Steamboat Springs Coming off a 12-day spring break layoff, the Steamboat Springs High School boys lacrosse team took care of business Thursday night at Summit, setting a huge stage for Saturday’s home showdown against Aspen.
2014 Sailors boys lacrosse schedule
- March 8: Steamboat 21, Glenwood Springs 0
- March 14: Steamboat 10, Green Mountain 4
- March 21: Steamboat 11, Telluride 3
- March 22: Steamboat 10, Durango 3
- March 27: Steamboat 22, Eagle Valley 0
- March 29: Steamboat 15, Battle Mountain 8
- March 31: Steamboat 14, Thompson Valley 11
- April 4: vs. Steamboat 16, Golden 4
- April 5: Steamboat 14, Cheyenne Mountain 13
- April 11: Steamboat 10, Grand Junction 1
- April 12: at Fruita Monument, 11 a.m.
- April 18: Steamboat 15, Windsor 8
- April 19: Valor Christian 11, Steamboat 10
- May 1: Steamboat 13, Summit 2
- May 3: Aspen 16, Steamboat 13
- May 6: Steamboat 14, Conifer 4
- May 9: Steamboat 14, Valor Christian 8
The Sailors used a fast start to knock off the Tigers, jumping out to a 5-0 first-quarter lead that swelled to 7-2 by halftime. Steamboat picked up win No. 13 with Thursday’s 13-2 victory.
“Everyone got some good playing time today,” Steamboat coach Jay Lattimore said. “They had a lot of fun. They’re all happy that the season’s getting close to playoff time.”
The Sailors were paced in scoring by their usual trio at attack. Ben Wharton poured in a game-high five goals to go along with two assists. Peter White tacked on four goals and two assists, and Willy Gunn pitched in another three goals and a pair of assists.
Filling for the resting Kaleb VanArsdale at goalie was Aaron Vandergraaff, who racked up seven saves.
The team will run through a Friday-evening practice in preparation for its biggest contest of the year: a date with 12-2 Aspen this weekend, who sits a position ahead of Steamboat in the latest Colorado High School Activities Association polls.
“They’ve definitely been a team marked on our calendar all year,” Lattimore said about Aspen. “I don’t have to get my guys psyched up. They are already there.”
Faceoff against Aspen is at 11 a.m. Saturday at Gardner Field.
To reach Ben Ingersoll, call 970-871-4204, email bingersoll@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @BenMIngersoll