Fire causes heavy damage to Steamboat Springs home
February 15, 2013
Steamboat Springs — There was significant damage, but no one was injured when a house caught fire early Friday in Steamboat Springs.
Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue Chief Mel Stewart said a resident inside the rental home at 2655 Anthony Circle woke up because he was hot. While looking out a window, he noticed the glow from the fire outside the home.
The resident alerted the other six adult tenants at the home, and the fire was reported at 4:47 a.m.
Stewart said that 16 people from the fire department helped with the fire and that the fire was out by 6 a.m.
There was significant smoke and fire damage to the three-story, 3,300-square-foot home that has a basement apartment.
"We don't have any idea what started the fire right now," Stewart said. "It seems like it may have started on the deck."
Recommended Stories For You
Stewart said that there was a grill on the deck but that it had not been used the previous night and there were no other obvious ignition sources on the deck.
"No usual suspects," Stewart said.
The residents at the house told Stewart they suspected the fire might have been caused by an electrical issue because the power to the top story of the home had gone out the day before.
Stewart said the American Red Cross had been contacted to help the displaced tenants.
According to the Routt County Assessor's website, Michigan resident Ben Heller purchased the home for $800,000 in 2007.
To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com