Organizers announced the USA Pro Challenge professional cycling race will skip the 2016 season. The event, which would have put on its six consecutive race in the summer, stopped in Steamboat Springs for parts of six stages in three years, starting with its inaugural running in 2011.

Photo by Matt Stensland

USA Pro Challenge in peril, skipping 2016

— The USA Pro Challenge dominated Steamboat Springs for a week last summer, the professional cycling race’s third stop in the city in its five-year history.

It may not return any time soon.

Race organizers announced Friday they are suspending the 2016 version of the event.

“What we don't want to do is put a Band-Aid on this. We are going to take a pause and focus," Shawn Hunter, the longtime chief of the race, told the Denver Post. “Unless we can pull this off in a manner like we have for the last five years, we think the prudent thing is to hold off and launch in 2017.”

The announcement caps, at least for now, a short and turbulent life for the event, which counted nearly as many official names changes as bike races.

At the root of the unrest was the race’s owners, Colorado restaurateurs Rick and Richard Schaden. According to the Post, they struggled to get the race to a break-even point, eventually pumping in more than $20 million of their own money before relinquishing control last September.

That freed long-time race organizer CEO Shawn Hunter to chase down new ownership.

He said he’ll need a little more time.

“As we finish the transition of the USA Pro Challenge to a new ownership group, the focus has been on the continuing legacy of the race,” Hunter said in a news release. “The timing and work involved in this endeavor does not allow us to produce the event in 2016 and achieve all the goals of our important stakeholders. Instead, we have targeted 2017 to restart this iconic race. “

Race will be remembered

In its three stops in Steamboat Springs, the race did leave an indelible mark.

In 2011, the race’s inaugural running, thousands of fans roared as Italian rider Elia Viviani won a dramatic sprint to the finish.

A heart-stopping breakaway attempt by German cycling legend Jens Voigt defined the race’s entrance in Steamboat in 2013. His gritty attempt came up just short, and Peter Sagan went on to win the sprint finish.

Steamboat was the site of both a stage finish and a stage start in 2011 and 2013. In 2015, it got even more, playing host to the overall event start, in addition to another stage start.
Teams spent much of the week before the race in town training on local routes. Stage 1 consisted of two circuit laps on county roads. It wasn’t expected to be a difficult day by pro cycling standards, but the area’s geography took a bigger bite than expected.
The peloton shattered on South Routt County’s persistent climbs, and Colorado rider Taylor Phinney emerged from the survivors to win a surprise victory in his home state.

Fans dotted the entire course and packed downtown. When the race rode over Rabbit Ears Pass a day later, hundreds more waited there.

“It was absolutely fantastic,” said Jim Schneider on Friday, reminiscing about the summer.

“It was one of the best events, if not the best event, we’ve seen in the summer in Steamboat,” he said. “It was great.”

Schneider was a staple on a local committee that helped bring the race to Steamboat. The city being the site of the race’s 2015 start was the result of a two-year endeavor.

He said there were no plans to try to land a stage in 2016, as the city had adopted an every-other-year schedule, but he added it would likely have been in the mix for 2017.

He’s hopeful Steamboat can still get that crack at 2017.

“I know they had some challenges, financially,” Schneider said. “They’re trying to make it positive. Shawn Hunter and the group that’s organizing it has certainly done a great job in the decisions they’ve made.”

Fans sad to say goodbye

Local cycling fans aren't optimistic about seeing the event return. Instead, their attitude was more, “Be happy it came rather than sad it’s gone.”

“I don’t think anyone who follows bike racing in the United States was surprised,” local cyclist Corey Piscopo said of the news. “It’s incredibly expensive to pull off an event of that scale, and it’s a repeated pattern in the United States that those events have come and gone.”

If it doesn’t return, the race will join a graveyard that includes top-notch events such as Tour of Georgia and Tour of Missouri, as well as the Coors Classic, a stage race that crisscrossed Colorado in the 1980s.

Losing the event is a bittersweet pill to swallow for local pro cyclist Amy Charity.

Charity cheered on all three finishes in Steamboat Springs, then got the chance to take part last year. She competed with her pro team in the first, and potentially only, women’s USA Pro Challenge.

There were bright spots on both ends, she said.

“Watching the race come into Steamboat was amazing,” she said. “Just to see everyone so excited and to see the little kids cheering and knowing the names of some of the cyclists was so huge. The finish downtown was picture-perfect.”

Riding in a supporting role for her Optum Pro Cycling teammates, she ended up in 21st place in the three-stage event. A stage from Loveland to Fort Collins, going over Rist Canyon, stood as a highlight.

“That was one of the hardest moments of my life,” Charity said. “Now, in hindsight, I remember it being great.

“I’m very biased, but Colorado is the best state to ride a bike in, and the Pro Challenge put on a beautiful race. It was great to have it, and I really hope it will come back.”

To reach Joel Reichenberger, call 970-871-4253, email jreichenberger@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @JReich9

Comments

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

Agreed, Bill. Get out... and don't let the door hit you in your skinny, uppity, holier-than-thou, little bicycle-riding rear ends.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 2 months ago

"helped bring world class racing to Colorado"

Not in the 2015 race which had second rate pro teams and some amateur teams.

The "sponsorship issue" is that the family organizing the race didn't want to keep losing $10M per year sponsoring the race.

Joel Reichenberger 1 year, 2 months ago

It's really a bit more complicated than that, Scott. Jason Blevins with the Denver Post has owned this story and really laid it out well in August, explaining that one of the reasons for "sponsorship issues" may be the owners themselves. Here's that story:

Joel Reichenberger Sports editor

jeff roman 1 year, 2 months ago

it was fun,but how long can you support a losing proposition.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 2 months ago

I wonder if mountain towns getting behind a lower budget stage race is possible. The SB marathon is a popular event without needing to pay for world class competitors to appear. A mountainous Colorado stage race might interest regional semi pro bike teams. And presumably, could also do it with a women's race and even a Cat 3 division so there are lots of competitors.

What makes the event is not the 35 seconds of bike racers coming down Lincoln, but all the other stuff such as the promotional tents and other bike related events.

Joel,

It isn't really more complicated than it being a major money losing proposition. The bike race was not involved in the lawsuits and would have found a willing buyer if it was seen as a good event. Sure, the current sponsors may not like dealing with lawsuit plagued organizers, but that would make the race more attractive to a potential buyer. The fact that they weren't able to sell it to anyone willing to continue the event shows the bad financial situation of hosting the stage race.

The race's real problem is that top pro racers have lots opportunities to make money in Europe after the Tour de France in front of large crowds. It takes serious money to pull them to race in the US. It is the same problem that faced all of the prior attempts at organizing a late summer US stage race.

The California based Amgen sponsored stage race has an organizer that worked with the big teams to create a race which is what the top riders want for Tour de France training. The Tour de Italia is too hard in too much bad weather to be ideal training. Thus, the Amgen California tour has been able to recruit top teams and are racing between major cities where publicity is worth a lot more to sponsors than racing in comparatively small mountain towns.

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

Wait... you mean to tell me that Amgen... one of those "evil, greedy drug companies" sponsors a bike race, largely for people who likely vote to SCREW them to the wall politically? I didn't think those "evil corporations" ever "gave back" to the community...

George Fargo 1 year, 2 months ago

It's not "losing money" nor "giving back", it's called "advertising".

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

OK. It's STILL corporations spending money into a community event that attracts LOTS of folks who are all-to-ready to bitch about corporations.

They could just buy back shares or raise their dividend, (or as many would suggest, just use the money on bribes to congress-critters)

If corporate America is so corrupt, then why are they bothering with cyclists? Why not "cut out the middle man" and go straight to Mordor-on-the-Potomac with their "influence money".?????

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

To quote YOU, Pat West... you're a "typical forum {basspole} [that], can't take a joke", Pat...

Tom Willman 1 year, 2 months ago

I tell ya...this "PC" garbage is part of the downfall and "wussification" of this culture.

The cancellation of this event is proof positive that even the 1% ers have their limits. Now if only the naive American voters who support "The Berning-Man" would see that NOTHING IS FREE. This "bike-race" wasn't "free" and neither are the "Socialists" proposed programs.

Cheers!

Scott Wedel 1 year, 2 months ago

You find only reasonable commentary in "Get out... and don't let the door hit you in your skinny, uppity, holier-than-thou, little bicycle-riding rear ends."?

You don't find a hateful attitude in that?

Eric J. Bowman 1 year, 2 months ago

You sound just like Trump -- basic, common courtesy is now to be derided as so much PC claptrap. Because that's how you come across -- only a "wuss" would ever say "excuse me" while, say, grocery shopping. Anyone who doesn't like it, is the hater!

jerry carlton 1 year, 2 months ago

People would like bicyclists better if they quit running stop signs and red lights.

bill schurman 1 year, 2 months ago

Let's replace the Pro Cycling week with a NOTHING week so that those who live here can enjoy the community.

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

They nave one of those in Telluride every summer, the Nothing Festival, where there are no events but they sell T-shirts for it, the essence saying "Nothing is happening. Leave me alone" which sort of summarizes the attitude there: We don't have much use for you -- just spend your money and go home. Two years of that, and I fled back here. The tourists don't bother me, except when I'm driving, and I have to remind myself, be cool, you'll get there...

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

Who does Pat, Scott, and the brave "thumbs up" anonymous posters think they are kidding?

Road cyclists, as a whole, ARE the most uppity, skinny, holier-than-thou people I have met outside of a Realtors cocktail party or political event.

Has anyone, ever, ever, ever seen a road cyclist SMILING as they rode by??

I see mtn bikers smiling all the time. Road bikers? Hardly ever.

As far as the "holier-than-thou" part... aren't YOU a road cyclist Scott???

Scott Wedel 1 year, 2 months ago

You get upset when anyone says anything negative about conservatives or you and yet you proclaim your right to personally attack everyone else.

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

And that's not entirely true. When Trump said negative things about GW Bush the other night, I agreed... because Trump was right. The Iraq invasion WAS a total cluster. And 9/11 DID happen on GW's watch. Trump even left one out that he should have hit the Bush family with: Before Obama, Bush was the spendingist president in the history of the republic.

Mark,

I would seriously say that you need to curtail saying "you" in your posts by which you lump the person you are responding to be among the objects of your rants.

I was saying how you don't like comments framed as "You conservatives are a bunch of ignorant racists because of what this White supremacist said" where you are told by someone else to what group(s) you belong and then that one person claimed to be part of that group then defines the entire group. And yet you do that often enough.

BTW, just curious, what do people say to you when they learn you are the Mark H that posts to the forums? People tell me that I am sometimes right, sometimes wrong, but at least I am not nasty like you.

jerry carlton 1 year, 2 months ago

Scott W Has anyone ever told you that you post too much?

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

"Nasty" is taking the once great republic I was born in and burdening it with $29 trillion in debt.

"Nasty" is opening it's borders to the hoards, and pretending none of it is happening.

"Nasty" is whining about having to live alongside people who speak out against homosexuality, while fighting to import people who happily KILL homosexuals.

"Nasty" is accusing people of fighting a "war on women" while working to import people who mutilate women's genitals.

"Nasty" is sucking a babies brains into a sink and selling the rest to the highest bidder and calling ME "nasty" for pointing it out.

"Nasty" is pretending to care about "sustainability" of the environment while not giving a tinkers dam about economic sustainability.

"Nasty" is trying to usurp my rights, micro-manage my life, bankrupt my country, subvert and mock my religion, and empowering others to do to me what sensible laws will not allow them to do to me individually.

"Nasty" is doing all this and then calling ME the problem.

So frankly, considering the source of the "nasty" label, I wear it as a badge of honor. It's the LEAST I can do in returning the favor.

Mark,

My question was not whether there are issues which you think are important. The post above is actually fine because you are saying why you are passionate about issues. It is when you go after someone as being a liberal and then going on a rant on why liberals are evil that are nasty because you have just said that person is also evil.

My question is what happens when someone recognizes you as being Mark H that posts here?

Phoebe Hackman 1 year, 2 months ago

Scott, Mark was deflecting because any chance of him running into people who read his posts is unlikely, since he doesn't live in Steamboat. Or even Colorado, for that matter.

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

Answer: It has seriously never (or rarely) came up. Unlike many people, I am capable of completely separating my comments on this blog from the rest of everything I do. I can interact with people and be friends with them WITHOUT having to walk in lock-step politically... and I have done so all my life quite successfully.

And "deflecting" is also what Phoebe is doing by attempting to dilute the substance of my comparisons by attacking me as "an outsider", instead of defending the positions I attacked... some of wich SHE HERSELF has attacked ME for in rather "nasty" ways i the past.

Like when she called me a liar when I said I was in Alaska, only to be proven WRONG when I posted the train ticket from the White Pass + Yukon Route Railway WITH MY NAME and date on it. Did you see that post, Phoebe?

Or when she berated me for my stand on homosexual marriage...

Rarely see anyone defending pro-homosexual marriage AND importing homosexual KILLERS i the same breath... Why? Because the two positions are COMPLETELY incompatible... except in the mind of a progressive liberal.

Eric J. Bowman 1 year, 2 months ago

Not sure I believe that. I'm amazed Wedell can post so much here, when I see him outside in Oak Creek most days. For you to be able to actually out-post him, Mark, speaks to your need to perhaps get a life...

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

You got a point there. I'm taking that to heart...

Scott Wedel 1 year, 2 months ago

Ah, there you go again. You say that liberals like Phoebe support importing homosexual killers and that is related to supporting gay marriage. I have no idea where you dug up that anyone supports importing killers, but nothing stops you when you go nasty.

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

No, of course not, Scott. Liberal progressives don't support bringing in killers. They just support the people who support bringing in people who will ABSOLUTELY have killers among them... and rapists, and people who largely refuse to assimilate, and who demand to live under an entirely different set of values, culture and law.

But do you support it?? Heavens no! Not YOU... OTHER leftist progressives!...

Don't support killers, just support the people who support the actions that precipitate the bringing in of killers.

Boy that's what I call "a distinction without a difference".

Able to see no connection here, but I'm sure a case can be made for how squishing a butterfly in Brazil causes global warming, right?

Who do you folks think you are BS'ing?

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

Would it be your contention, Phoebe, that my positions are invalid due to my primary address, or due to their conflict with YOUR positions??

Do "foreigners" have a say in Steamboat? Are you "inclusive" or are you one of those "exclusionary" white privilege folks? And if so, does that mean it's ok to be asked for ID before I get to vote in Steamboat elections?

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Has anybody ever met Mark? Are you a real person, Mark? Has anybody within this circulation ever met Mark? A person who doesn't work for the Pilot/Today?

I would suggest that he is a shill. A paid agitator on the Pilot staff, meant to kick up controversy, page counts, and advertising revenue. He lives here, but he goes by another name, and nobody would ever guess.

Paranoid? Conspiracy? HA!! Show your face, to one real person we know. Many of us know one another -- who knows Mark?

Eric J. Bowman 1 year, 2 months ago

Seems like it would be cheaper to just re-instate anonymous commenting. ;-) I still think of Mark as sledneck, anyway.

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Remember "Dr. Victory"? Didn't "she" sound a lot like "Mark"? One wonders how many personae this vile person assumes, in their never-ending quest to impart guilt trips, envy, and further exploit all human weakness, all part of an effort to demonstrate their superiority, lording down on their minions from their mansion on the hill, and alternately preaching from their pulpit -- and it's all been a FAKE!! We bought into it for years.

Where do you REALLY live, "Mark"? And what do you really drive?

HA HA HA, you idiot -- BUSTED!!

You got me...

When I'm in VA, I drive a 2014 Lamborghini Aventador with VA liscense plate: "SLEDNEK". While in CO I drive a red 1999 flatbed chevy truck with sleds on the back and CO plate "SLEDNEK". IN UT I drive a 2013 white flatbed with UT plates "SLEDNEK".

I split my time between VA, UT and CO, and have business and investment interests in all 3 states.

I also have three wives (one for each state)... all prettier than the other.

I'll dig up all 3 state license plates and post them soon to show you "tolerant" folks I actually exist so the witch trial can continue unabated...

Kind of like how I had to "prove" to Phoebe that I was actually in Alaska when I made that "outrageous" claim...

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

"Who's BS'ing who? You're a fraud."

Elaborate. Defend your position... ANY of them. Instead of name-calling, defend your accusation, for example, that I'm a fraud.

I explained my position about road bikers by saying I'd never seen one smiling.

Show enough intelligence to defend your position with something besides "you're a __". I know you have it... show it...

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

"defend your accusation"? Who do you think you're kidding? There are several active contributors who can attest to my physical reality. WHO KNOWS YOU? I have yet to hear from one person who has met you. Why is that? Are you a recluse?

Now that I think back a ways, I am still relatively certain that it was you -- whoever you are -- who snooped out my brother, years ago, based on a loose reference I made in the forums (I don't give any of my few other detractors credit with the wherewithal) inciting inquiries at levels you could never imagine, and causing a rift in the family which exists to this day.

And to think it wasn't some redneck off in the woods, but a clever shill within the city limits, giggling as he infuriated the common folk -- one with the resources, wherewithal, and time, on the clock such as "he" is -- rich bastard my ass.

Prove you're NOT a fraud. Name ONE PERSON who knows you.

Barring evidence of "his" actual existence, I see no reason to respond to this puppet again.

"Don't look behind that curtain!!"

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

So, you are incapable of defending your positions. Thought as much...

Julia Dancy 1 year, 2 months ago

This right here is why I read the threads. Thank you, ladies and gents, well-played today.

Chris Hadlock 1 year, 2 months ago

When I meet people out there in public spaces they most frequent comment is:

"Keep it up Chris, that Hartless guy is really an &^%$ "

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

"He" wouldn't be the first alter-ego in here.

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

But you have to consider the source, Chris. You don't hang around with objective people. You associate with profane losers...That's why you get those "nasty" descriptions of me. If you associated with more objective folks, who were more civilized and educated, they would never use such language... What barbarians...!

You should consider your company...

Chris Hadlock 1 year, 2 months ago

You are probably correct Mark, Those City Council Members, School Board Members, County Commissioners, Deputies and fellow citizens that I see and meet on a daily basis are obviously "profane losers"

Scott Wedel 1 year, 2 months ago

I am profoundly concerned that this thread has turned to asking about Mark and whether he truly exists. It is simply wrong that it has been put to him that he must answer personal questions to demonstrate his existence.

Maybe my original question also crossed the line, but it was posed in curiosity without demanding an answer.

The paper makes so little per view and would much rather be able to have friendly forums that there is no way he is a plant by the paper.

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Paid or not, "he" is a fraud pretending to be someone else, with no actual person responsible for what "he" says -- violating the intent of the non-anonymity requirement of these forums. From "his" rich daddy to "his" sprawling estate, you can't believe a word "he" says.You're sparring with a ghost.

Scott Wedel 1 year, 2 months ago

Well, a Mark Hartless did buy and local properties 10 or so years ago so it is highly likely he does exist. I say that as being the most innocuous and public personal information.

And this adventure of others saying he doesn't exist is also profoundly a violation of the paper's rules as being far off topic and those posts should be deleted.

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

I've actually owned more than 5 properties in Routt so far. And other members of my family have owned some as well...

I'm thinking of buying the one next door to YOU next...!!!

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Yeah, I found an address out west somewhere for a Mark Hartless, back about the time he was stalking me and my brother. If there is such a person, they sling their bile from a remote location, where there is no chance of recrimination. Maybe the Daddy story holds some water, and that's what bought his current leisure and chance to torment and pester -- whatever the story behind this demented individual -- it can be safely assumed we will not be bothered by "his" personal appearance any time soon.

Does it bother you, that you've been conned? And if I had the red pencil to cut the dribble...

Rhys,

Conned in what way? His writing style is distinctive enough that it is clearly the same person. What he has for ideas is what matters. it isn't as if it matters what he looks like and all this is supposed to result in meeting him in person.

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

Funny that my most sensible and logical and well-reasoned detractor is the only person defending me from the retarded wolves. Or should I say, "from the witch hunters".? Progressive MY ASS. Apart from a few like Scott who you also regularly defame, you're an illiterate, uneducated, dull-witted, f-ing lynch mob!

Thank you Scott. I can always at least count on you to carry at least a shred of logic and temperament with you.

No matter how much we have disagreed over the years, at least you approach things from a position of logic.

And while I have failed to equal your objectivity, and at times been "guilty as charged" of being "nasty", I hope I at least proved a more worthy and logical adversary at times, than the examples we see above...

Jesus, Rhyhs... you actually think I "stalked" you or your brother?? You are insane, dude. You are the epitome of the NON-TOLERANT tolerant progressive left. Accusing people you never met of being frauds, stalkers, thieves, etc, for the simple crime of disagreeing with you?? These thing are crimes. You're accusing me of crimes! Yet you admit in the same breath that you never met me... ? Is that the position the "tolerant" folks take.

Sounds a lot like: "I don't know 'em, but they're black, so let's run 'em out of town...!!! What's the diff, dude?

Eric J. Bowman 1 year, 2 months ago

I'm profoundly not worried by it. Disallowing anonymous posts, is a policy bound to lead to locals outing non-locals. Not that this is a problem -- plenty of folks receive a warm (enough) welcome here by being up-front that they only visit, if that. But pretending to be a local, is exactly the sort of behavior that's bound to be outed on the Internet, and unless you're against all of society and culture, I just don't see cause for concern, let alone of the "profound" variant.

Phoebe Hackman 1 year, 2 months ago

Oh my goodness, oh my goodness! This has certainly gone off the rails in an unexpected way. I woke up to find myself an advocate for importing homosexual murderers, Chris' entire circle of friends to be a bunch of uneducated losers, Rhys is an insane racist, we are all part of an "illiterate, uneducated, dull-witted, f-ing lynch mob" ..... and Mark's posts look like he's channeling Willman. Oy.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Mark Hartless. Yes, he has in the past owned several properties in Steamboat and Hayden. And then he moved. Why you are so defensive about that fact, Mark, is beyond me. My intent was not to out you. I thought everybody already knew you didn't live here. My point in posting that was that you can be as obnoxiously caustic as you want to be in these forums because no one you know will see them. I'm certain the people in your new town don't see this side of you, given your profile there. (That's just my opinion, so don't ask me to "defend my position", k?)

Take a lesson from your new best friend:

"Jerry - Scott W has anyone ever told you that you post too much? Scott - Yeah, but everyone has flaws."

See how Scott did that? Totally defused a (completely uncalled for, btw) personal attack by making light of it. You could have done that. You didn't. Scott's a very secure guy. Maybe you're not.

Your comments are so distorted and convoluted, there's just no point in addressing them. Except to say, I never called you a liar, just called your credibility into question. Big difference. And here we are again.

The shoe is on the other foot, Mark. You've been one of the "retarded wolves" in the past. Frequently. You've made such a point of holding yourself apart from everyone else with your own "holier-than-thou" attitude (lots of "you" and "you people" and "unlike other people, I ....." in your posts) that you really shouldn't be surprised by this reaction. And please don't post someone else's words about how the lowly attack because of jealousy and envy, blah, blah, blah. No one is jealous or envious of you. Trust me on this.

Now go to your room and think about how you could have handled this better.

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Phoebe -- I could've handled it better, once I realized our agitator was not among us. I had always imagined Mark burning through belts of ammo three hills away. An illusion he never sought to correct, but nurtured instead. Once I caught on, my wild imagination ran away with possibilities -- this couldn't be real, an outsider thousands of miles away, so bitterly embroiled in local events, as if they affected his daily life and we're all so stupid. Shill came to mind first.

Faced now with the reality that IS Mark, I still remain befuddled why he takes such pains to stir the pot from his remote location, as if he were in our midst -- don't they have problems wherever he is? Or would squawking there raise the red flags it does here?

He obviously has all the time in the world to devote to it, few other obligations -- whether that is due to his own brilliance, or that of his Daddy, one wonders.

He is our Proxy Pest. The person you read in here exists nowhere else in reality. Certainly not among his current company; he'd get ousted.

I don't have time for the pretender. I find enough problems as it is. I don't need them finding me.

Did I tell you my nested conditional turned out to be 8-deep? You shoulda seen this puppy wiggling!! That works, but my GoDaddy issues remain. I'm gonna have to call Support again. That's always a trip... Thanks for the voice of reason, Phoebe!!

Scott Wedel 1 year, 2 months ago

"my nested conditional turned out to be 8-deep?"

If I was one of your customers then I would not be impressed. I would wonder if the program is so complex with such convoluted logic that even the author can barely maintain it.

I think it would be more impressive if you said how you took some messed up code and rewrote it to be straightforward so it will never be a problem again.

Chris Hadlock 1 year, 2 months ago

Scott, you are clearly not a programmer. 8-deep logic chains are common in code. True complexity involves far more levels and data. I have seen the code that Rhys can produce and can attest that he knows what he is doing.

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

You just baited the hook, Chris, but thanks!! Let's see what else you snag.

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Got a sec, back for a nibble... how many people can make it to Tier 2 at GoDaddy? Yup, that's where I sit on hold right now... heh heh... what a nerd.

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Thanks, Swami, I'll keep it in mind. I did find a cool way to label my levels so it's a lot easier to track. It ain't rocket science, but then those guys have help from people who know what they're doing and don't suggest things knowing nothing about it. Keep your stinking nose out of my code. You don't know anything about it. Nor do I want you to. But of course you had to demonstrate your superiority in all subjects known to Man. Do us all a favor and get a hobby.

Talk about diverting a forum to give somebody s**t -- practice what you preach. STFU.

Jeff Kibler 1 year, 2 months ago

How can anyone judge code without examining said code, without understanding the application, the language used, and the other issues involved. Perhaps it should be table-driven, or not. An array of function pointers instead? Who knows? BTW Rhys, if you're getting no love from GoDaddy, try RackSpace.
#CodeMonkeyRevolt

Chris Hadlock 1 year, 2 months ago

Personally, I do not think it matters who any of you are. Each of us has an equal ability to post an opinion on these forums for the rest to either agree with or tear apart.

It would be nice if we could all accomplish that without the personal BS, but I suppose that is part of the conversation also to be valued and measured as you deem appropriate.

When you choose to write an opinion on these public forums there will be those that agree and those that think you are more evil than the devil himself. Oh well, you know what they say about opinions right?

Tom Willman 1 year, 2 months ago

Phoebe writes...

"and Mark's posts look like he's channeling Willman. Oy."

Thanks for the reference...but in order for Mark to "channel" me...I would have to be dead. I'm not. You do "love to hate" me lady, but you're most likely a "real man-hater" anyway. I just push your buttons. Whatever.

rhys...I know you...I like you and what you and Mark H have going on...well, that I don't know (or won't say!) It probably shouldn't be aired here...just saying

Mark H...I don't know you...think I know "one" of your wives...I find you fun.

Scott W...what can I say...beautiful mind ...and keep posting.

Chris H...still love ya man! Say Hi to LuAnn!

Really there is no one on this "blog" I don't like...well...there's Dano... Everyone deserves a second chance.

Let's all "keep it real". Anyone that was missed by me...it's not because I don't appreciate you and the fact that you have the "coconuts" to come out and play. More should do it, but many don't have the stomach for this type of foolishness and mind games. Fun...isn't it?

Cheers!

Chris Hadlock 1 year, 2 months ago

Cheers Tom and good wishes right back at both of you.

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

Yeah, these forums take me places my real job doesn't, convoluted as those are, mainly because people are harder to fathom, the answers less absolute -- at any rate, thank you victims and supporters, for enriching my life beyond the ordered madness it normally is.

Phoebe Hackman 1 year, 2 months ago

Willman - "hate-speak" is the lefts new religion. Anytime anyone doesn't "fall into step" with what the left sees as "holy"... that individual or group gets labeled a "hater". It's just stupid.

Willman - you're most likely a "real man-hater"

Once again you prove your own point.

WTF?

rhys jones 1 year, 2 months ago

You silly kids. You're all good people; you're my friends. I think you're all a little wacko, but well within tolerance, we always have fun. I would've gotten some of us together already, except it was raining down south that day and Prissy's windshield wipers had issues -- among many -- we went north. Anyway, your snipes back and forth hurt me, and now I wish I didn't live here either, so I wouldn't have to identify with the targets. I'll put this together, just hang on.

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

I was just as outspoken when I lived in Routt County full time as I am now that It is only a part-time home. I'm afraid of nothing here. If I was then I would not have kept posting after "Sledneck" was banished and we were all outed. I'd have just shut up. But I kept going, even though I lived in Steamboat full time.

I'd also remind you geniuses that I wrote SEVERAL letters to the editor with my name on them when I was in town full time. I'm not scared.

And NONE of you know whether or not I have submitted articles or made my forceful; opinon's known at my other 2 hometowns.

Some of you need to look in the mirror. You have called me every name in the book:

Rhys has called me more names than I can remember... including "stalker, thief, loser, hater, lazy, rich , a fraud, a shill, etc", as well as accusing me many times of "stealing my way to the top" and making it on my father's wealth...

Phoebe called me a "liar" on one PARTICULAR occasion, and never bothered to apologize after I showed her bomb-proof evidence to the contrary.

Dan S. (who is now dead to me) has called me a racist so many times I've lost count.

Chris H., Eric B., Tim K., Pat W., and others have all said very ugly things to me and called me names many times.

Yet I have NEVER ONCE suggested that any of your opinions rose or fell based on your address, or that you were not entitled to them from whatever distance they hailed. In fact, I have ALWAYS protested that every single one of your opinions and statements should be alowed... NEVER removed or edited... EVER!

Some of you claiming membership in the "tolerance" movement are some of the most INTOLERANT people I'v ever had the PLEASURE of NOT meeting. Worse... you're VINDICTIVE. You hold grudges. You seek information for the purposes of the power it might give you over your enemy. And you ofttimes paint with a brush just as broad as mine... and occasionally even wider.

So put your righteous indignation where the sun don't shine... under your hat... and defend your beliefs with reasoned responses. I will try to do the same.

Chris Hadlock 1 year, 2 months ago

Nobody likes me. I will just eat worms. Puh-lease you are one of the prime examples for intolerance on the opinions of others. Cry me a river already.

I will defend your right to say anything you want, but even you must understand that the delivery and tone of your opinion will affect the way readers judge your comments, You can claim to be addressing "The Issues" but those of us that have received your benevolence know better.

Ken Mauldin 1 year, 2 months ago

Pat - You are incorrect when you say "the president is elected from all voters." Most of us learned in 6th grade civics that the President is not elected by "voters", but rather the President is elected by the Electoral College.

Basic civics also teaches us that there is no gerrymandering possible in Senate elections because Senators are elected to represent a whole state.

mark hartless 1 year, 2 months ago

Oh no... it makes a very important point... that some people THINK they understand law and the Constitution, but do not.

Chris Hadlock 1 year, 2 months ago

And how many times has the Electoral College produced a result that is different than the popular vote?

1824, 1876, 1888 and Bush V Gore in 2000. Note, Bush lost the popular vote by a larger margin that all the rest of the contests all added together.

Tom Willman 1 year, 2 months ago

The "Electoral College" needs to go as well as the stupid notion that "College" is for everyone and it should be "FREE"! Yikes!

Phoebe...rock on girl.

Cheers!

Ken Mauldin 1 year, 2 months ago

Pat - Pointing out the truth about our Constitution is only nit picking to ignorant and arrogant liberals who don't know and don't care about how our government works. My main point is that you consistently misrepresent issues of very basic civics on this forum.

You told Mark that he "didn't understand" and in the very same sentence you completely misrepresent how our Presidential election works. You claimed that the Senate was impacted by gerrymandering. Then you say that I'm a nit picker for suggesting that we actually follow the well understood and established requirements of the Constitution.

To be certain. as to what my post says about me; I'd rather know what the Constitution requires and be called a nit picker by a liberal than consistently demonstrate that I'm more ignorant than a 6th grader on matters of basic American civics in a public forum.

Kennedy WAS a sub commander... ONE WAY...just ask Mary Jo Kopechne

Bret Marx 1 year, 2 months ago

I've ridden sleds with Mark. Got along with him just fine.