Teen suspected in Hayden break-ins

photo

Michael D. Grubbs

— A game camera commonly used by hunters was used to help identify suspects in several break-ins in Hayden.

Michael D. Grubbs, 18, was arrested Thursday on suspicion of 11 felonies related to burglary and trespassing.

On Friday, his bond was set at $20,000 in Routt County Court.

According to an arrest affidavit filed in Routt County Court, a resident came to the Hayden Police Department on Thursday and said about $200 worth of alcohol was taken from a refrigerator on her front porch in the 700 block of East Washington Avenue on Monday. The resident also reported someone had broken into her car during the past six weeks and several dollars in change was taken.

The resident borrowed a game camera from a friend, and the camera was used to capture images of two males going through her refrigerator early Thursday morning. Police recognized one of the males, who was a juvenile. According to the arrest affidavit, police interviewed the juvenile, and the juvenile reported he and Grubbs were the males pictured in the game camera footage.

“Mr. Grubbs and (the juvenile) have been suspects in three other burglaries and eight vehicle trespasses, occurring over the past couple of months,” the affidavit states.

Grubbs told police he did not do whatever police were there to arrest him for, the affidavit states.

Grubbs was arrested on suspicion of eight counts of first-degree criminal trespassing and three counts of second-degree burglary.

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247, email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @SBTStensland

Comments

Scott Glynn 5 months, 1 week ago

Did anyone else catch the fact that the refrigerator was on the front porch?

Mary Davenport 5 months, 1 week ago

It does't matter if it is sitting on the front lawn, nobody has the right to steal from anybody!

Scott Wedel 5 months, 1 week ago

Appears to be a good way to catch the neighborhood thief.

Maybe it could become a new law enforcement program - Frigs on Porches Equals Thieves in Jails.

mark hartless 5 months, 1 week ago

A game camera??

Wonder if he had that "deer-in-the-heahlights" look when they busted him?? Sounds like these kids were running "buck-wild". Sorry, couldn't resist.

Keep your veggies in the porch fridge unlocked and keep your beer in fridge that's locked in the basement...?

Brian Kotowski 5 months, 1 week ago

Gets his mugshot taken wearing a wife beater. It's always entertaining when rednecks caricature themselves.

Michelle Hale 5 months, 1 week ago

This kid got me a few years back for 200.00. I hired him to take leafs. Went into my house for a moment to fine him gone. Truck door open and cash gone . In my garage a few months ago it happened again. All my change gone.

rhys jones 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I poached this forum because it's about thieves, the lowest form of life on this planet.

I address this to the scumbag who lifted my NorthFace Saturday night: You're toast. They had six cameras rolling where we were. We've got it all -- me walking in and hanging it up -- then you hurriedly walking up and snagging it -- hugging a girl on your way out -- then beating feet outside. The exterior camera shows a reasonable image of your face, and you look strikingly like my roommate. Then we ran out of time -- but there were six cameras recording. We'll find a good mug shot.

The cops are too busy to crawl through video looking for petty thieves -- but I'm not. I'll MAKE time for this. I'm going CSI on you, buddy. You ripped off the wrong dude, at the wrong place. I LOVED that jacket.

Your best move is to just take it back and say it was a mistake. Because when we identify you -- and somebody we know, knows you -- or I see you about town wearing my jacket -- you're going to jail, right then; I've got the proof in hand.

If you're a band groupie, from their home town -- we'll send your mug to their PD. You can't get away, you pond scum. I'm hunting you down.