The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association offers options for those looking to quite smoking. The VNA has counseling available to help tobacco users of all ages to quit using cigarettes or smokeless tobacco. Quitting tobacco usually takes multiple attempts, but studies show cessation support can significantly improve a person’s chance for success. Counseling helps tobacco users set quit goals in a judgment-free environment. Participants also may receive support for weight management, nutrition, heart health and stress control. There is no fee for this service. It is available in English and Spanish. To be connected with a Cessation Counselor in Steamboat Springs or Craig, call 970-871-7634.
Other programs the VNA offer include:
• The Colorado QuitLine, which offers free personalized cessation phone support for smokers. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
• SmokefreeTXT program provides free personalized text message support. Text the word QUIT to IQUIT (47848).
4-day meditation course offered at Sundance Studio
Sundance Studio will be hosting a four-day meditation course with Shannon O’Bryan starting Jan. 30 through Feb. 1. The course on Jan. 30 and 31 will be held from 7 to 8:30 p.m. and the courses on Feb. 1 and 2 will be held from11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The cost for the four days is $275 or $250 early bird enrollment by Jan. 28.
In addition to the course, Sundance Studio also is hosting a introductory talk, which will be a one-hour lecture and Q-and-A session about Vedic meditation, a simple, effortless and highly beneficial practice that anyone can learn. The event is from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Jan. 27. Topics will include the technique’s origins, an overview of the mechanics of the practice itself, its benefits (including reduction of stress and an increase in energy and peace of mind), and how to learn.
For more information and to register, go to www.sundance-studio.com/workshop.
HPV vaccine offered through VNA
January is Cervical Health Awareness Month. Protect yourself or your family from cancers caused by HPV for just $21.50 for uninsured and underinsured individuals. The HPV vaccine is for ages 9 to 26 for males and females.
Call Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association in Craig at 970-824-8233 or in Steamboat Springs at 970-879-1632 to make an appointment.
Support groups to meet this week in Routt County
• A bereavement support group meets from 1 to 2 p.m. Monday at Rollingstone Respite House. The group is open to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. Call 970-871-7628 prior to attending your first meeting.
• A domestic violence support group for women is from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesdays at Advocates Building Peaceful Communities. Call Diane at 970-879-2034 before attending.
• A Caregiver Cancer Support Group is from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Sunday in the community room at Natural Grocers, 355 Lincoln Ave. For more information, call 970-846-4717.
• The Steamboat Meditation Recovery Group meetings Sundays at 5:30 p.m. at the Buddhist Center of Steamboat Springs, 2250 Copper Frontage Road, No. 202. The group will explore recovery through meditation, book study and all open discussion. Meetings are open to all faiths and addictions. For more information, call 720-670-8642.
Solandt Memorial Hospital provides health, well-being services
The Solandt Memorial Hospital aims to continually pay tribute to the memory of pioneer physician John Solandt by maintaining, preserving and using the community building in Hayden for health and well-being services that provide for the needs of the community.
Dr. Louise Thielen, of Steamboat Medical Group, is available from 9 a.m. to about 4 p.m. Tuesdays and from 9 a.m. to noon Fridays. Thielen can be reached at 970-276-4270 or 970-879-0203. Dr. Brian Harrington, of Yampa Valley Medical Associates, is available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesdays. Harrington can be reached at 970-276-4270 or 970-879-3327. Bear River Dental services are offered starting at 9 a.m. Mondays through Thursdays. Evening appointments are available by calling 970-276-3123. Mental health services are available through Jody Ginger, M.A., by calling 970-213-5418.