Donald N. Shelton
October 17, 2013
Donald N. Shelton was born on February 27, 1921, in Hayden, Colorado the son of Samuel and Delcina (Neilsen) Shelton. Donald was raised and attended school in Hayden. Following high school Don attended college in Greeley for a short time.
He then joined the US Navy where he served for four years. Upon returning to Colorado Don went on to attend Colorado State Unviersity.
He married Doris Simpson on June 5, 1949, in Hayden, Colorado and they became the parents of two daughters Diana and Josephine. They lived for a time in Ft. Collins and then moved to Seattle where Don worked for Boeing as an aircraft mechanic. His work took them to many places over the years. Upon retiring Don moved to Montrose and then to Parachute where he lived for over twenty years.
He enjoyed playing golf, reading Westerns and mysteries and fishing.
Following his wife's death he moved to the east coast to be near his daughter Diana. He died on Sunday, October 6, 2013, in Potomac, Maryland. He was 92.
He is survived by his daughters Diana Shelton of Sterling, Virginia and Josephine (Mike) Whiteis of Everett, WA; his grand children Alison, Paul and Christopher and five great grandchildren.
He was preceded in death by his parents and a sister Marian Paxton.
Funeral services were held on Friday, October 11, 2013, at the Hayden Congregational Church with Pastor Janet Babish officiating. Interment followed in the Hayden Cemetery. Memorial donations may be made to the American Cancer Society, in care of Grant Mortuary.
Trending In: Obituaries
- Steamboat’s oldest downtown bar and restaurant listed for sale for $1
- Former Steamboat City Council President accused of trying to intimidate a fellow council member from speaking out on housing project
- Witness who saw woman being brutally assaulted by boyfriend recognized as hero
- New Thai restaurant coming to spice things up at base of Steamboat Ski Area
- Uber incident in Vail sparks statewide investigation, ends in $8.9 million fine