Fire alarm may have saved man’s life in Steamboat
January 2, 2013
Steamboat Springs — A smoke alarm might have saved a building and a man's life early Wednesday morning in Steamboat Springs.
Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were dispatched to a possible structure fire shortly before 1 a.m. at 3170 Columbine Drive.
Chief Mel Stewart said a man at that location had put a pan with oil on the stove before falling asleep. The pan began smoking, and a smoke alarm went off, but it did not wake up the man. Stewart said neighbors heard the alarm, smelled the smoke and reported the possible fire.
Firefighters had to force their way into the residence, which had filled with smoke. Stewart said the pan was red hot when firefighters found it, but there was no fire.
To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com