Laundry catches fire in Oak Creek home |

Laundry catches fire in Oak Creek home

Brent Boyer

— A pile of laundry stacked in front of a bathroom wall heater ignited early Wednesday in an Oak Creek home. Neither of the home's two occupants were hurt, but the small fire caused an estimated $3,000 in damage.

Oak Creek Fire Protection District Chief Chuck Wisecup said a woman was watching TV downstairs when she noticed smoke. She went upstairs and opened the bathroom door and the resulting rush of oxygen to the smoldering fire caused it to flare up, Wisecup said. The woman threw a blanket over the fire to smother it and closed the door before calling for help.

The woman and her teenage daughter were outside of the home in the 300 block of Bell Ave­­nue when firefighters arrived at about 12:40 a.m. Wednesday. Crews put out the fire with a foam extinguisher, Wisecup said.

They remained on scene until about 2 a.m. to make sure the smoke had cleared from the home and that there were no remaining hot spots behind the bathroom drywall.

Wisecup said the electrical wall heater in the bathroom typically wasn't used by the residents, and they're not sure why it kicked on. He estimated the damage to the bathroom at about $3,000. The woman was treated on scene for minor smoke inhalation. Her daughter was fine.

Go back to article