Chimney fire spreads to roof of Steamboat home, but no farther
November 29, 2011
Steamboat Springs — A chimney fire spread to the shaker roof of a home in Strawberry Park on Monday night, but firefighters knocked down the blaze before it engulfed any more of the residence.
Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue was called to the home in the 41000 block of Routt County Road 38A a little after 8 p.m. Monday. Fire Rescue Chief Ron Lindroth said a chimney chase and the home's shake shingle roof was on fire when crews arrived on scene.
The home's occupants were safely out of the residence when firefighters knocked down the fire from the ground. Firefighters then climbed to the roof to finish extinguishing the blaze.
No one was seriously injured, though one firefighter hurt his foot when he stepped on a nail, according to a news release. A total of 12 firefighters and two command officers responded to the fire.
Lindroth said the damage from the fire was limited to the exterior of the home and that the residents were able to spend the night in their own beds. The damage to the roof and chimney is estimated to be about $25,000.
Lindroth said the cause of the fire likely was the buildup of creosote in the chimney, which then caught on fire and spread to the wood roof. Creosote is the flammable tar deposited by burning wood.
Recommended Stories For You
Lindroth urged residents and businesses with wood-burning stoves and fireplaces to have their chimneys cleaned on an annual basis to reduce the risk of fire. For more information, call Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue at 970-871-8216.