Health briefs: Tobacco users urged to quit during Great American Smokeout on Thursday
November 17, 2013
Great American Smokeout is Thursday
Steamboat Springs — The Great American Smokeout is Thursday. Quitting tobacco usually takes multiple attempts, but studies show support can significantly improve a person's chance for success. The following free support services are offered in Routt County:
• The Colorado QuitLine offers free personalized cessation phone support by calling 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
• SmokefreeTXT is a mobile service providing encouragement and tips to help young smokers quit for good. To sign up, text QUIT to 47848 or go to http://www.smokefree.gov.
• The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association offers counseling with a tobacco cessation specialist by calling 970-871-7634.
Whooping cough cases surge in Colorado in October
Responding to a recent surge in cases of whooping cough, the Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association is reminding Coloradans to make sure they are up to date on vaccinations. The Tdap vaccine is recommended for:
· Children ages 7 to 10 who are not fully immunized with the childhood DTaP vaccine series
· Adolescents ages 11 and 12
· Adults who never have received a Tdap vaccine
· Women at 27 to 36 weeks of pregnancy
· Parents and caregivers of infants younger than 12 months, including grandparents, babysitters and child care workers
· Health care workers
· Others who plan to have close contact with an infant
The Tdap vaccine can be received at all VNA flu clinics or from a private medical provider. For a list of flu clinics, call 970-871-7624 or go to http://www.nwcovna.org/flu.php.
Children’s Grief Awareness Day is Thursday
A Children’s Grief Awareness Day event is from 4 to 5 p.m. Thursday at the Boys and Girls Club of Steamboat Springs. The event will feature a presentation about positive ways to deal with loss, and then children will decorate a banner and draw pictures with the theme of hope. For more information, contact Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association medical social worker Katy Thiel at 970-871-7628 or email@example.com.
Free children’s cooking demonstration Monday
A “Food for Thanks” cooking demonstration is at 4:30 p.m. Monday at Natural Grocers, 335 Lincoln Ave. The free event is for children ages 4 to 8 and a parent. It will be led by Grady Turner.
Support groups to meet this week
• A bereavement support group meets from 1 to 2 p.m. Monday at Rollingstone Respite House. The group is open to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. Call 970-871-7628 prior to attending your first meeting.
• A domestic violence support group for women meets from noon to 1 p.m. at the office of Advocates Building Peaceful Communities. Call Diane at 970-879-2034 before attending.
• The Heartbeat Suicide Survivor Support Group meets from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Yampa Valley Medical Center Integrated Health, 3001 S. Lincoln Ave. The group helps survivors learn skills to help manage grief. Enroll by calling 970-846-8182.
• A depression, anxiety and bipolar support group meets from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday at Yampa Valley Medical Center’s Conference Room 2, 1024 Central Park Drive. The group offers support, education and tools to help with everyday life. Family and friends are welcome to attend. Call 970-819-6751 for more information.
Health insurance marketplace meetings scheduled
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association is hosting a series of free information sessions to answer questions about the new health insurance marketplace, Connect for Health Colorado. A health coverage guide will attend the meetings for individuals, families and small-business owners interested in learning about their options for health insurance under new the legislation. The meeting dates are as follows:
Monday: 1 to 3 p.m. at LIFT-UP of Routt County
Tuesday: 4 to 6 p.m. at the Haven Community Center
Nov. 25: 1 to 3 p.m. at LIFT-UP of Routt County
Nov. 26: 4 to 6 p.m. at the Haven Community Center
For more information, call 970-871-7638.
To submit a health brief, email happenings@SteamboatToday.com.