The Infamous Stringdusters close out the Steamboat Springs Free Summer Concert Series on Aug. 8.

Courtesy photo

Steamboat Summer Concert Series announced

— The Steamboat Springs Free Summer Concert Series includes a New Orleans band fresh off a Grammy performance, two up-and-coming acts and a top bluegrass act.

Free Summer Concert Series dates

June 21: Trombone Shorty

July 5: TBA

July 18: Uncle Lucius

July 26: Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers

Aug. 8: Infamous Stringdusters

The series, which begins June 21, was announced Friday at the Chief Theater during a fundraiser for the series.

Trombone Shorty, which played with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis at the Grammy Awards, opens the series June 21.

Austin-based band Uncle Lucius plays July 18, Nicki Bluhm and the Gramblers play July 26 and the Infamous String Dusters close the series Aug. 8. All of the shows will take place at Howelsen Hill.

Coleman Cook, the president of the Free Summer Concert Series board of directors, said they have a fifth act lined up for the July 5 show but cannot announce it until the musician finishes a show at Red Rocks.

“That show will be a driver to bring people to Steamboat,” Cook said. “That’s what that weekend is all about. There is the parade, rodeo and fireworks. It gives everyone something to do for that holiday weekend.”

Trombone Shorty has played several times in Steamboat in the past, the trombone and trumpet player brings a unique style to his New Orleans rooted music.

Rock band Uncle Lucius is familiar with Steamboat having played at this year’s Texas Music Week.

Nikki Bluhm and the Gramblers are a soulful rock and country band. The band has gained notoriety from its YouTube “Van Sessions.” The band covers classic hits while sitting in a van between gigs.

The Infamous String Dusters have been one of the most consistent bluegrass bands for years. The band’s latest album, “Let It Go,” will be released Tuesday.

“We want to turn Steamboat onto some new and up-and-coming music,” Cook said. “We’re absolutely thrilled with the lineup. We think it reaches out to a good cross section of our fans.”

To reach Luke Graham, call 970-871-4229, email lgraham@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @LukeGraham

Comments

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

The Free Concert fundraiser at the Chief last night was GREAT!!

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Steve, I haven't read a pleasant comment out of you yet. Like many others in these forums, you don't offer any solutions -- all you do is bitch. Those concerts bring a lot of people to town, benefitting many. It's a fun-loving crowd, and we would appreciate it if you would stay away, lest people hear you and get the wrong impression about our fair city and its inhabitants.

What operating system do you use, Mr. "IT Expert"?

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I detect a chink in the armor. Must be a Windows guy, all defensive now. Don't be embarrassed; lots of people steal other peoples' money using that can of worms. Good guess, but nope, Unix is proprietary, and I'm all about open-source. My Ubuntu Linux is based in Debian, the most advanced operating system on the planet. Been writing "apps" for 40 years.

BTW -- The expression is "bold-faced lie" but whatever you think.

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Okay, score one for you -- apparently I have been under the misimpression, thank you for setting me straight on that one.

I'll take the IT point. While that can cover a wide range of disciplines, anybody running Windows is inherently limited by their platform.

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Steve -- Work must be slow, if you've got all day every day to venture your unabashed opinion on every subject which arises, documented and in great detail, and always in a negative fashion. Lot of time on your hands? You insult everybody, with your snide wit. You don't sound like a happy person.

The City spends money on a lot of things I find more offensive and less beneficial than the free concerts, and you don't hear me crying about it.

Chris Hadlock 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Steve,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but in this case the "free entertainment" that you accuse of sucking of the Gov't tit. Is actua

lly a tourist attraction that generates more revenue to the City than it sucks.

I am sure you have some Right Wing bubble thoughts for me, but you just go ahead and post a link that proves me wrong. As a tourist destination, it actually IS is the best interest of ALL Steamboat Springs taxpayers to fund these kinds of activities because they generate more revenue in tourist dollars than they take from the economy.

While I realize that the term "Government" is poison in your world, if you could open up and accept the FACTS you might come up with a different opinion.

john bailey 5 months, 3 weeks ago

please let the TBA be BHTM . they have been gone to long from Steamboat.....

Pat West 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Steve, if you show up and watch the Free to Attend, summer shows, There's your rebate.

If you don't attend, no rebate. Same as if you have, but don't report mortgage interest on your taxes.

If you feel this isn't something that city tax funds should support, feel free to get elected, and vote to un-fund this great public concert series. Good Luck.

Pat West 5 months, 3 weeks ago

FYI: This hyperbole comes off as angry, and hateful. You have free will to not pay sales tax in steamboat by shopping elsewhere, and if you would rather submit the funds, and not participate, that's your free choice as well. Troll on!

Cresean Sterne 5 months, 3 weeks ago

The free concert series has been one of the best functions in Stmbt since it was conceived and the locals here have obviously shown there support for many many years. I personaly liked the days that lincoln was shut down and the shows were on the court house lawn. Bring a blanket and some refreshments. Those were the days with bands like Spin Doctor, Bele' Fleck, etc.. If I had to gripe about one thing with the series now is the that we are not bringing in enough well known performers like we used to except for the last show of the season. Sure the music is still good with Sam Bush and the Whailers being an almost every year occurance with the bud light series on the mountain but I dont know most of these bands that are brought in for our summer line up except for the fact that they may have played here once before. (more of a bar band).. Its still music for the soul and a great time to get out amongst friends and family and enjoy some local good times. :-):-):-)

john bailey 5 months, 3 weeks ago

you mean all that beer we buy to support these wonderful events is for not ? say it ain't so...I have been doing my share , but please lets bring a few of em back to the big hill , more room there to spread out.......ya'll do remember Todds wedding show ? man that was killer......and Rhys , nice photo in the paper can't wait to drown some flies , how bout you ? ~;0)

Jon Quinn 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Ah, the summer concerts. Man, there is no better way to see your friends and neighbors and enjoy this beautiful community. Although I don't have the "hard numbers" Mr. Mendell wants to see, and I seriously doubt that any numbers would satisfy him anyway, what I can tell you is that the volunteers who put together the series work really hard to bring the best talent they can to our valley on a fairly limited budget. The City kicks in a bit of dough and the majority is funded by those of us who enjoy a cold beer for ourselves and an overpriced snow-cone for the kids. In both cases, it's money well spent. The City collects no property tax and so the dollars from the City that go towards this event and other community events are collected from Sales tax on goods. Steve, my hunch is that your portion of this tax burden amounts to less than a couple bucks. Tell ya what... track me down at a free show and I'll buy you a beer... or a snow-cone, whichever you prefer. Perhaps then you might be able to feel you can enjoy these wonderful events because it will truly be free to you. :)

Mark Ruckman 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Steve, you might not see it but you come across as very angry.

Steve, you should list events and other entertainment you enjoy and the community to weigh in on if a single penny of tax $ goes towards your happiness. Though after reading your comments one could question if you enjoy happiness.

Mark Ruckman 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Well Steve, I'm not a leftie and I still see you as angry

Mark Ruckman 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Steve M, Clearly you live in a small world with limited vision, almost like you have your head up your ass :)

Kevin Nerney 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Mark, some guys wouldn't be happy if you hung them with a new rope.

john bailey 5 months, 3 weeks ago

as long as I do not pay for a ticket to gain entry i'll be happy with that. me and my buddy used to talk about what is free, I say the aspens that die and I collect on my property are free fire wood for heat, he says no , but we are both correct in a way , it takes gas to run the saw to round it and for the splitter to spilt it . but...... I do the work for it and not paying some one to do what I can do myself, that to me is my meaning of free.....now ...my money is still on BHTM to be the TBA. do you see any clues in the article ? I do..~:0)

john bailey 5 months, 3 weeks ago

true dat , but I know I work for my free stuff....~;0) and do so happily. I hope to see you all on the grass at the big hill this summer...

Tim Keenan 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Hmm, not sure who would be playing on the 5th who is playing at Red Rocks. Blues Traveler?

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

This is GREAT!! The Mystery Show. Who is it....

John -- I was at a meeting where it was explained how the mountain business assn split with the free concert series -- who used to have one or two shows at the mtn every summer -- and they are sponsoring their own free concert series (free to the attendee; let's be clear) and now there will be four or five free shows downtown, and several more on the mountain, haven't seen the lineup or schedule yet.

These free shows are the pinnacle of existence. Doesn't matter who it is. That's all there is to it.

BTW -- I would contend the Jorma & Hot Tuna provided the best free show ever -- followed closely by Leftover Salmon then the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. Who wants to argue about THAT??

john bailey 5 months, 3 weeks ago

and here I thought they moved because of the base area redo....... hum. oh that Leftover Salmon show was great , 16F hahaha , at least me and the mrs. were comfy huddling right at the stage........brrrr that was chilly out.

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

True, true... String Cheese on the courthouse lawn wasn't bad either... nor Bela Fleck there...

Dan Kuechenmeister 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Looks like BHTM is playing Red Rocks June 7. They are at Winter Park April 19.

Scott Ford 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi Steve – I appreciate you making it clear that the use of the “Free” implies no cost. The Summer Concert Series cost money. The City’s share of the cost for the 2014 series is $23,000. The Arts & Culture Collation requested $30,000 for the concert series from the City.

I appreciate your request for some data. Although far from perfect, we know some about the Summer Concert Series. Based on the Steamboat Springs Chamber Resort Association summer research we know that about 60% of the summer visitor while they were in town attended at least one or more organized activities that could be classified as a “Special Event” during their stay. These events range from the National Cattle Dog Trials to the Steamboat All Arts Festival.

Of the 60% of the visitors that attended an event during their stay 82% indicated that they went to a Summer Concert Series if that concert happened to coincide when they were in town anyway. From our visitors’ perspective the Summer Concert Series was yet another fun thing to do (amongst a long list of fun things to do) while they were in town.

Based on 2013 summer visitor expenditure data to recover the City’s share the Summer Concert Series would need to motivate about 1,700 folks to come to Steamboat Springs specifically for the Summer Concert Series and stay in paid lodging. From my perspective that would be a wee-bit of an optimistic stretch.

The research does seem to indicate that for a returning summer visitor that they will often choose the time they plan to be in Steamboat Springs – based on when an event is happening. Is it possible that some repeat visitors plan their stay around the Summer Concert Series? It is likely that some do.

To put it simply, the Summer Concert Series is essentially a party we throw for ourselves that visitors are welcome to join us. Hopefully a good time is had by all.

(Although I am a member of City Council – my opinions are my own and may or may not reflect the opinions of my fellow City Council members.)

Pat West 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Scott Ford, the concert subsidy is $23,000. I wonder how much each tax paying citizen contributes to this $23k, vs the share shouldered by our winter guests that never attend. I've heard that 45-50% of our sales tax comes from winter guests, so $10,000 of the concert series is paid by winter guests, and if there are 9000 sales tax paying locals, and the remaining $13000 is paid by us, that's less than $1.50/person of our collected sales tax goes to this? Am I close?

If you can figure this out, I will gladly rebate scottm's tax participation.

Mark Ruckman 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Steve, can you provide us with a list of entertainment you enjoy?

I would love to see if you enjoy anything funded by taxpayer funds.

Mark Ruckman 5 months, 3 weeks ago

OK, back to your tea party bubble of anger... I'm off to enjoy all of those things in SB that your taxes pay for

Tim Keenan 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Unfortunately, I wasn't here back in the day for String Cheese. But I thought Grace Potter put on a hell of a show a couple years ago.

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Hell, how much did the County (or whoever) pay for a bunch of our local Mounties to get together for some cops-and-robbers in Hayden yesterday? Big boys having fun. Their jollies came out of our pocket. Now we're ready for the attack surely to come.

There's a lot more of US; bring on the music!! The Carolina Chocolate Drops weren't bad either... and who doesn't like free live music? Only the sphincters among us, with WAY too much time on our hands...

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

While this little box has injected itself on my whole life, I refuse to let it rule me; I still find much value in hard copy, the printed word, the library in particular, not all are so connected...

Some people have lives, and some wish they did.

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Sorry 'bout that last comment -- this ain't no life.... but the library is GREAT!!

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Wow... "anal" takes on new meaning... we should invoice you, for all the servers you abuse.

In other words -- it you don't like it here -- GTF out of town.

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Yeah, the majority is generally stupid. We of great intellect know better.

Ben Tiffany 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Let's not forget about a few other shows over the years. John Hiatt and the Goners(with Sonny Landreth,both at Howelson and at the base of the mountain in different years),Robben Ford on the Courthouse lawn (David Grisman too),Al Stewart on Headwall,Los Lobos at Howelson,Dark Star Orchestra at Headwall;wow! We've had some great shows here over the years! (At least for those that enjoy such music.)

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Ben -- There have been so many great acts, over the years -- often as not, something new to me -- but all sharing one thing: That's the Melting Pot. New and Old. Where one might see someone one hasn't in years , who knows when again, but here we are... and the fabric gets richer. Love those shows!! Did Little Women ever do one? Ralph Dinosaur? They did the Inferno too, back when, and this old coot gets confused...

Ben Tiffany 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Me too Rhys! (For all the reasons you do,and then some.)

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

If it wasn't for the Free Shows, I could get a Real Life!!

(that's money well-spent, on the City's part, just keeping me out of circulation)

mark hartless 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I have always been simultaneously ammused and annoyed at how some folks brand and label others as "angry" and "hateful" and "selfish", etc, simply for wishing to have dominion over the fruits of their own labor while others who want to confiscate and redistribute those fruits are allowed to proclaim themselves "compassionate" "benevolent", "kind", etc.

Steve feels that he is compelled by force of law to pay taxes. Furthermore, he knows that the ultimate show of that force is, in fact, a gun to his head. Many of you may not like that image but it is accurate nonetheless.

Many of you sit there damning him for being angry when, he seems to me to have a very legitimate excuse to indeed be angry.He feels he is being robbed.

Meanwhile, retorts such as "if you don't like it get the f**k out of this town", etc are seldom, if ever questioned or accused of being "hateful", or anything else.

Someone wants to keep what is HIS is "selfish". Those who have no problem watching the state (municipality in this case) confiscate and re-direct his property, largely for the benefit of THEMSELVES and their ilk are the understanding, compassionate crowd.

If it were just a summer concert it might no be so bad, but this mindset, this illness, this disease is pandemic. You excuse all confiscatory behavior of the state as "benevolence" without the slightest hint that any of you understand that that which is provided by your big buddy (the almighty state) is first taken at gunpoint from your fellow man, from you very neighbors with whom you presume to share your town, your life.

If that reality were even a small part of your thought process, and if it were allowed to prick your seemingly non-existent concience at all, I'd think you'd be ashamed of how you cavalierly use the state as your own personall schoolyard bully and shakedown crew.

Pat West 5 months, 3 weeks ago

No one is forced by law to pay the city sales tax. Shop in craig and none of your tax dollars fund any of this city's programs.

Quit exaggerating, the image of a gun to the head is not accurate.

He chose to live here, and should have looked into what he was getting into before he moved to Steamboat. Steamboat does not hide its tax policy, city budget, or force anyone to live here.

He is not being robbed, he is making a conscious decision to pay into a system that he does not like. His choice. He should take personal responsibility for his decision, or protest these taxes by not paying into this fund. (shopping out of town)

Like many tea party voices, he is long on words, and short on real world actions that would give him the relief from taxes he so desires.

Pat West 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Quit selectively quoting my posts.

City taxes are what we are discussing, they are easily avoided by not shopping Steamboat. Your chose to pay them. That is fact.

Take personal responsibility for your choices.

Why can't you do that?

It is not the governments fault that you choose to live under laws passed by the majority, it is yours. Sorry if your bitterness stems for your own decisions, there is nothing anyone can do to help you if you will not help yourself.

mark hartless 5 months, 3 weeks ago

"...it's a fun-loving crowd and we'd appreciate it if you'd stay away.

WOW! Unbelievable

Read: "we got your financial support and that's all we want from you...now buzz off"

What a great "civic-mionded" community...

mark hartless 5 months, 3 weeks ago

YOU may not have a problem funding them, Rick. I don't either, financially.

What about people who are barely getting by? Who can barely afford gas and food for their kids? We tax them so much already that we have to turn around and provide them with subsidies such as food stamps just so they can pay the taxes that go to the "free" concerts, etc.

I understand the "if you don't like it, move away" concept. What I don't get is how people who exibit this attitude look themselves in the mirror and believe thay THEY are the compassionate ones.

rhys jones 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Who's not compassionate? I really feel sorry for people choking on the bile of their own bitterness.

Scott Wedel 5 months, 3 weeks ago

The simple fact is that SB Springs has a generally good economy which includes tourism. The city sales tax generates more money than is required to cover the absolute essentials of public safety. Thus, the city government is able to pay for a whole assortment of items from free concerts to free buses that are viewed as improving local quality of life and help the economy.

The free concerts cost a relatively small amount of money and are well attended. Downtown restaurants and bars are clearly much busier after a concert.

As long as the current city government spends from general funds then any poor funding decisions can be corrected at the next election. When government makes irreversible decisions involving issuing bonds or spending reserves then those decisions need to be far more closely scrutinized. The city is still spending hundreds of thousands of dollars a year paying on the Iron Horse bonds.

It is shameful the way city staff is trying to finance spending for the police station from reserves so it can avoid a public vote on a bond issue. That way city staff only needs to convince 4 people to agree to their plan, but future city councils will be forced for years to commit revenues to restoring city reserves.

Likewise, this city council is tonight providing input on a decision that will impact city spending for years. If they agree to purchase a piece of land that requires substantial additional money to develop and leaves no money for other Yampa St improvements then they are implicitly agreeing to spend millions of city funds on Yampa St.

Tim Keenan 5 months, 3 weeks ago

That's what happens when you live in a community in which the priorities, needs and like-to-haves of the majority don't square with yours. The fact that you're still here regardless leads me to think that you've decided the price is worth paying after all; you just like to complain about paying it. Your prerogative, but it does get old.

Chris Hadlock 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Uh, sorry to burst your bubble Steve, but your property tax receipts have exactly zero, nadda, nothing to do with the "Free Concert" debate. You must complain to the state about how that money is being spent.

In case you have failed to do your research, The City of Steamboat is funded completely by the Sales Tax revenue stream. If you would like to avoid paying for all those socialist causes that you deplore then it should be very easy for you to do ALL of your shopping in other cities while you live in Steamboat.

Pat West 5 months, 3 weeks ago

And you are paying the same in taxes now on your Mustang Run condo that you paid when you bought it. Your tax load increased by $300-$400 over the life of your ownership, due to the spike in value. But now due to the slump in RE values you pay $1152 vs the $1117 you paid pre-library.

You can debate all day as to what you would have paid, if your condo had not devalued, but in reality, you pay less now than you did when you bought it, if these figures were corrected for inflation.

2002 taxes on your place were $1394, the first year you owned it they dropped to $1117. Wow what a windfall for you!

It is not a robbery when you enter into a system with full knowledge of the costs, and if you choose to not use the services that your taxes pay for, then that is your choice. Once again, your choice.

Reference: http://agner.co.routt.co.us/assessor/taxweb/account.jsp?accountNum=R6259088&doc=

Pat West 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Just exposing your hypocrisy. Troll on Don Quixote

Chris Hadlock 5 months, 3 weeks ago

blah, blah, blah, I don't like paying taxes.

Sure I get that, who does. but like getting older, you have two choices Pay your taxes to live in a civilized society with Firemen and Policemen, plowed roads and all of the things that the combined citizens of the U.S. have jointly created over the centuries.

OR, withdraw from society polish up those guns, and protect your own (&)##$)(* with your life. May the strongest animal win.

I have argued before and will continue to do so that armed revolution is NOT in the best interests of you, your children or grandchildren. A return to the lawless days of the old west and Dodge City where the strongest man with the fastest gun ruled the roost is NOT where our country needs to go.

You can argue your Libertarian beliefs all you want. I stand in support of your right to be just as wrong as you want to be and to shout it from the rooftops and in these blogs. However, I for one respectfully disagree and would encourage you to get out and discuss these issues one on one with people that disagree with you. You might find that your strongly held beliefs fell just a little further from the tree than you seem to believe.

To everyone else, I won't be arguing with Steve much anymore, I think that he has managed to expose just how far out there his thought patterns and beliefs are. I leave it to each of you to form your own opinions and encourage everyone to get out there and vote in every single election. The only way to suppress the crazies that surround these issues on both sides is for everyone to get out there and express their individual opinion in the voting booth.

No matter your political party or belief, get out there and make your opinion known by voting for the candidate that you can support. That is your voice and if you fail to use it, you are indeed part of the problem and supporting those extreme views because those people are very motivated and will be voting.....You can count on it.

Scott Wedel 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Well, if taxes are "theft" then it doesn't matter how the money is used. It is still theft and wrong. I can't break into your house and steal stuff to pay for fixing potholes.

If you accept the idea that there are essential government services and taxes are charged against property and economic activity to raise the needed funds for essential services then taxes are no longer theft.

If you accept that there are some essential government services then it becomes a public policy debate of what are the list of essential government services. Very early in the history of the USA, it was decided that public education was an essential government service for at least New England. In Colorado, access to water was so important that principles of water rights was described in the state constitutional charter.

Is a library an essential service? If it closed today then there wouldn't be riots and anarchy the next day. But a library helps educate people and a well used library like in SB helps us have a better, more educated workforce into the future. So maybe it is essential to the future of a strong SB economy.

Likewise, society would survive without free concerts. But free concerts help downtown businesses, are enjoyed by locals and help attract tourists. Maybe the end of free concerts would mark the start of a slow decline of SB's tourism economy and so some will say free concerts are essential.

Overall, what is essential is a political question.

Mark Ruckman 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Steve M, if you hate the services in SB you are free to move to another town with lower taxes and lower services for residents. I'm thinking Milner. You can live with no city taxes and have a short drive to SB and have free use of the things our taxes support. If you want to go shopping you can then drive to Craig and enjoy a sales tax that is only 7.15%

The vast majority of the people responding here like our town, like the services and have very few qualms with how our tax $'s are spent (Scott W, I didn't include you :) )

Scott Wedel 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Mark R.

"The vast majority of the people responding here like our town, like the services and have very few qualms with how our tax $'s are spent"

That is a comment too far regarding "qualms". Several other people have serious concerns over the airline subsidy program. Scott Ford was inspired to run for City Council after having concerns regarding the sale of the public service building and the replacement police and fire station costs.

I think Iron Horse showed that local government can make spectacularly bad decisions that have long term consequences and so people have qualms that they at least want answered about where money is being spent. But most look at the overall picture and say that as long as the city isn't raising taxes then it is at least tolerable.

I think it is fair to say that very few in SB think paying sales or property taxes is the same as "being robbed" or is similar to "having a gun held to your head".

Mark Ruckman 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Scott W, there is a vocal minority that has concerns.

I applaud those with concerns for keeping an eye on the city and county and raising those concerns to the rest of the community.

What myself and I believe others grow tired of is the vocal few continuing to beat the drum after the majority (people who post here) have shared they don't see the problem as a big deal.

Scott Wedel 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Mark,

I think far more than you suggest have qualms. Qualms is not the same as ideological opposition. I think few locals are completely unconcerned and have no qualms about city spending. Look at how little support there is for a city property tax to pay for additional city spending that the city manager appears to think is necessary.

Mark Ruckman 5 months, 3 weeks ago

Or said differently, people don't like taxes nor tax increases.

mark hartless 5 months, 3 weeks ago

"Man can live and satisfy his wants only by ceaseless labor; by the ceaseless application of his faculties to natural resources. This process is the origin of property.

But it is also true that man may live and satisfy his wants by seizing and consuming the products of the labor of others. This process is the origin of plunder...

It is impossible to introduce into society a greater evil that this: The conversion of the law into an instrument of plunder."

These words are as applicable today in America as they were in France a century and a half ago when Frederich Bastiat penned them as he observed the Frence Revolution.

Robert Huron 5 months, 2 weeks ago

The one thing that stands out is that one person makes more than 50 % of all the comments on every topic. One thing for sure is he hates all government, hates paying taxes and is one angry older dude and more than likely never wore the uniform of this country. I bet he is from Texas where he would pay 4 times more in property taxes which is why he is here. I hope he does not have a heart attack because then he would have to call 911 which is tax payer funded and they would have to send a tax payer funded ambulance to help him. (Socialism) Life is too short to wake up angry every day. Steamboat is a beautiful healthy place to live compared to other place so make the most of what it has to offer even if you have to pay out a few dollars. Quit watching Cable TV and listening to Hate Radio, you will live longer and happier. .

Pat West 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Steve, if you really want gun tote ing government agents banging down your door, keep referring to our president as "King Barrack". A petty surf like you has no business saying our leaders first name, and you should be bowing( or kneeling), showing respect, and addressing him as "Our President Mr. Obama" Do you want our village raided by his federal troops, burned to the ground, and our women taken into the service of " Our President Mr. Obama"? Are you really using your real name to poke fun at our leader? Say hello to the IRS when they come to seize your assets and audit your taxes. Say goodby to your property and assets when they seize them for showing disrespect to "Our President Mr. Obama". Your future is surely in the bowels of the castle with your only warmth being the breath of the captured dragon, you will emerge only after his breath leaves you stained and brown. Ask John Boehner how living with the stain of the dragon feel like.

Please stop this crazy crusade before we all of our village suffers for your big mouth.

john bailey 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Pat , is that sarcasm? , if not that has got to be the stupidest post you've ever had, Screw the idiot in chief , as an American we can voice our opinion no matter what it is and the opinion is this is THE worst so called leader EVER. hey , look , the sun is coming out , time to hit the hill...~;0)

Pat West 5 months, 2 weeks ago

This entire thread is absurd and silly, forgive me if my post wasn't exaggerated, or absurd enough.

john bailey 5 months, 2 weeks ago

fair enough Pat, I took it as sarcasm , just wanted to make sure, oh and the snow was divine today . only a few more days left but the beginning of the season for me. too much mula to spend on sliding down a hill. Winter Park had a much better deal than this springawhatever its called.....AND they extended their season unlike some place we know........frekkin idiots.....

Chris Hadlock 5 months, 2 weeks ago

From Wikipedia

"Cervantes wrote and published Don Quixote during the Eighty Years' War, or Dutch War of Independence (1568–1648), a revolt by the Habsburg Netherlands to end Spanish rule. In Don Quixote, the eponymous protagonist consistently misinterprets his own, his adversaries', and his allies' actions and motives — regularly resulting in apparently unjustified violent actions and consequences. One way of interpreting Don Quixote's tilting at windmills could be as an allegory to promote critical, skeptical, or satirical evaluation of either a hero's motives, rationales and actions, or a nation's foreign policies."

I think the phrase Tilting at Windmills describes most of our local extremists. From their social views to their tax policy ideas they have convinced themselves that: "This country is going to hell in a handbasket" and/or "We didn't do things that way in my day".

Proof in the pudding would be The 50+ House votes to repeal the ACA, or in this case their consistent and strident screams that that they only pay their fair share due to the gun at their head. How about their strongly held beliefs about the Presidents Birth in Kenya, the "Socialist" actions of this president and when that does not work, they escalate their accusations to include Communist Dictator.

Tilting at Windmills = Fighting a problem that does not exist.
Case in Point google Michael Morell's testimony on Benghazi from Wed. 4/2

Dan Kuechenmeister 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Chris, Do I think Pres. Obama is a dictator. Nope. I do have growing concerns as to his increasing use of "executive privilege". No less then Jonathon Turley seems to agree. Here is a link to his testimony before congress. Jonathan Turley , American lawyer, legal scholar, writer, commentator, legal analyst in broadcast and print journalism. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan... http://jonathanturley.files.wordpress.com/2013/12/testimonyturley-faithful-house-final.pdf here is one brief part of his testimony "Even with this ample allowance, however, I believe that President Barack Obama has crossed the constitutional line between discretionary enforcement and defiance of federal law. Congress is given the defining function of creating and amending federal law. This is more than a turf fight between politicians. The division of governmental powers is designed to protect liberty by preventing the abusive concentration of power. All citizens –Democratic or Republican or Independent – should consider the inherent danger presented by a President who can unilaterally suspend laws as a matter of presidential license."

50+ house votes to repeal the ACA. Is that the same ACA that 26 percent support and 50% oppose. http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/03/support-for-obamacare-dips-to-26-percent.php

Belief of Presidents birth in Kenya. Is that a Media Matters talking point. that is such old news you bringing it up makes me smile. Last I checked he is pres and his term expires Jan. 20, 2017. I couldn't care less where he was born. You kind of come across in this post as one of the "local extremists"you refer to. Just because some one disagrees with you does not mean they are any less passionate about their beliefs and their love for this country and it's future.

Mark Ruckman 5 months, 2 weeks ago

You present your self as an extremist troll with a fruit cake for a mind. Why are you surprised by the reaction by the community?

The answer is that you are trolling, so you must act surprised by reactions.

Scott Wedel 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Or this thread demonstrates the presence of a handful of wingnuts that consider a local sales tax to be the same as being robbed with a gun to their head and equate the spending of $23K on a very popular local concert series with the fall of the Roman Empire.

rhys jones 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Or this thread demonstrates that some people have WAY too much time on their hands, their lack of a real life being directly proportional to the volume and frequency of their contributions.

Scott Wedel 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Rhys,

Is that a selfie comment? I count you with 18 posts on this thread. :)

john bailey 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Rhys , had the day off ? i'll see you manana....~;0)

Scott Wedel 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Steve,

And you are completely unaware that you have proved our points.

That comment by Tytler has been proven false many times because democracies have approved budget cuts to deal with financial issues. That comment fundamentally fails to recognize that when the private sector economy is more important than the public sector then the stability of government is more important than the benefits of government spending.

rhys jones 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Coupla points to ponder, Steve:

This is not a democracy, but a republic. Google the difference.

Ol' Alex is DEAD -- and this republic has survived him by 200+ years and counting.

It MIGHT dissolve in our lifetimes (not bloody likely) -- become the Federal Reserve States Inc, (already is, except in name) or maybe China West -- and when it does, we'll be able to track the problem back to our free shows.

Party on, Wayne!! Party on, Garth!!

rhys jones 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Yes, Steve, we can ponder ad infinitum on the various causes for the ultimate demise of our great Nation, and when it will be (or was). Personally, I'd date it back to 1913, when Woodrow Wilson, having been paid off by its member banks, shoved the Federal Reserve Act down a bare quorum of Congress' throats, they being anxious to go on Christmas break.

The IRS came right with them. They reign supreme, immune from any oversight: Private banks, controlling and manipulating our economy to their best advantage. Big money in wars, for instance, the funding of such, that's what keeps us rolling. Their headquarters are fortresses, and nobody has authority over them -- not the FBI, not Congress, not the President -- nobody. We have also argued long and hard in here what various dastardly deeds they may have committed to remain in power, but that deviates from this discussion. For certain, your taxes don't go to our government -- they go to the Federal Reserve, who then lends them back to us, with interest.

We need not fear invasion by the Chinese or anybody -- nor internal revolt -- the Fed would never allow either. Any restructuring will occur in boardrooms, courtrooms, and Fed forts, in a most civilized manner.

Such heavy topics are far from my mind, at a free show... our reward for contributing to the farce. Lighten up!!

rhys jones 5 months, 2 weeks ago

No, Steve, we won't survive the Fed. After they have milked us into bankruptcy, under whoever's direction and control -- the Sino-Saudi bloc? -- they will sail away into the sunset, taking our fortunes along with them, and leaving us to who-knows-what strife and deprivation...

And the problem won't be the entitlements they rolled out to mollify the little guy, on whose shoulders the whole thing works -- the problem will have been the entitlements they bestowed upon themselves, the yachts, planes, limos, parties, vacations, retreats, salaries, perks... it pervades every level of government, down to local; salaries and bennies for mid-level up are obscene. I've been waiting for the balloon to pop for 30 years.

Nobody likes taxes, and I contribute my share, on a caloric level anyway. Out of all the money they collect, the library and the free concerts are about their only expenditures I actually enjoy on a regular basis. (well, free bus counts) Thank you most of my fellow taxpayers, for supporting these entertaining venues.

rhys jones 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow, an average 20-minute turnaround, for over two days now... I mean, even a border collie with a stick gets tired eventually. Not that I can brag any rich life, poor reader, but Scott W you have met your match. And this guy's got an attitude.

I forgot to mention the Fab Four in lieu of fireworks a year or two back -- wasn't THAT one great? From the Rothschilds (majority owners of the Bank of England, majority owners of the Fed) to the Beatles, it seems the Brits still rule America.

Dan Kuechenmeister 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Beatles 64 was great. Especially liked the police car with lights flashing. Wasn't too keen until "Paul McCartney" was left handed. Partied with a friend who died from breast cancer 3 months later. Sad, but a great memory for life.

rhys jones 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Dan -- Those shows are priceless. At every one I meet friends I haven't seen for 10 years or more, some I may never see again. You often don't know the last time; they're just gone. All the money in the world couldn't replace some of my memories of our free shows. I especially like seeing the old folks there (ahem) as well as the kids playing. This year will continue the tradition. Thanks again, fellow citizens, for supporting this worthy cause.

Dan Kuechenmeister 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Hey Rhys, Did you see Sister Sparrow. Any band that can cover Doors, Rufus and Led Zeppelin among others is fun to see.

rhys jones 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Dan -- Can't say I remember that one, and I can't say I don't... after a while they all sort of all blend into one great show.

I've noticed a phenomenon at these shows: Out toward the edges sit the families, visitors, and old folks -- less crowded, and loud...

Down front stand (and dance) the locals. These are the support crew: The maids, cooks, dishwashers, clerks, drivers, lift ops, ditch diggers, wranglers, servers, flaggers -- everybody who makes it work for the moneyed folks.

If WE'RE not entitled -- WHO IS?

Robert Huron 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Steve being you are obsessed with entitlements as you call them why don't you start a campaign for like minded people to all opt out of Social Security and Medicare instead of collecting them when they turn 62 or 65. I'm sure your friends at the Steamboat Institute will gladly join your lead and expand it through the whole country. If all Conservatives like yourself follow your lead the cost to these programs will be greatly reduced. It will make you feel good and the rest of Steamboat can enjoy our "free" concerts..

Robert Huron 5 months, 2 weeks ago

The Conservatives have labeled these programs as entitlements along with the GI Bill however that would mean you are getting something for nothing. Over the last 50+ years many of us have paid into these programs to the tune in my case of hundreds of thousands of dollars. I do not call that an entitlement. It was earned by my dollars that I paid into these programs. Yes I always thought SS was a poor investment but I was willing to do it because I was helping to support the greatest generation that saved this country. They earned this with their blood on the beaches of Normandy and Iwo Jima like my Father and my Uncles. I realize you may not understand that. The GI Bill paid for my BA and MA and one years taxes paid back every cent the Gov't ever gave me. I also earned that while in Vietnam enjoying that tropical paradise. All these Socialistic Programs did great good for the country by reducing poverty especially for the elderly, raising the standard of living for all, educating millions of Vets and boosting the economy to name a few. The big problem with SS is that certain politicians decided to waste the $2 Trillion surplus in Iraq which they refuse to pay back. Medicare is a demographic problem which needs to be addressed and fixed but repeal or premium support is not the answer. But to fix anything you need 2 willing partners who will work together for the good of the country. Unfortunately our elected Representatives have been bought and sold by whoever gives them the most money. Wonder what they receive in return, Corporate Welfare and getting to classify their income Capital Gains just to name a few. Have a great summer and be careful on your motorcycle.

Ken Mauldin 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Be careful with too much factual information, Steve.

The "Climate Change is Real" column from a few days ago was removed. I'm not sure if the removal was related to your piece-meal retort or not, but the column and discussion has been removed from the site.