Fire damages detail shop in Craig |

Fire damages detail shop in Craig

Early Sunday blaze causes significant damage to Northwest Detail

Scott Schlaufman

A fire early this morning heavily damaged Northwest Detail, a Craig business at 197 Commerce St.

Craig Fire/Rescue responded to the report of a structure fire about 3:40 a.m.

About three-quarters of the building was ablaze when firefighters arrived on the scene, fire chief Bill Johnston said.

Firefighters worked for five hours putting out and investigating the fire, the fire chief said.

Six engines and 23 firefighters responded to the scene. The Memorial Hospital EMS and Craig Police Department assisted firefighters with the call.

A faulty electrical system of a vehicle inside the shop is believed to have caused the fire, Johnston said.

Recommended Stories For You

The vehicle was plugged in and may have had a short that caused the vehicle to catch fire, Johnston added. The fire then spread to the rest of the building.

Several vehicles were inside the shop at the time of the fire and the fuel inside the vehicles helped feed the fire.

Johnston said arson has been ruled out as a cause.

"It is not suspicious in nature," he said.

Johnston didn't have an estimate of damages to the building, but said it is unsafe for use.

"The inside of the building is pretty compromised due to heat," Johnston said. "The structure of the metal building is in question because of the high heat melting the structural members.

"I don't know if it's a total loss, but it's got some pretty good damage to it."

No one was in the shop at the time of the fire and there were no injuries.

Representatives from Victory Motors, which owns the shop, were not available for comment.

Scott Schlaufman can be reached at 875-1792 or

Go back to article