Russ Fasolino: Observe trail etiquette

Breaking a trail through deep powder is very difficult work.

Committed backcountry skiers and snowshoers gladly do this work for the benefit of all who follow. Walking in these trails destroys the trails, at least for skiers, and must be broken out again.

It only takes one inconsiderate walker to ruin the efforts of the “breakers” and enjoyment of all who follow. This has already occurred since the last snowstorm on both our popular Rabbit Ears trails and even at Dry Lake!

Please, use skis or snowshoes! All backcountry users will thank you!

Russ Fasolino

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Joey Bowman 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Really,so what's next? Are you going to ask people not to fart while on the trail in fear that it will knock the snow back in your trail!!

mark hartless 9 months, 2 weeks ago

"First they came for the snowmobilers, but I did not speak up because I was not a snowmobiler.

Then they came for the " inconsiderate walkers"...".

Apologies to M. Neimoler

Mike Kent 9 months, 2 weeks ago

Why is it so hard for some people to show a little consideration? Is it really that hard for you Joey and Mark?

Ben Tiffany 9 months, 1 week ago

Built any trails lately,Mark? Or just gone out of your way to ruin someone else's? Couldn't resist a chance to talk about the poor snowmobilers? I doubt you've walked anywhere in the backcountry in your whole life. Just like you to talk about something that you know nothing about;sure doesn't stop you from having a loud and angry opinion about it. When it comes to being "inconsiderate" you know all about that,don't you? What the heck,backcountry skiers are just a bunch of liberals anyway,so they must be wrong. Really,your ignorance is astounding. Don't you ever know when to shut up?

mark hartless 9 months, 1 week ago

Know when to shut up??? Guess not Ben.

I can't tell you how hard I'm laughing right now at your stipid assertion... having just walked 9 miles on foot TODAY in the wilderness... TODAY, Ben. Just got in a while ago.

I gained a total of 1,700 vertical feet while doing so. That's right wise ass... No motors, no gasoline.

I've also spent countless hours on trail maintenance over the years; trails that are open to backcountry skiers.

Mike,

I'm just observing that backcountry non-motorized users will, in my opinion, NEVER be satisfied. They kick out the sledders; still not happy. Kick out the snoshoers... bikers, etc, etc. In my opinion, selfish doesn't begin to describe many (not all) of these folks.

Mike Kent 9 months, 1 week ago

Mark, your story just doesn't add up. In between your 2 posts was less than 10 hours. Congratulations on your fine hike. You must be in really good shape. Would be curious where you went. Surely, as an avid outdoorsman, you have x-c skied. As such, you know that postholeing a ski trail ruins it for skiers. The kick wax on the skis have nothing left to grip. Even if you have never skied, you must be smart enough to realize this. If not, you are just ignorant. What I got out of Russ's letter was just asking for a little consideration.

Also, just where have the snowmobiles been "kicked out of'? The little postage stamp sized area near Dry Lake? Hogan Park Trail? Give me a break. These "closures" have never been respected. I appreciate your effort trailbuilding. Just curious, what trails, and what is their intended use? Are you OK with non-intended users trashing those trails?

Ben Tiffany 9 months, 1 week ago

Mark, For a guy who obviously does a ton of hiking (please),you still don't know much about trails or backcountry skiing. Perhaps you could mention where you pulled off this impressive feat of hiking? Did you use snowshoes or posthole your way up? You're always right,and you sure are impressed with yourself;we're the ones who are laughing.

mark hartless 9 months, 1 week ago

Mike,

I confess my ignorance of cros-country skiing as it never appealed to me. However, that wasn't my point.

I'm not sure I know what you mean by "non-intended users". I believe the area mentioned in the story is open to ALL non-motorized users... INCLUDING post-holing ones. Sucks for you, but...

The areas snowmobilers have been "kicked out of" amounts to about 17,000 acres on Rabbit Ears Pass and several MILLION acres of wilderness statewide. Meanwhile Non-motorized users have been kicked out of not one damned acre and still they are bitchin about sharing "their" area with EACH OTHER!

Although it was not always true, today I am in pretty good shape (since you mention it). I try to do the equivalent of about 1,700 vertical or more at least 5 days/week.

Today I hiked the West Rim Trail to Angels Landing, and continued on to the West Rim Spring. I did encounter quite a bit of snow and ice in the homestretch. I turned the entire trip around in less than 2-1/2 hrs.

You guys assumed I was speaking of hiking in Routt County and ya know what they say about assumptions...

Ben made the accusations and left the location open. You guys assume a lot. This time you were totally wrong. Pure coincidence that such an accusation was leveled at me on the exact day I proved it wrong.

Just FYI...I've been atop many of Colorado's 14'ers (and I didn't get there in a helicopter), skied over 36,000 feet in one day, paddled class 5 water, jumped off tower cranes, and, well... my credentials are no longer in question this evening 's-far as I am concerned. I'm no slave to the internal combustion engine. NOR am I a slave to political correctness.

I'll see ya'll back in snow country next week or so... wink, wink.

Ben Tiffany 9 months, 1 week ago

Oh,don't hurry back, Mark. Silly of me to make assumptions I guess. A pity that you can't ride your sled in the wilderness. Russ made a reasonable request and you sneered at him,indicating that you still don't understand the issue. I think you've made a few assumptions too.

brian ferguson 9 months, 1 week ago

I've often heard snowmobilers complaining about the trails on buffalo pass being ruined by other users. When the people that maintain the powerlines on the pass take their snowcat up, they sometimes leave very dangerous berms and ruts.

Most people want a nice trail, especially the folks who did all the work.

Joey Bowman 9 months, 1 week ago

Pretty funny how you all get so fired up.( LOL) Ben I have many times and i don't mind sharing the forest with others in any way shape or form. Enjoy your day,,,snow Dogs

Ben Tiffany 9 months, 1 week ago

Joey, Like you,I have broken trail many times. And no,I don't mind sharing the forest with all users. I do think a little consideration is helpful,and perhaps that would start with a little education. I think that's all that Russ was trying to do,and I thought your mocking him was a bit mean-spirited. (Mark has a way of firing people up;he sure brings out the worst in me.) I hope you have a fine day yourself.

mark hartless 9 months, 1 week ago

Mark is no professional, but he made you blink, hmmm.

How might a REAL manipulator/politician twist folks like yourself??? Pretty easily, I'd guess...

The average american is being played like a $2 fiddle and hasn't a clue that it's even happening...

Ben Tiffany 9 months, 1 week ago

What in the world are you talking about this time,Mark?

mark hartless 9 months, 1 week ago

Good evening Ben

Sorry, I strayed off topic.

I stand by my assertion that I believe the non-motorized crowd is extremely selfish. I think it is funny that they are now (and have been, just ask the USFS) fighting among themselves. I believe many of them (not all) are some of the most intolerant bunch anywhere.

Ben Tiffany 9 months, 1 week ago

Hello Mark, You are probably right in your assertion;I am very familiar with any number of non-motorized backcountry users,and we rarely can agree on much. We tend to be very protective of our own little favorite spots,and we rarely work together on any issue. That's probably why we lose most of the fights over backcountry access to much better organized motorized users. This is nothing new;your solidarity in these things is commendable,at least in a political sense. However,all of this discussion is at least somewhat off topic. Russ made a reasoned argument for consideration when it comes to use of skier-created trails,and then we all ended up sniping at each other over physical fitness,backcountry access and other tired subjects. It must have been amusing for other readers of this blog,trying to figure out what we were all worked up about. You yourself admitted to having very little familiarity with cross country or telemark skiing,as it does not interest you. Fair enough. For this reason,I would ask you to steer clear of this little petty fight amongst non-motorized users over an issue that for some reason some of us are rather passionate about. Laugh all you want;you have good reason to,but please don't introduce other issues into this discussion. That just sets us off on another tangent,solves nothing,and doesn't change anyone's mind about anything. (I hope you are having a nice vacation;sounds like you are.)

mark hartless 9 months, 1 week ago

Why thank you, Ben. Yes, it's very pleasant down here. Other than missing out on some sledding i'm feeling lucky to be out of snow-country for a while.

brian ferguson 8 months, 4 weeks ago

There are many different facets of trail etiquette A snowmobiler might pull to the side of a narrow trail to let hikers pass by. A snowshoer might move over and let a cross country skier by. But would a snowmobile ram into a skier to let them know they were there? Or a cross country skier just ski directly into the person in front of them, expecting them to know who is approaching? Of course if you are moving slowly, you should know people will be moving faster and it is your responsibility to yield to faster traffic.

But sometimes a faster user will approach suddenly and say "on your left" or "coming thru". No problem. Simply step to the side.

It seems though that some people haven't learned trail etiquette on certain trails in Steamboat. Some people seem to think that the proper way to pass a slower user(that didn't know you were there) is to ram into them. Just ski right into them. So rude. What were you people raised by? Gorillas? Monkeys?

I learned at a very young age to treat other people with respect. My parents beat it into me actually. I would never in a million years just ski into a person to get them to move. I am an adult, and I do my best to act like one. I would expect the same from other adults.

But not in Steamboat's side country. Hope for the best...but expect the worst.

brian ferguson 8 months, 4 weeks ago

...just leaving comments to get this story back in circulation

john bailey 8 months, 4 weeks ago

well said Brian, besides the cost of the ski hill, I am turned off by how rude people have gotten in the last few years knuckledraggers and 2plankers. it just puts a harsh on my mellow......jejeje..~;0) that and my neck got tired of being on a swivel.....