The Record for Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Police, fire and ambulance calls

12:18 a.m. Steamboat Springs Police Department officers were called to a report of a person who wanted to complain about noise coming from a bulldozer in the 2900 block of Riverside Plaza. Work was being done to repair a broken water line.

1:17 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a bear in a dumpster in the first block of Sequoia Court. It was scared away.

6:09 a.m. Steamboat Springs Fire Rescue firefighters were called to help a sick person in the 40400 block of Fathom Drive.

8:13 a.m. Officers were called to check on the welfare of a boy who had been left in a car in the 300 block of Lincoln Avenue. The car’s air conditioning was on, and the 10-year-old was fine.

9:51 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a man walking down the Yampa River Core Trail who looked very upset and was screaming and cursing. He could not be found.

10:16 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a person who wanted to sign a complaint about bears getting into a dumpster in the 300 block of River Road.

10:24 a.m. A person came to the police department to complain about cyclists on River Road.

10:32 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a river tube found on the road at Central Park Drive and Mount Werner Road.

10:47 a.m. Steamboat firefighters were called to help a woman stuck in an elevator in the 200 block of Anglers Drive.

10:55 a.m. Officers were called to check on the driver of a BMW who had pressed the distress button. The car could not be located.

11:15 a.m. Officers were called to a report of transients storing their things at Elk River Road and Curve Plaza.

11:19 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a neighbor dispute in the 2700 block of Iris Lane.

11:43 a.m. Officers were called to a report of a money clip stolen from Rotary Park.

12:06 p.m. Steamboat firefighters were called to help a sick person in the 900 block of Weiss Drive.

12:07 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a diamond necklace found at Yampa and Seventh streets.

12:44 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a fraud in the 1300 block of Dream Island Plaza. A person paid for a $2,000 car on eBay and never received it.

2:50 p.m. Steamboat firefighters were called to help someone who possibly had a stroke in the 30100 block of Elk Lane.

2:39 p.m. Officers were called to a report of harassment between two neighbors in the 700 block of Deerfoot Arts Park Drive. The situation was mediated.

3:55 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a disturbance in the 800 block of Broad Street. Two females were fighting about a dog. The situation is mediated.

5:24 p.m. Officers were called to a report of cars parking on the new Yampa Street curbs. The drivers were educated about the new curbs.

7:41 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a former couple arguing over property in the first block of Anglers Drive. They were referred to small claims court.

9:58 p.m. Officers were called to a report of car tires slashed in the first block of Cypress Court.

10:46 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a suspicious person in the 2300 block of Mount Werner Circle. A 10-year-old alone in a hotel room was concerned about a man that had been knocking on the door for the past 10 minutes. The man was knocking on the wrong door.

11:27 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a bear getting into trash at Walton Creek Road and Après Ski Way.

11:54 p.m. Officers were called to a report of a chair stolen from outside a restaurant at Fifth Street and Lincoln Avenue.

Comments

rhys jones 5 months ago

Bill -- I flew commercial air cross-country alone when I was 8.

mark hartless 5 months ago

Those were different times, Rhys. We all were allowed to do things as kids that can no longer be considered prudent.

Also, it's hard to wander off an airplane or for an assailant to break into one.

jerry carlton 5 months ago

8:13 A.M. Boy was fine but what if car transmission slipped into gear or the boy decided to play with gear selector. It is also illegal to leave cars idling in Colorado.That early in the morning heat should not be an issue so all windows cracked and car locked would have been much safer.

Kevin Nerney 5 months ago

Hey guys; This is not related to the police blotter but since you 4 are the one's I want to reach out to this is as good a place as any to ask. Most of you know that I;'m 56 and grow up under a strict marine dad so there is no previous drug use. That is correct 5 years NYPD 15 years FDNY never once tried pot,grass wakiey weed etc.. etc. Now the question for all to answer honestly please. I recently underwhen brain surgery for GBM stage 4 brain cancer. Starting mon. 7/21/ I will be living in Denver for a month to get chemo and radiation. Now I know it's legal and probably cheap if I get the medical stuff but since I am so old school and have never used it before should I go smoke some marijuana?
thanks in advance for you help and concern Kevin

Martha D Young 5 months ago

You are in my prayers, Kevin. May you recovery be successful.

jerry carlton 5 months ago

Kevin I will be praying for you. I am 70 on Aug 2 and have just as much experience with pot as you so I do not have a clue.

Kevin Nerney 5 months ago

Thanks Jerry , pray is really all I got it's out of my hands Happy birthday

mark hartless 5 months ago

I do not believe it is wrong to seek relief from pain and infirmities. Nor do I believe it shows weakness. Niether is it heroic to endure unnecessary suffering.

I no longer smoke pot because of religious and medical reasons, and because I just don't like the way it makes me feel.

However, I would not hesitate to seek relief in that or any other substance (moderately applied) if I was in your position.

I do not believe Marijuana is addictive enough to be of any major concern. It certainly is less of an impact than many other drugs widely used in hospitals.

I will tick a few folks off here but I will warn you: From my extensive past experience...Pot IS NOT a pain killer.

Others swear it helps with cancer treatment and I will not dispute a claim with which I thankfully have no experience.

I hope and pray for your quick and complete recovery. God is the Great Physician with whom all things are possible. His Holy Spirit is the Great Comforter. My advice is to seek Gods face along with his gift of modern medicine. I know I would rely on them both if I were in your position.

Best

john bailey 5 months ago

wow Kevin tough news to hear , my best to you in fighting this beast we know as cancer. lost my mom to it years ago, and local friends here as well. that said , no need to inhale ingesting is more the way to go. .......~;0) may the good lord see you through this battle.

Scott Wedel 5 months ago

Kevin,

Praying for you.

Ingesting is not a kind way for new users since they have no idea of how much is right for them. I think the vaporizing pens/cigs is the way to go. No smoke and a modest controlled dosage that allows you to stop before taking more than you like.

Terry Noble 5 months ago

So sorry to hear the news Kevin. Prayers are with you and yours. As far as refer goes, first consult your Dr., then I personally would let the good Lord guide me in my decision. It could be a good case study that would benefit others down the road. I personally feel you have nothing to lose doing it. Never alone, be safe it IS a drug and enjoy.

Pat West 5 months ago

Kevin, dont ask these overinformed, idiots, about MMJ as a treatment or relief for you cancer. Seek out a doctor that has experence with MMJ and follow thier advice. There is plenty of evidence of the benifits that MMJ can provide, but this fourm's regulars probally do not know everything(or anything) about MMJ. It has proven results that most in the medical world have been conditioned by the western medical complex to ignore. I would give RMR a call and speak to someone there to get a lead to a doctor that could give you real advice about MMJ's potential.

Good luck with your fight.

Phoebe Hackman 5 months ago

Pat's right, Kevin; these are not the people to ask. Go see the guys at RMR. They are extremely knowledgeable and professional. If you feel weird about going in there, I bet they would be happy to make an appointment to meet with you privately.

Best of luck to you!

Dan Kuechenmeister 5 months ago

So let me get this right. Kevin reaches out to this forum for help and advice on some thing he has no knowledge of. He gets lots of thoughtful and caring responses. The best advice may have been from Pat W. regards getting advice from a doctor and or RMR, but Pat's condescension regards other posters on this forum, whom apparently he disagrees with on other issues makes him appear petty. Great advice to Kevin, Pat, but your delivery is a bit off putting.

Pat West 5 months ago

Sorry that I have no respect for the opinions on this forum with regards to MJ use, and it's benefits or burden to society.

mark hartless 5 months ago

After all, he should only ask ONE opinion...

Chris Hadlock 5 months ago

As a cancer survivor myself, my heart goes out to you Kevin. Fight the fight and never give up. I am living proof that it can be done. (30+ years now). Talk with RMR, they can help I assure you. It works better than any pill the Dr. can give you to help with the side effects.

rhys jones 5 months ago

I am shocked, and my heart goes out to you, Kevin. I would have commented sooner, but I am in the process of moving. I would suggest the edibles as well, if you would prefer to avoid the smoke and associated pleasant buzz. Edibles have a different effect, almost negligible, compared to smoking it.

The doctors have probably told you to quit smoking cigarettes, if you do that. That's what they made my Dad do, when he was dying of Mesothelioma. They deprived him of ten months of pleasure, when he was toast anyway. I tried to make him some pot cookies, buy did it wrong; it was gritty and he didn't like them, although they did have a pleasant effect; I saw it.

God be with you, Kevin, all the best, and if I can help in any way, let me know. I've got some GREAT stuff!!

Kevin Nerney 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Thanks for all the advice. The jury is still out as to whether or not I will partake. Just got back from the city (Denver) for the first round of radiation and chemo. 3 more weeks to go. Rhys--- sorry for your lose but hope you were about to cash in on that Mesothelioma windfall. My fathers second wife cashed in big time still gets checks 10 years after the fact and all I get is letters of notification that she got another check. But as they say that's a story for a different day.