Diane Mitsch Bush: Working across the partisan divide

I am honored to work for you. I am running for re-election on my record and on promises kept. I promised you I would work effectively across the partisan divide and the Continental Divide for practical, fiscally responsible solutions to build a better future for all Coloradans. My record shows that I have done that.

I have earned a reputation for working across the aisle and bringing people together to solve problems. I am known for careful, complete scrutiny and analysis of bills. Colorado Capitol Watch, a non-partisan government watchdog group, named me the most effective freshman representative in 2013.

I am proud to have worked on and supported two balanced budgets that fund much needed programs to build a better future for all Coloradans, including:

■ Tax incentives for small business investment, job creation, and targeted job training

■ Child care tax credits for middle class families

■ Veterans assistance

■ Disaster relief

■ Funding for creative industries and tourism

■ Increased funding for preschool, K-12, and higher education

■ Wastewater and drinking water projects, especially for smaller rural communities overhaul of Colorado driver’s license offices, technology, and processes

Moreover, we increased our reserve from 5 to 6.5 percent without asking you for a tax increase. A solid rainy day fund is critical when disaster strikes or if the economy worsens.

I supported bills that provide for:

■ A 3 percent cap on tuition increases at our state colleges and universities to ensure all our children have the opportunity to succeed

■ Adult education and literacy programs to increase economic opportunity and help struggling adults find jobs to support themselves and their families

■ Job training partnerships matching veterans with employers

■ Energy and water efficiency and conservation

■ Protection of our air quality, water quality, and wildlife habitat

■ Rural broadband and a 21st century telecommunications infrastructure

■ Child care tax credits and enhanced childcare program assistance

■ Grants to provide legal representation for victims of family violence

■ Housing tax credits and low interest loans to expand construction of affordable housing

■ Tax credits for community solar gardens

■ Stronger safety net for vulnerable, needy seniors

■ Liability protection for agritourism

■ Rural Family Medicine residency programs

■ Health Care Cost Commission to make transparent the costs of health care in Colorado

In both 2013 and 2014, all my evidenced-based, fiscally responsible bills passed with bipartisan support. This is unusual; rarely do all the bills of one legislator pass. I believe this accomplishment is due to my inclusive approach. I invite all stakeholders to work with me before the bill is drafted and throughout the process.

Of my 13 bills, here are five examples:

1. Insured that we received our fair share of much needed Federal Transportation dollars

2. Tightened up spill reporting for oil and gas to protect our water

3. Assured continuation of the Colorado Avalanche Information Center

4. Reduced red tape to streamline permitting of small hydro power projects to create more rural jobs and increase our use of renewable energy

5. Protected funding for Safe Routes to School, a proven, successful grant program that helps make our communities safer and more bike/pedestrian friendly.

I believe in building bridges (not barriers), using partnership (not partisanship) and relying on evidence (not ideology) to build a better future for Colorado. When we all work together, we can create a more just, equitable, sustainable and prosperous Colorado for all.

You can count on me as your strong mountain community voice at our Capitol. Please contact me at repdiane

hd26@gmail.com with your concerns, issues, and ideas.

I would be honored to have your support in the 2014 election!

Comments

Anita Hawkins 2 months ago

Thanks for your dedication and inclusion of all Routt and Summit County's residents' issues. It's refreshing to have someone who is positive and working on solutions.

Dan Shores 2 months ago

Thank you Diane for your interest and dedication in supporting the issues that affect Routt County. I hope that you will continue to work for and provide updates as to what is being done to reduce the outrageously expensive and unaffordable health insurance rates here in Routt County. The rates are incredibly unfair and it is completely unreasonable to expect anyone to afford these rates, especially when you consider the high cost of pretty much everything here in Steamboat. A sixty thousand dollar a year income in say Denver, goes a lot farther than the same income in mountain towns.

Thanks for your continued efforts.

Fred Duckels 2 months ago

Did we forget to mention the war on guns and coal, the primary taxpayer in the county.

Scott Wedel 2 months ago

To be accurate, Twentymile is the largest individual property tax payer in the county. That said, there are so many other valuable properties in the county that Twentymile represents less than 1% of the county's property tax revenues.

The healthcare rates is a double edged sword for politicians. They could draw Colorado as one region and then insurance rates would be the same here as in Denver. But then the reimbursement rate would also be the same as Denver which would put the squeeze on local doctors and hospitals. Too bad they don't allow for an insurance plan that allows going to Denver for the expensive stuff in order to reduce costs.

Joe Meglen 2 months ago

Fred,

You do have a way of distilling issues down to basics in just a sentence or two. I also noticed a few details missing from our incumbent’s “Op-ed” including her support for the collectivist money grab called Amendment 66.

Ken Collins 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Thank you, Diane. I wish we could get our national Congress to get 1/2 of what you guys get done.

mark hartless 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Hey Ken, Did you see the news last week??? Canada passed legislation sending that evil tar-sands oil to the west coast. Kind of like a big 'ole "F-U" to your claims that not building the KXL would help the environment. From there it will find it's way to Asia, China mostly. They will consume the oil, burn it in dirtier cars and factories, use it to make their economy grow ever stronger while ours weakens (-2.9% first quarter GDP). Still haven't heard you'r answer about how transporting oil in dirtier trains is better for the environment. Have you thought anything up on that yet???

Eric Morris 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Diane, why don't you pass the hat amongst your friends for all the do-gooder things you claim to do instead of stealing (that is what taxation is) from those who don't want to contribute?