Farm Service Agency may be able to help ranchers affected by flooding |

Farm Service Agency may be able to help ranchers affected by flooding

Pilot & Today Staff

— The Routt-Jackson-Grand-Summit Farm Service Agency said in a news release that agricultural land owners might be eligible for assistance if they have been affected by recent flooding on their hay ground and pasture.

Details from the news release are here:

The Emergency Conservation Program (ECP) provides emergency funding and technical assistance for farmers and ranchers to rehabilitate farmland damaged by natural disasters. For land to be eligible, the disaster must create new conservation problems that, if left untreated, would impair or endanger the land, materially affect the land's productive capacity, and/or be so costly to repair that federal assistance is required to return the land to productive agricultural use. Some of the emergency conservation practices that are covered under ECP include the removal of debris, the restoration of damaged fences, and the reparation of damaged conservation structures.

The Emergency Assistance for Livestock Program (ELAP) provides emergency assistance to eligible producers of livestock that have feed or grazing losses due to natural disasters. Some of the costs that may be covered under this program include the purchase of forage or feed, the costs incurred by transporting feed, and grazing losses based on the normal carrying capacity of the eligible grazing land.

The Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program (NAP) provides financial assistance to producers of non-insurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory, or prevented planting occur because of natural disasters. Producers who bought NAP coverage on their grass or alfalfa hay and pasture ground for 2011 would be covered under this program for any damage incurred by recent flooding.

Producers who feel that they have suffered a qualifying loss or would like more information on the programs are encouraged to contact the Routt-Jackson-Grand-Summit FSA Office by calling 970-879-3225, ext. 2, or stopping by the office in the Pine Grove Center. More information on the programs is also available online at under the subject heading Disaster Assistance Programs.

Recommended Stories For You

Go back to article