The hundreds of volunteers needed for the USA Pro Challenge cycling race in Aspen on Aug. 19 through 21 will undergo mandatory training that includes “terrorism alerts,” according to organizers.
A USA Pro Challenge finish atop Rabbit Ears Pass would do more for Steamboat than another admittedly thrilling downtown sprint.
The just-announced course for the 2013 USA Pro Challenge has some big differences for Steamboat Springs, and this year will include some of locals' favorite road riding routes.
In 2013, the USA Pro Challenge is coming back to Steamboat Springs, and organizers hope viewers come away with Bike Town USA on the mind.
The pre-eminent pro cycling race in the U.S. will return to Steamboat next summer after skipping Northwest Colorado in 2012.
The USA Pro Cycling Challenge announced the dates of the 2013 tour Wednesday. An expected route should be announced in December.
Tyler Farrar, who limped to the finish of the Tour de France needing a hospital bed more than a bike, won a sprint finish Monday to earn the yellow jersey.
After being passed over for this year's race, the city plans to pursue a Pro Cycling Challenge stage for next year
After not getting a bid for the 2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge, Steamboat Springs plans to make another effort in 2013. The multi-stage road race featuring professional cyclists from across the globe starts Monday.
The inaugural USA Pro Cycling Challenge elicited a frenzied reaction from many in Colorado and certainly a lot of folks in Steamboat Springs.
The USA Pro Cycling Challenge is bringing back six of its 2011 host cities for next year’s race, but Steamboat Springs isn’t among them.
The Denver Post reported Thursday that a dozen Colorado towns won a stage for the second annual USA Pro Cycling Challenge. Steamboat is not on the list.
Pagosa Springs is offering Wolf Creek Pass as a mountaintop finish to the 2012 USA Pro Cycling Challenge, said Morgan Murri, chairman of the town’s local organizing committee, and Mt. Evans also is under consideration.
Race organizers still are looking at three or four options after initially planning to reveal the 2012 host cities Thursday.
A study of the race showed that more than 20 percent of spectators at the Aug. 22 to 28 race came from outside the state.
Chairman: City will apply to host Pro Cycling Challenge stage
The local organizing committee for the USA Pro Cycling Challenge hasn’t met to discuss next year’s race, but committee chairman Jim Schneider knows what the group will decide. "We’re absolutely going to submit a proposal and take our chances and see where we go,” Schneider said.
- • Share a photo or race-day story
- • Follow the hashtags #ProChallenge and #SteamboatPC for tweets about the USA Pro Challenge and the Bike Town USA Stages
- • Follow the Steamboat Pilot & Today on Twitter and Facebook
- • Follow the local organizing committee on Twitter and Facebook
- • Follow the Steamboat Springs Chamber Resort Association on Twitter and Facebook
- • Follow the USA Pro Challenge on Twitter and Facebook
Road closure information:
- • Map of downtown road closures
- • Google map of Stage 3 finish
- • Google map of Stage 4 start
- • CoTrip USA Pro Challenge information
- • CDOT highway impact information
- • USA Pro Challenge Spectator Guide
- • Steamboat Springs Transit special bus service guide
- • TV schedule
- • Bike Week events