Gary Reynolds: Rules need to be made

Dear editor,

I walk the Yampa River Core Trail almost every day and this week, just east of Mount Werner Circle, there has been a cow and calf moose hanging around on the other side of the river most of the week bothering no one.

Sunday morning when I was walking, a local sponsored hot air balloon dropped down within about 50 feet of the cow and calf so they could take pictures. This scared the moose and forced them to cross the river and then attempt to cross U.S. Highway 40. It took several attempts because of all the traffic.

Now they are in the neighborhoods where there could be conflicts. After last week’s separation of a cow elk and her calves, this puts them in the same position as the elk because of someone who comes to town once a year.

On my way back home, there was a balloon right in the middle of Routt County 14 blocking traffic. Does the permit for this event let them do whatever they want? I understand our town caters to the tourist, but at what price? There needs to be some rules on what these people can and can’t do, and harassing wildlife and landing on county roads should not be allowed!

Gary Reynolds

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Jenette Settle 2 months ago

Thanks for supporting the well being of our wildlife! It seems they hold last priority to everything these days.

Fred Duckels 2 months ago

Today our wildlife is but a shadow of what I remember when I was young. Foxes and marmots seem to be the exception. Raccoons seem to have appeared out of thin air and I don't know where the yuppies came from, maybe god is punishing us.

Michael Bird 2 months ago

When common sense and/or compassion disappear, we cry out for their enforcement but by whom ? More police ? Personal phone calls to those responsible ? What are your answers folks ?

Jeff Kibler 2 months ago

Balloon pilots have landed their tourist-filled baskets on streets in my neighborhood for years. Nothing I enjoy more than loud heaters hovering over my house at 6:30 on a Saturday morning. Thanks for the unsolicited wake-up calls!

Gary, FAA regulations already exist. I don't know if any Part 91 exemptions exist for balloons flying over and landing in "congested areas."

Here's the FAA regs I could dig up regarding balloons:

Part §91.119 Minimum safe altitudes: General. is worth a read.

If the offending pilots can justify their actions via Part 91, I would like to hear it.

John St Pierre 2 months ago

not sure you may have noticed but on any given morning there are ballons dropping down all over town.... last week... the parking lot of the horseshoe within feet of the highway,,, or the other one at the intersection of Tamarrac & Highpoint.... have often wondered how they allowed to drop anywhere.... guess we have to wat till a tragedy before something is done....

The wildife is featured almost every day in the paper... we push it as one of the attractions of Steamboat... but then thats as long as it is convienent to the humans... then get rid of them....

mark hartless 2 months ago

New this season: Ballon Hunting!! That'd be a hoot!

mark hartless 2 months ago

When I say ballon hunting it could work both ways...

Scott Wedel 2 months ago

Plant some tall trees. Or install windmills. That will stop them from landing near you.