Father and son arrested in Oak Creek after allegedly assaulting men with wooden boards during robbery

photo

Routt County Sheriff's Office

Glen Alan Shaffer Sr.

photo

Routt County Sheriff's Office

Glen Alan Shaffer Jr.

— A father and son were arrested Sunday night in Oak Creek after they allegedly assaulted two men with wooden boards while trying to rob them.

The Oak Creek Police Department and Routt County Sheriff's office deputies were called around 7:15 p.m. to a report of a burglary and assault in progress at a home on Nancy Crawford Boulevard.

According to the arrest affidavit filed in Routt County Court, when Oak Creek Police Chief Bobby Rauch arrived at the home at 7:24 p.m., he found two victims who reported that Glen Alan Shaffer, 54, and his son Glen Alan Shaffer Jr., 24, had forced their way into the house with boards and yelled “give us your money.”

The victim who lives at the home said Shaffer Jr. hit him in the face with the board numerous times.

The victim, who also suffered injuries to his arm and hands while trying to block the strikes from the board, was bleeding from his mouth and hands and was transported to Yampa Valley Medical Center for treatment.

The other victim reported Shaffer Sr. hit him with a board. According to the arrest affidavit, the second victim was able to run into a bathroom and lock himself inside as Shaffer Sr. continued to strike the door.

“During the attack, the Shaffers yelled at the victims stating they would kill them,” Rauch wrote in the arrest report.

The Shaffers, who live in Oak Creek, were located by police about an hour after the assault walking in the area of Sharp and Oak streets.

Sheriff's Office deputies assisted in the search.

The men both were arrested on suspicion of second degree burglary, second degree assault and menacing.

They were expected to appear in Routt County Court on Monday afternoon.

The victims told police the assault was preceded by Shaffer Sr. making “rude comments” to them earlier in the day.

"Oak Creek is a pretty quiet town. You hate seeing something like this happen," Rauch said.

To reach Scott Franz, call 970-871-4210, email scottfranz@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @ScottFranz10

Comments

rhys jones 7 months, 3 weeks ago

These individuals cannot exist peacefully in open society. Like father like son. Warehouse them. Different cell blocks. I met Glen Senior on one of my trips upstream (or down) and he is every bit the joy this article portends.

Brian Kotowski 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Central casting should keep the Shaffers in mind if there's ever a Deliverance remake.

Scott Wedel 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Rhys,

Glen Shaffer Sr is a clear example of what is disturbing about our criminal justice system. This guy was a one man crime spree in 2009 with stolen truck, car chase, felon in possession of many guns, and with the bonus charge of being a habitual felon. And yet he is released from jail to rack up another stack of felonies in 2014. Any of which is supposed to have a minimum 5 year sentence.

Any doubts that he will bounce in and out until he finally kills someone?

max huppert 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Should have had a Rottweiller in the house, they like to play with boards. Hey Scott, what size did they use? 2by4

Dana Shaffer 7 months, 3 weeks ago

That's great father and son bonding time my family has... And by the way my dad was released from prison, not jail in August of 2012. It was no minimum of 5 years, he was in there for 4 years I believe for the stolen truck case that occurred.

john bailey 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Dana , Glen was on the CAPS program and trying hard when I worked with him on a job. What happened ?

Bernard Gagne Jr 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I'll not defend these two in any way - both are obviously repeat offender, if not outright habitual offenders, and should be treated as such.

However, I'd like to remind everyone there are two sides to every story... Case in point: I was arrested on "hate crimes" that never happened - and my face was on the Front Page of the Pilot! A Sheriff' Deputy ( no offense to the rest of the Sheriff's outstanding department) fabricated a case in his own mind, believing a habitual liar, and coerced witnesses to support his case. An incompetent DA (Mr. Barkey) "rubber stamped" the case and I was henceforth arrested on fabricated charges. Granted, I was wrong to punch the jerk. But I never ever committed the crime I was charged with. The charges were appropriately dropped after considerable of expense and defamation of character on my behalf...

In the Shaffer case, I suspect these charges are warranted. However I'm interested in learning the other side of the story, if there is one.

Dana Shaffer 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Sadly I've only talked with him a couple times in the last 10 years. But I couldn't tell you, he must not have wanted to change. I think his main thing is his drug and alcohol addiction, if he would be able to get sober he would stay out of trouble. As far as Glen jr, he went through an at-risk youth program when he was 17 from getting in trouble as a juvenile and of course he fell back to his old ways too. For me being in college to become a drug and alcohol counselor and interning at a behavioral health facility, these two should get help on their addictions first before just getting thrown into jail and I bet they will have a better outcome of staying out of trouble. You wouldn't believe the kinds of things people will do for drugs without thinking about the consequences, unfortunately what had happened was one of those incidents.

Dana Shaffer 7 months, 3 weeks ago

And I am by no means standing up for them, they are big boys. The stupidity of their behavior blows my mind.

Scott Wedel 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Bernie,

A huge difference in your case was the basic facts of your punch was then followed by a conversation and an apology. It wasn't pursued as an assault or hate crime until a couple weeks later. And then somehow became a hate crime despite it being clear the victim did not notice the claimed hate at the time of the event.

The basic facts of this case is far different because there is no justification for hitting people in their house. Even if there was an earlier verbal dispute and slinging of insults then that is no defense for later hitting two people in their home.

john bailey 7 months, 3 weeks ago

come on Scott , its Oak Creek , I've a feeling the victims may not be all that innocent here. but , there are 2 side to every story , right ?

Scott Wedel 7 months, 3 weeks ago

John,

The victims may not be innocent, but the fight happened in the victim's house.

There could easily be another side to the story, but it is hard to see how it would affect the case. Even if the Shaffer Sr and Jr were somehow greatly wronged, that is no defense to the charges of attacking two people in their house.

Second degree burglary includes being in someone's house and not leaving when asked and committing any other crime. That looks to be an open and shut case.

Second degree assault is using a weapon to cause harm. With the victims having a bloody mouth and cuts on his hand then that is an open and shut case.

Even if Shaffer Jr and Sr claim this was the result of a drug deal gone bad, that isn't relevant for the assault and burglary charges.

john bailey 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Scott ,claims are made by the victims according to the article. not yet proven, perhaps they were getting their beat down in an on going battle that moved to the house . pure speculation of course. lots of weird stuff happens in the OC. its why we live here.....~;0) don't for get how they over charge round here....

bill schurman 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Scott, Again, two bits this not the "open and shut" case as you suggest. Also,your legal definitions are not quit accurate.

Dana Shaffer 7 months, 3 weeks ago

This was no drug deal gone bad. One of the victims and my dad, Glen sr. had previous run arounds with not liking each other to begin with and they both have had recent taunts with each other provoking a situation to happen. Glen jr has no relation with the victims, he was just a follower and was talked into doing it. Of course he would agree, like father like son right.

john bailey 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Dana, sorry for the troubles in the family , I wish things were better in your situation. I hope you are doing ok. pm if ya need to talk.

Scott Wedel 7 months, 3 weeks ago

John,

You present another scenario which is still an open and shut case. You need to think of a scenario in which the victims wanted to be hit in their house and didn't want Sr and Jr to leave.

Basically, Jr and Sr are left with saying they didn't hit anyone inside the house. I suppose they could claim the victims staged a fight in their house and then blamed it on Jr and Sr. Or that they were invited inside and then attacked and try for self defense.

Thus, very little of the case depends upon the victims having a sympathetic and consistent story.

john bailey 7 months, 3 weeks ago

sorry , Scott , I have no intention of going beyond what I proposed....shut your brain down , if just for a few minutes......its harmless , really ~;0)

max huppert 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Scott, your still have not said what kind of board was used? could have been ballsa. I got Oden on high alert with this current home evasion.

rhys jones 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I don't understand why only second degree burglary. I went berserk once, when the same guy beat up my sister again -- went over to his house, walked in and trashed his face -- and was initially charged with first degree burglary -- a felony. The definition, as I recall, was to 'enter a [building or dwelling] illegally with the intent of committing a crime' (single quotes as it is a paraphrase). I settled with the DA myself, on 3rd degree assault, a much more reasonable charge under the circumstances. $300 fine, no time. My brother was a deputy at Jeffco at the time; they handled me with kid gloves, in and out in a flash, no bond. "You can't take the law into your own hands" the Judge said.

It would appear all the elements are here for the more serious charge. We couldn't lock these boys up long enough. I know all I need to about Glen Sr.

Dana Shaffer 7 months, 3 weeks ago

This article includes bits and pieces of the story. So Rhys, I do not believe you do know all that you need to know about Glen Sr. -- Especially if you've only met him once and may have heard stories. And it sould be second degree assault because it was bodily injury, not "serious" bodily injury that would justify a first degree assault. Also it would include disfiguring a person or disabling them and the victims are not disabled. Also keep in mind "heat of passion" meaning it may have been provoked by the victims which could drop from a class 5 to class 3 felony. We all have our opinions but we will see what happens in court.

rhys jones 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Some might argue just waste 'em now, they obviously can't co-exist in a peaceful society, why support them for the rest of their long lives, at the taxpayer's great expense... as if we as a society have the right to decide, what is a mortal offense, and what is not...

I say put 'em away forever, right next to the mass murderers, they are of the same ilk, and more of a threat to society than a benefit. Make 'em learn needlepoint and make pretty sweaters, or study oncology and cure cancer -- just do it in a nice safe place.

They may win the little fight, but they have already lost the big one. Habitual losers.

And Dana, I lived with that man 24/7 for several weeks once. I know him. He's a bomb, ready to explode at any moment, and periodically does.

Dana Shaffer 7 months, 3 weeks ago

A 60 year old man is not going to learn when he's spent half his life in the system. And locking them away is not looking at the bigger picture and is not going to solve the problem. It is only a punishment technique when there are underlying issues that cause them to get in trouble and be habitual offenders. Obviously jail or prison time is not working, so yes wasting tax money but that's our judicial system for you. Its a lot cheaper to send them to a psychiatrist to see what's going on that causes them to want to drink and do drugs to be violent and desperate enough to want to go to someone's house, beat and rob them. We all know there is a reason behind it, no one just lashes out like that with no reason.

Scott Wedel 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Rhys,

Well, if the building being entered is a residence then burglary second degree is a class 3 felony just like first degree burglary. The legal difference is that first degree burglary requires assault or menacing while 2nd degree burglary can be met with just a property crime. First degree burglary does not require first degree assault.

Maybe a shorthanded DA's office decided to file easier to prove charges to get quicker plea deals.

john bailey 7 months, 3 weeks ago

once the victims names are released the story will be much clearer......have they been named yet ?

Dana Shaffer 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm not sure of the victims names yet, but my dad and brother have court today.

Mark Ruckman 7 months, 3 weeks ago

How many responders have a law degree and have / do practice criminal law?

Stating what the charges should or should not be is wasteful, since only a few really know the facts and have the legal knowledge to determine the charges.

Dana Shaffer 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Exactly Mark. And I already know what their being charged with after today, but its family business. People can go ahead a comment on what they think should or could happen. It can get quite amusing.

john bailey 7 months, 3 weeks ago

i'm not a lawyer but I play one on the Pilot Blog.hahahhahaha and the Holiday Inn kicked me out last night....~;0) good luck boys and Dana , best wishes for you. try hulainging it'll be good for you...LOL

rhys jones 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I'm sure Bill is getting quite a chuckle at all the self-styled experts in the matter, myself included. I'm just saying what should happen, under the conditions that currently exist. Dana is right, these guys need professional help, serious help at that, something the State is unlikely to provide. Easier to just lock 'em up for a while, hoping they learn the errors of their ways this time. Can't wait to see Senior again. I'll ask him.

Sunpie's wouldn't even let me in last night. Hula that!!

john bailey 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Sunpie's turning you away, now that's a serious issue.......they didn't throw your hula in the river did they ? and i'm sure Sr will have a story to tell......Glen , Glen , Glen.....