Cabin catches fire at Steamboat performing arts camp | SteamboatToday.com

Cabin catches fire at Steamboat performing arts camp

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS β€” A bird’s nest in a chimney was suspected of causing a fire Friday at Perry-Mansfield Performing Arts School and Camp.
Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called about the fire shortly before 10 p.m. at the camp located along Routt County Road 36.
Deputy fire chief Chuck Cerasoli said the fire spread into the roof, and they responded with eight people and a water tender, engine and an ambulance.
The water tender was needed because there are no fire hydrants at the camp.
"We were able to get it knocked down pretty quick," Cerasoli said. "It was a good stop. It was definitely going in the roof."
The man who reported the fire believed it was caused by a bird’s nest in the chimney.
The man suffered a minor burn to his hand while trying to put out the fire with a fire extinguisher.
Cerasoli said it served as a good reminder not to put yourself in harm’s way to put out a fire.
While at the fire, Steamboat firefighters were called about another possible fire at Colorado Mountain College.
Two firefighters in an ambulance went to investigate.
It was an alarm, and turned out to be nothing, but Cerasoli said it took away personnel from the actual fire at Perry-Mansfield.
"It initially left us short-staffed for the fire," Cerasoli said.
To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247, email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @SBTStensland

Go back to article