Steamboat Springs New Steamboat Springs High School baseball coaches Rusty McRight and David Reece want to bring a Texas brand of baseball to the program, and in the team’s first tests Friday, the Sailors passed with flying colors.
2014 Sailors baseball schedule
- March 14: Sailors baseball opens season with huge road wins
- March 15: Steamboat 10, Hotchkiss 9
- March 22: at Eagle Valley doubleheader, 11 a.m.
- March 29: vs. Summit doubleheader at Moffat County High School, TBD
- April 1: at Palisade doubleheader, 4 p.m.
- April 5: Steamboat 3, Battle Mountain 1; Steamboat 14, Battle Mountain 3
- April 12: Rifle 7, Steamboat 1; Rifle 8, Steamboat 7
- April 15: at Moffat doubleheader, 4 p.m.
- April 19: at Glenwood Springs doubleheader, 11 a.m.
- April 30: Summit wins, Steamboat forfeits; Steamboat 10, Summit 0
- May 3: Sailors find positives in late-season struggles
Playing their first doubleheader of the season on Day 1 of the Glenwood Springs Tournament, the Sailors easily dismantled Glenwood in the early part of the day and made quick work of Middle Park in the afternoon.
Senior Ryan Jeep pitched a two-hit, two-walk shutout against Glenwood as Steamboat rolled to a 14-0 win. Offensively, McRight said his lineup from top to bottom complemented Jeep’s stellar performance.
“They’re hitting the ball really well,” McRight said. “Basically, I’m just trying to teach them how we did it back in Texas. They’re learning a different way of hitting the ball and they are all producing. It’s really encouraging.”
In the back half of the day, Steamboat routed Middle Park, 21-1, behind Billy Clark and Matt Regan on the mound. Each pitched a pair of innings, with Clark giving up one run and Regan posting a shutout performance.
McRight praised his roster’s buy-in to the offseason training program he and Reece built leading up to the spring.
“I was very surprised in the amount of kids who took part in the offseason weight lifting,” McRight said. “We are very strong in terms of arms on the mound.”
Steamboat will return to the diamond at 1:15 p.m. Saturday against Hotchkiss in Glenwood.
To reach Ben Ingersoll, call 970-871-4204, email bingersoll@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @BenMIngersoll