Joe Meglen: Restoring Republic

A seismic event occurred in Virginia on Tuesday when grassroots, outsider economics Professor Dave Brat soundly defeated the GOP House Majority leader Eric Cantor in the Virginia 7th District Republican primary.

Dave Brat is a supporter of the Second, Fourth and 10th amendments and opposes illegal immigration. He ran on a principled platform of free markets and a return to smaller constitutional government.

This is a staggering blow to the GOP and Democrat party establishment, both being separate wings of the Big Government party. What does this have to do with residents of District 26 and the people of Colorado?

This is a victory not only for the people in Virginia. It is a victory for all of the people in every state that yearn to return to a Constitutional Republic that once again honors the rule of law and protects individual liberty. This earth-shaking win is proof that the lawless, overreaching, self-serving big government establishment can be defeated. The people are awakening, and there is a glimmer of hope.

As we approach the November elections, it is important that we don’t get bogged down with the “Democrat versus Republican, “left versus right” paradigm. It is the left versus right distraction that keeps the two political parties that have a monopoly on politics in power. This is a fight, a war, between leviathan government and the individual liberty guaranteed in the Constitution.

As government grows, freedom dies. Every new law, regulation, ordinance or government “job” created is done so at the direct expense of freedom and opportunity. We have tried socialized big government solutions developed by an “enlightened” ruling class for more than 100 years. Only the most naïve fail to see the destruction this has wrought.

The government has bankrupted the country, destroyed what was once the American dream and the freedom of choice that was the fundamental reason our ancestors came to this country. It is time to change course and do what we can to restore the Republic.

The tectonic event in Virginia proves that a committed and informed electorate can throw out ideologue self-serving politicians that lose sight of the fact they are our agents, not our rulers. It is the duty of the people to understand who they are voting for.

Examine the politician’s voting record. Those that have demonstrated a disregard for the constitutional restraints they took an oath to uphold, must be removed for cause. They can’t be trusted. We must work and vote for, without regard to party affiliation, a candidate who is grounded in the fundamental principles that protect individual liberty.

It is preferable that we elect citizen legislators who come from the private sector so that they will have a real-world understanding of what it takes to survive in that segment of society that pays taxes rather than lives off the taxes. This is not to disparage all public employees for there is a lawful role for government in providing essential services and protecting the rule of law.

For those that stayed home during the last election cycle because you didn’t think your vote counted, look what happened. It is important to understand that “one of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.” — Plato

Joe Meglen

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Karl Koehler 6 months ago

Well stated Joe. It's too bad the founding fathers didn't think to include in the Constitution a political remedy to enable the people's representatives to take appropriate actions should individuals in government in fact demonstrate complete disregard and disdain for the system they are sworn to protect and defend. Guys like Eric Cantor - oops!, I mean Dave Brat - could make good use of such a provision.

Brian Kotowski 6 months ago

Brat's victory is all the more impressive in light of the funding disparity. $5.44 million v. Brat's $207,000. Reminiscent of the recall effort that ousted two of Colorado's most enthusiastic gun grabbers last fall: $3.5 million for the gun controllers, vs. $540,000 for the recallers.

Ken Collins 6 months ago

Before you get too excited, here are some numbers. Va. 7th District : 76% white 4.9% Hispanic 475.000 registered voters 270,000 are Republicans 65,000 voted 36,000 voted for Brat

It was an open primary. Both parties could vote, and some independent and Dems voted. 8.8% voted, meaning only 4.9% of the registered voters voted for Brat. Not sure if that is considered "tectonic", in Va. or especially across the U.S.

mark hartless 6 months ago

Ken Collins is right. This means little considering Brat will have to actually get elected against a Democrat. How many Democrats voted for Brat just so their candidate would have a better chance in the general election??

Restoring this republic is now impossible. The once great AMERICAN culture will soon disappear into the multi-cultural abyss. Read "Comming Apart" by Charles Murray

Scott Wedel 6 months ago

Mark,

Saw an article looking at the election precinct by precinct and the analysis was that there was no clear evidence that Democrats had a noticeable effect voting in the primary. Key finding was that Cantor lost in the most Republican precincts which would have needed exceptional Democratic turnout to make a difference. And that sort of exceptional Democratic turnout was not there in the less Republican precincts.

So while there might have been Democrats voting for David Brat, it is extremely unlikely that it was decisive. That Republicans voted out Cantor.

This is far more of a surprise than being a significant change. A conservative Republican winning a heavily Republican district is hardly a change. It was a big surprise that someone so overwhelmed in spending won, but some of us have been saying for a while that spending doesn't change that many votes.

I think both parties are generally happy with ideological purity of the other party. That is a more stable situation for both political parties. Democrats have the urban areas and the Republicans have the rural areas and both parties are ever more skilled at appealing to their bases.

John St Pierre 6 months ago

we should all rememeber the famed words of Tip O'neil..... "all politics are local" this was essentially a major screw up by a guy who forgot who put him in office and grew to big for his own britches...... not taking care of the people in the district he represented...

Thi is being jumped on and blown out of proportion by both sides now...... but I would suspect that the GOP had better get its at together.... as its not the battles that count... but the WAR!!

bill schurman 6 months ago

Ho hum, one conservative replaces another. That the Republicans are punting on immigration will, among other things, will fail them in 2016. They just do not get it when it comes to the big issues of the day. Hispanic and female votes lost. Not even Fox TV or the Koch brothers can save them.

Scott Wedel 6 months ago

And yet the Democrats almost certainly will not have control of the House and have a minority of governors and state houses. If that is losing then the Republicans can live with that.

The Republicans have little to fear until Democrats start winning rural districts. (SB as a ski area resort area has the demographics of an urban city like Boulder and is thus a Democratic county)

I think when this becomes a tossup congressional district and ceases to be a safe Republican district is when the Republican Party has reasons to be concerned.

mark hartless 6 months ago

There were 6 elephants at the zoo and no rhino's. So the zoo took 3 elephants and put them in the rhino pen and painted the word "rhino" on their back. Does this make those 3 elephants rhino's?

Democrats calling themselves Republicans might win a few more elections, but they are just "rino's"... Republican In Name Only.

Hell, if JFK himself stood up today and gave a speech at a democrat convention saying: "ask not what your country can do for you..." he'd be kicked out of the now "handout party" without hesitation.

Republicans are democrats of 40 years ago and democrats are the communists we were warned would infiltrate and destroy the nation from within... and they have.

Chris Hadlock 6 months ago

It must be hard to live your life so scared of every little change. Where you always like this or did these irrational fears happen as you got older Mark? One of the 1st signs of dementia is the solid belief that "We didn't do things that way in my day".

Ken Mauldin 6 months ago

This personal attack is a more clear violation of the Terms of Use than anything I ever saw Steve Mendell post.

It's unfortunate that someone 'liked' a personal attack on another poster.

john bailey 6 months ago

yes , looks like the rules are not applied equally around here, sad , really....

mark hartless 6 months ago

We all ought to try to have thicker skin.

Chris is entitled to believe what he wants and I didn't find his comments all that hurtful or inexcuseable. He smacks me around... I smack back. No big deal.

It is understandable to bristle at the notion of un-equal treatment.

The Pilot has the final say here, but I think none of this rises to the level of even being worth mentioning.

I sincerely wish more people could dish it out AND take it without waving for the referee. It's just words... ideas...

Chris Hadlock 6 months ago

I am absolutely sure that Mark and I do not agree on much. However, in this case I agree with him. I can still find no "personal" attack in my words, just a harsh attack on his spoken opinion that he would disband the entire Gov't. You are each entitled to your own opinion and invited to express it as always.

I would say at this point that the editors agree more with Mark and I than with Ken, but they may prove me wrong yet.

jerry carlton 6 months ago

Chris Mark certainly needs no defense by me but since your statement could be construed as an attack on any elderly person I would like to know the basis of your statement about dementia. Are you a psychiatrist, a clinical psychologist, or did you just pull that statement out of where the sun does not shine? My mother had first stage dementia when she died at 83 and it was not a pretty sight. Maybe you should go to Casey's Pond and volunteer and meet some people with dementia or Alzheimer's and maybe you would not take it so lightly.

Chris Hadlock 6 months ago

Jerry, i am sorry for your loss. I too lost my father to a dementia disease at the age of 68, so I am fully aware of it's toll.

Ken Mauldin 6 months ago

Chris: Assigning someone's values to a mental defect is neither responsible nor consistent with the Terms of Service. That you and Mark are comfortable with the banter is not the point.

That your post remains, while Steve Mendell's whole voice was removed from this forum, tells us what we need to know about the viewpoint discrimination that is imposed here. Liberal-minded posters are permitted to violate the rules without consequence while conservative-minded posters are held to a higher standard of conduct. It's a blatant double-standard that goes straight to the heart of professional integrity. I continue to encourage the Pilot staff to reconsider their obvious bias in the application of the Terms of Service and restore Steve Mendell's account and all of his posts.

Chris Hadlock 6 months ago

I support your call to reinstate Steve Mendell. I never saw him post anything to justify his removal.

Ken Collins 6 months ago

Mark H once called me an "idiot" for something I wrote. Did I take it personally? Well....yeah. Was I hurt? NO. If you look above, he agrees with me on something. Rare, but that's what discussion is about. Give and take. Keep it civil.

rhys jones 6 months ago

Am I mistaken, or do I remember correctly, that Steve was expunged because of some kind of misrepresentation; eg, Steve was not Steve?

jerry carlton 6 months ago

Rhys to the best of my knowledge the Pilot never gave a printed or on-line reason for it. Color the Rockies dead and they win three in a row from San Fran. Then lose to LA 6 to 1. What will happen tonight?

rhys jones 6 months ago

Jerry -- Good question!! Which Rockies will show up? Who's pitching?

My rocket just landed from CyberSpace. Tip to aspiring Web designers: When assigning variable names, use only lower case, and leave out spaces. "passyd" is much easier to deal with than "PassYd" or "PassYD" (don't intermix!!) or worse yet "Pass Yd" that space can really mess up your pattern matching, and drive programmers in your wake, crazy.

But I figured it out, almost accidentally, and now I'm ready: Play ball!!

PS -- There are contributors to these forums who can vouch for me. Has anybody actually met Steve?