Housekeeper accidentally gets high after eating found chocolate bar in Steamboat Springs
March 11, 2014
Steamboat Springs — A housekeeper with a sweet tooth reportedly got extremely high Monday when he indulged in a chocolate bar left behind in a condo.
The 18-year-old man told police he did not know the foil-wrapped chocolate was infused with marijuana.
“He decided to eat the entire chocolate bar,” Steamboat Springs Police Department Sgt. Scott Middleton said. “Within five minutes, he was very affected by it.”
The man started feeling funny, and co-workers at the vacation condo complex in the 1400 block of Pine Grove Road called for an ambulance.
He was taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center and treated for an overdose, Middleton said.
Middleton said the candy bar wrapper had “very fine print” that said the product contained tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC.
While it still is illegal for people younger than 21 to consume marijuana for recreational use, Middleton said charges were not pursued because the man claimed he mistakenly ingested it.
Middleton noted the potency of infused marijuana products can be quite high. Some infused chocolate bars sold for recreational use in Steamboat can contain 100 mg of THC.