Briefs for March 8 |

Back to: News

Briefs for March 8

Stahoviak set back by knee infection

Routt County Commissioner Nancy Stahoviak is facing yet another setback in her struggle with knee infections.

Late last week, doctors discovered an infection in her right knee, in which a permanent implant was installed in late January. That implant was necessary because an infection was discovered in a previous implant in November.

Stahoviak said on Monday that she knew that the risk of another infection was high when she decided to have another implant installed.

On Monday, doctors put an I.V. into her knee through which antibiotics will be fed. Tests that show what kind of infection is in her knee are necessary before her next options can be determined, Stahoviak said. The ultimate option still could be amputation, she said.

“I am still so very grateful for everything everyone has done for me,” Stahoviak said.

Stahoviak has been in and out of the hospital since December 2003, when she was flown to Denver because of life-threatening kidney failure and infections. She eventually had temporary replacements and then permanent replacements put in each knee.

Lost skier spends

the night outside

An Illinois man was found tired but unharmed after spending a night in a drainage outside the ski area.

Routt County Search and Rescue spent Sunday night and part of Monday morning searching for the 46-year-old, whose named was not released.

The man spent the night in the Beaver Creek drainage southeast of Rendezvous Saddle. He became stuck there after ducking a rope at the Steamboat Ski Area on Sunday afternoon, Search and Rescue Incident Commander Scott Havener said.

About 10 a.m. Monday, rescue crews spotted the man from a helicopter. It took another two to three hours to get him out.

The man told rescuers he had been on a cat track in the Hot Cakes area and saw tracks leading underneath an out-of-bounds rope. He thought the tracks would lead to a shortcut cut to the bottom of the hill, Havener said.

The man followed the tracks and then took off his skis in a heavily treed area, fearing he could not ski around the trees. Without any snowshoes, the man was post-holing through the snow. Making little progress, he decided to hunker down for the night. He had warm clothes but no matches or food.

Search and Rescue was notified about 8 p.m., and a night search was launched at 10 p.m. That effort was called off at 3 a.m. Monday and resumed at 8 a.m.

A skier who had gone out of bounds and into the drainage area then contacted Search and Rescue, saying he thought he had found the lost skier. At about the same time, the man was spotted from the helicopter. Crews could see him post-holing through the snow, walking a few steps and then sitting down to rest.

The man was returned to his family by about 2:30 p.m.

The area where he was lost is a common spot for searches, Havener said. During Monday’s search, they saw many tracks and spotted four skiers in the area.