Camper and truck destroyed in Stagecoach fire
July 3, 2014
Steamboat Springs — No one was hurt Wednesday when a camper and truck caught fire at a parking area near the Stagecoach Reservoir dam.
Oak Creek Fire Protection District Chief Chuck Wisecup said they were dispatched at 8:45 a.m. for a report of an explosion.
"There was a pretty good column of smoke in the air," Wisecup said.
When firefighters arrived, they found a pickup and pop-up camper on fire. They quickly put out the fire and kept it from turning into a wildland fire.
Wisecup said the owner of the camper recently had purchased the camper as a birthday present to himself. The camper had some electrical problems, and the owner was working with the fuses when the fire started. Wisecup said he tried to put the fire out with an extinguisher.
Wisecup said he found wiring that led him to think the fire started because of a short circuit related to the camper's water heater.
Recommended Stories For You
Two other vehicles parked close to the fire were not damaged, but there was minor heat damage to a nearby restroom window.
Oak Creek firefighters were helped by staff from Stagecoach State Park and the Routt County Sheriff's Office.