The Record for Sunday, June 15, 2014

12:36 a.m. Steamboat Springs Police Department officers were called to a report of a suspicious vehicle in the 800 block of Howelsen Parkway.

2:24 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a drunken person at a bar in the 700 block of Yampa Street. Police gave the man a courtesy ride to stay with a sober person.

3:02 a.m. Officers saw an intoxicated person who was vomiting in the passenger seat of a vehicle that was parked near the police station. While officers were talking to the intoxicated person, a sober person showed up and told police they were taking care of the drunken person.

9:15 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a man who was angry and had destroyed thousands of dollars worth of his girlfriend's clothes. The man had cut some of the clothing and also poured hot sauce and some other unknown liquid on the clothing. Police arrested the man on suspicion of criminal mischief and theft.

3:09 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a man who was stumbling at Nob and Broad streets. Police were unable to locate him.

9:38 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a vehicle that had been keyed overnight in the 2300 block of Mount Werner Circle.

11:43 a.m. Officers were called to a complaint about a vehicle that was parked in front of a fire hydrant in the 3200 block of Aspen Wood Drive.

3:56 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a green 1998 Ford Explorer that was stolen from someone in Steamboat. The vehicle had not been recovered by Monday morning.

7:21 p.m. Officers were called to a report of someone who was assaulted the night before at a wedding in the 1800 block of Ski Time Square Drive.

8:42 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a person who was attacked by a man on a bicycle in the 500 block of Lincoln Avenue. Police were unable to locate the attacker.

Comments

bill schurman 6 months ago

Lots of drunks, no stoners. Get the picture ??

Jeff Kibler 6 months ago

At least not here, Bill. How about the

Stoned driver smashes into CNN Centre lobby ???

click here stoner dude

jerry carlton 6 months ago

Bill Why can you not understand ALL addictions are destructive?

bill schurman 6 months ago

I'm not in favor of addictions. But this has nothing to do with addictions, it is just a realistic comment on things.

jerry carlton 6 months ago

So stoners are not addicted and they have been smoking since Vietnam and that proves they are not addicted? They can quit anytime? They just do not want to? Just like cigarettes or alcohol or gambling or etc?

brian ferguson 6 months ago

My father smoked thru the 60's and 70's and 80's, stopped smoking thru the 90's and 2000's. ...and then decided to enjoy mj again recently due to the fact that alcohol made him feel like crap. He is a Vietnam vet, has a degree in English, raised 7 kids (6 of whom weren't even his), worked for a large electronics corporation for 20+ as a distribution manager for the central U.S., and is a terrific golfer :-).....but ya....stupid stoner.

Cresean Sterne 6 months ago

Pretty sure the guy was getting a Mc Handy from his pd passenger at the CNN fiasco. :-) Maybe stoned to but doubt that had anything to do with it. Regardless, its just one incident amongst the millions that happen from drinking.

Social moderate recreational use of MJ is just as harmless as a beer or two after work. Anything can be addictive if over used or indulged but MJ is less addictive then just about any other substance used. Lets get off the self righteous wagon..

rhys jones 6 months ago

Pot never got me in trouble. Beer has gotten me in trouble several times. Even when I got busted for pot, it was beer that got me into it. Some day I'll learn.

I discovered, quite inadvertently and decades ago, that MJ greatly enhances my ability to concentrate and follow complex software logic. It has assisted me in designing unique and new applications, on numerous occasions. Much of this software is still in use today, and making money for its owners; I had no proprietary interests, just went down the road. That'll teach me too.

Besides all the proven medical benefits, I am living proof that MJ can be put to constructive use.

Jerry, I'm sure you lead a faultless life. Just don't be so quick to judge.

jerry carlton 6 months ago

Rhys Far from faultless. Ever think that if you had invested the money you spent on pot for the last 50 years in any decent mutual fund your financial situation might be much better now? As you know, i spent 5 years as a corrections officer and heard from no one how much pot had enhanced their life. Alcohol has never enhanced my life and I would be far better off had I never had my first beer.

Brian Good for your father. Makes two people, Rhys and him that I have heard of that pot has really enhanced their lives. Never heard of anyone whose life was enhanced by alcohol although I admit to consuming. I heard from hundreds, possibly thousands in 5 years that both drugs did great damage to.

Cresean Did your evidence that pot is not addictive come from all the Vietnam Vets still smoking? You believe what you want and I will believe what I want.

Cresean Sterne 6 months ago

Jerry, my evidence comes from all the facts that can be found by a simple search and reading. Also by the many people I have know over 35 yrs who use without any life altering changes or problems. Moderate rec use of MJ will not be phsicaly addictive unlike almost everything else out there, including simple things like even food addiction. I understand your point and do recognize that certain habbits including MJ are not for everyone. Pot has different effects on different people along with alcohol and other substances but pot does not have the physical effects that almost all others substances do. Although pot can make one lazy and unmotivated which is probably the worst side effect it has the medical aspects are overwhelming and are continuing to be understood.

I would asume that many vets who use pot do so for PTSD and to help them relax through any sort of disability and pain. Its either that or some expensive government approved pharmaceutical drug whith a multiple list of horrific addictive side effects.

Scott Wedel 6 months ago

The addictive aspects of pot are well known medically.

Pot is not physically addictive because there are no withdraw symptoms. The withdraw symptoms for alcohol and narcotics are well documented and quitting without medical supervision can be fatal. Likewise, quitting nicotine has strong physical reaction.

Pot is addictive as a habit like video games or so on. Pot can be enough of a lifestyle that it takes huge personal changes to quit, but it is not physically addictive.

jerry carlton 6 months ago

Physical addictions or psychological addictions destroy lives. A huge percentage of the inmates in Yakima County Jail were chronic pot, alcohol, etc. abusers. Staying stoned, drunk, etc. is a convenient way to kill physiological pain and avoid dealing with the problems of life.

rhys jones 6 months ago

I wish I had all day to sit around opining on the shortcomings of others, but I'm too busy dealing with the problems of life.

I was so tired from wrestling with this box yesterday, I couldn't even stay awake long enough to watch the Rockies lose again. So I can offer no sage commentary.

I'm just a disappointment all around, huh Jerry?

jerry carlton 6 months ago

Rhys Responding on my life experiences with addictions to Scott. Nothing was aimed at you. As I have never met you, I could have no expectations about you therefore I could not be disappointed in you. I enjoy our exchanges especially concerning sports. Rockies down two to zero. Win 3 in a row against the leading team in the division and now lose three in a row against the second place team. No consistency or logic to the Rockies. Two posts above I misspelled psychological as physiological. Actually though both pains can be dulled with pot.

jerry carlton 6 months ago

Cresean Nice to hear that you concede pot can make some people lazy and unmotivated. You think we have enough lazy unmotivated people in this country or do we need to add to that pool?

Scott Wedel 6 months ago

It is hardly proven that industrious people become lazy when using pot. I haven't seen any study proving that. From my personal experience, it appears far more common that lazy people are attracted to heavy pot usage because it makes their laziness easier.

I have seen highly motivated people use pot as a winding down drug after a hectic day instead of a couple of alcoholic drinks because they found it easier to start the next day if not recovering from alcohol. So I don't think it directly makes people lazy.

Probably, in an ideal world there would be no alcohol, tobacco, cocaine, pot or demand for other recreational substance use. Considering that virtually every culture finds a local substance to be their recreational drug then it seems likely there is something about human brain biology that naturally creates a need for some people to have a recreational drug.

Of all the recreational drugs commonly available in the US, there is no question that pot is the least damaging to the users.

jerry carlton 6 months ago

Scott Expand on your " personal experience " ? I have told everyone about my jail experiences.

rhys jones 6 months ago

I might suggest that you are both sheltered individuals.

rhys jones 6 months ago

Walk on my side of the street for a while. Bring gloves.

Scott Wedel 6 months ago

Dealt with tenants around here and worked in Silicon Valley for nearly 20 years.

Cresean Sterne 6 months ago

Lazy people are lazy people. MJ can inhance that for some but not most.

john bailey 6 months ago

what ever , did Audrey Dwyer in the Music section announce that BHTM is the TBA free concert ? or did I miss this somwhere ?...~'0)

Dan Kuechenmeister 6 months ago

Hey John, I had seen a little ad in the paper earlier this week which listed the concert schedule at Howelson and saw BHTM was scheduled here for July 5. Looks like they kind of casually snuck it under the radar unless I missed an announcement when I was gone June 11 - June 16

john bailey 6 months ago

ok , I see it in last Wednesdays rag , now where is my cookie for my correct prediction of this event , HA ...~;0) see you all there.....

jerry carlton 6 months ago

Scott So are your tenants the lazy people or the silicon valley people the lazy people? Are your tenants the pot users or the silicon valley people the pot users? As I have told you before, the majority of my tenants [inmates] at the Yakima County Jail were pot users, alcoholics, and hard drug users. I was under the impression that the liberals are creating an "ideal world" so there should soon be no requirement for recreational drugs. You do agree that the world and this country is becoming more liberal?

Pat West 6 months ago

Jerry ever think that the traits and behaviors of people in jail are not the best source for judging society as a whole. That's like me going to church and asking who believes in god, and then inferring that everyone in the world believes in god. Establishing an opinion about substance abuse based on people already in jail gives you a biased opinion.

Plenty of people drink but are not drunks, plenty of people gamble but don't loose/bet the farm, plenty of people use all types of substances but do not become addicted. The people that can moderately use substances do not end up in jail, so you would have never seen examples of them, and with the overbearing legal consequences of illegal drug use, jail is where you end up without a means of getting treatment for your problem. You saw the products of a failed "war on drugs", people that need council ing, and treatment, not jail. But, once they enter the system, it's a downward spiral that is hard to escape.

Scott Wedel 6 months ago

Jerry,

Virtually everyone in jail for armed robbery owned guns. A high percentage of people in jail for murder owned guns. Thus, someone looking at the inmates would conclude that gun ownership leads to crime.

You have to look at more diverse groups to see that there are many people that own guns without shooting anyone or using them to commit crimes. (And so it is reasonable to have background checks on the buyers of guns so that it is illegal for convicted criminals and the mentally ill from buying guns).

Likewise for pot and even alcohol, the fact that people end up in jail with mj and alcohol problems does not mean there cannot be many responsible successful people that also use pot or drink alcohol.