Maxine Ohman: Center serves several community needs
May 23, 2006
This is regarding the Steamboat Springs Community Center, which many different organizations have used and enjoyed for many years. I have made a list of some ongoing activities at the community center:
1) The Seniors Lunch is prepared and served by our very talented and capable cook, Peggy. The fellowship is an important addition to our lunchtime together. Peggy prepares an average of 75 to 100 meals daily, which include Meals on Wheels. Also, a part of the program is Shelley’s assistance to seniors — more recently with the new insurance plan. And for those needing transportation, Nancy’s faithfulness to a regional joint effort between Routt County and the Routt County Council on Aging provides a van service for seniors in the county. More programs offered to seniors include Visibilities, a wellness clinic, a foot care clinic, VNA, exercise class, blood pressure checks, watercolor painting and the popular Friday Bingo.
2) Sanctioned bridge once a week.
3) AARP defensive driving course.
4) American Legion and Auxiliary
5) Steamboat Springs Lions Club Fourth of July breakfast, which gives proceeds to many different organizations in the community. Proceeds have bought kitchen equipment, sponsored the Lions Camp and Woodland Park for the Handicapped, bought eyeglasses for county residents, helped fund scholarships for local high school seniors and made a large donation to Hurricane Katrina relief.
Recommended Stories For You
6) Early Morning Coffee (Peggy makes coffee and goodies) for men before heading off to work in construction or business. This service is open to anyone.
7) Wedding receptions.
8) Birthday celebrations.
9) Bridal and baby showers.
10) United Way Thanksgiving dinner for the community. The dinner serves about 400 guests with live entertainment.
11) Realtors Christmas dinner for the community. The dinner serves about 400 guests with live entertainment.
12) The annual arrival of Santa Claus and his helpers, bringing stuffed Christmas stockings for each senior citizen.
13)The annual Spring Fling — a gala event.
The Stock Bridge location is more user-friendly and the obvious choice for the new community center. You will all be seniors one day if you live long enough!