The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association is hosting a series of free information sessions to answer questions about the new health insurance marketplace, Connect for Health Colorado. A health coverage guide will attend the meetings for individuals, families and small-business owners interested in learning about their options for health insurance under new the legislation. The meeting dates are as follows:
• LIFT-UP of Routt County: 1 to 3 p.m. Monday
• Bud Werner Memorial Library: 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Friday
For more information, call 970-871-7647.
Natural Grocers to host cooking demo with Grady Turner
Natural Grocers will be hosting a cooking demo with Grady Turner on Jan. 20 called "Food Beginnings." The event will be held at 4:30 p.m. and is free for children ages 4 to 8, but children must be accompanied by their parents.
Natural Grocers is located at 335 Lincoln Ave.
HPV vaccine offered through VNA
January is Cervical Health Awareness Month. Protect yourself or your family from cancers caused by HPV for just $21.50 for uninsured and underinsured individuals. The HPV vaccine is for ages 9 to 26 for males and females.
Call Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association in Craig at 970-824-8233 or in Steamboat Springs at 970-879-1632 to make an appointment.
Support groups this week in Routt County
• A bereavement support group meets from 1 to 2 p.m. Monday at Rollingstone Respite House. The group is open to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. Call 970-871-7628 prior to attending your first meeting.
• A domestic violence support group for women is from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesdays at Advocates Building Peaceful Communities. Call Diane at 970-879-2034 before attending.
• A Heartbeat Suicide Survivor support group meeting is from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Yampa Valley Medical Center’s Integrated Health campus, 3001 S. Lincoln Ave. The group is for survivors to learn skills to help manage grief. Enroll by calling 970-846-8182.
• A depression, anxiety and bipolar support group meets from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in Conference Room 2 at Yampa Valley Medical Center, 1024 Central Park Drive. The group provides support, education and tools to help with everyday life. Family and friends are welcome. Call 970-819-6751 for more information.
• A Parkinson's care partners meeting for those who care for people with Parkinson's disease is from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Thursday. For the meeting location, contact 970-879-0518 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A cancer support group to help cancer patients deal with pain, nausea, fatigue and side effects is from noon to 1 p.m. Friday at the Integrative Health Center, 3001 S. Lincoln Ave., Suite A. For more information, call 970-846-4717.
Veterans health benefits through VA program is unchanged
Veterans who are enrolled in Department of Veterans Affairs health care programs — including the veterans health care program, the Civilian Health and Medical program or the spina bifida health care program — do not need to take additional steps to meet the Affordable Care Act coverage standards, according to a news release from the VA.
The new health care law will not change VA health benefits or out-of-pocket costs for those who are enrolled, according to the release. Veterans who are not enrolled in VA health care can apply at www.va.gov/healthbenefits or by calling 1-877-222-8387.
For more information, call Routt County Veterans Affairs Officer Michael Condie at 970-879-5489.
Yampa Valley Medical Center to celebrate heritage with book
Yampa Valley Medical Center will celebrate 100 years of hospital heritage with the publication of a history book in 2014, according to a news release. Christine McKelvie is researching and writing the book that will highlight 10 decades of medical care at the Steamboat Sanitarium, the Steamboat Hospital, Routt County Memorial Hospital and YVMC.
"Our hospitals have long been the heartbeat of the valley, and we owe much to the dedicated people who have provided a century of care to this community and region," McKelvie said in the release. "This book will tell their stories."
If you have an historic hospital photo or memory you would like to share, send an email to email@example.com or call 970-870-1119.