Housekeeper accidentally gets high after eating found chocolate bar in Steamboat Springs

Advertisement

— A housekeeper with a sweet tooth reportedly got extremely high Monday when he indulged in a chocolate bar left behind in a condo.

The 18-year-old man told police he did not know the foil-wrapped chocolate was infused with marijuana.

"He decided to eat the entire chocolate bar," Steamboat Springs Police Department Sgt. Scott Middleton said. "Within five minutes, he was very affected by it."

The man started feeling funny, and co-workers at the vacation condo complex in the 1400 block of Pine Grove Road called for an ambulance.

He was taken to Yampa Valley Medical Center and treated for an overdose, Middleton said.

Middleton said the candy bar wrapper had "very fine print" that said the product contained tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC.

While it still is illegal for people younger than 21 to consume marijuana for recreational use, Middleton said charges were not pursued because the man claimed he mistakenly ingested it.

Middleton noted the potency of infused marijuana products can be quite high. Some infused chocolate bars sold for recreational use in Steamboat can contain 100 mg of THC.

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247, email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @SBTStensland

Join the Yampa Valley VIP email club

Yampa Valley VIP

Comments

jerry carlton 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Was it sold locally? Tell us some more about the safety of pot you supporters!

0

Mark Ruckman 5 months, 2 weeks ago

This is the first of odd stories to be reported over the next several years

1

Scott Wedel 5 months, 2 weeks ago

On one hand he is lucky that the leftover food wasn't left because it was known bad. Eating food left in a condo is not a smart thing to do.

And then what was the life saving treatments performed at the hospital? Most likely just advising him to calm down and let it wear off.

The "tiny text" must be larger than 1/16th of an inch and it must include the mj leaf symbol must be larger than 1/4" by 1/4" according to state rules. If it complied then I guess that it what the state allowed.

1

rhys jones 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Man, nobody leaves magic chocolates where I work.

1

jerry carlton 5 months, 2 weeks ago

No where in the article does it mention "life saving treatments. Oz, you should try one of the bars and then report back with first hand experience how safe it was.

0

Requires free registration

Posting comments requires a free account and verification.