Dog dies in mobile home fire near Hayden |

Dog dies in mobile home fire near Hayden

— A mobile home was destroyed and a dog was killed in a fire near Hayden on Tuesday morning.

A neighbor reported that a mobile home was engulfed in flames at about 6:10 a.m. at 32625 Routt County Road 37, which is about nine miles south of town, where the Sage Creek Reservoir used to be located.

West Routt Fire Protection District Chief Bryan Rickman said that the owner of the mobile home was renting it but that the renters had moved out because the water pipes had been freezing. The renters left the dog in a kennel at the mobile home and last checked on it Monday night, Rickman said.

The dog's kennel had a heat lamp, and heaters also were being used underneath the trailer to thaw the pipes. Rickman suspected the heat lamp or heaters caused the fire.

The trailer and its contents were destroyed in the fire. Rickman estimated the damage at $50,000.

Nine firefighters responded to the fire in addition to the Routt County Sheriff's Office.

Recommended Stories For You

Go back to article