Fire causes heavy damage in North Routt County
July 3, 2013
North Routt — A fire caused significant damage to a large detached garage in North Routt County on Wednesday morning.
Routt County Sheriff's Office deputy Juan Berber spotted the smoke coming from the fire while patrolling farther to the north.
Deputies were able to find the source of the smoke at the garage in the Willow Creek Pass Village subdivision. Smoke was coming from the roof at 58075 Jupiter Place. North Routt Fire Protection District Chief Bob Reilley said flames were visible when firefighters arrived, but the residents were not home.
Berber said the fire caused ammunition to go off inside the garage. Firefighters could be seen carrying out multiple gas cans.
Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters came to help with the fire, which was knocked down by about noon.
"We have to make sure we get it out all the way," Reilley said.
Recommended Stories For You
Reilley said they think the fire started in the back of the garage, but it was not clear what started it.
According to Routt County Assessor records, the home is owned by Bill and Connie Myers.
To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com