Natural Grocers will be hosting a cooking demo with Grady Turner on Jan. 20 called "Food Beginnings." The event will be held at 4:30 p.m. and is free for children ages 4 to 8, but children must be accompanied by their parents.
Natural Grocers is located at 335 Lincoln Ave.
Health insurance marketplace meetings scheduled
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association is hosting a series of free information sessions to answer questions about the new health insurance marketplace, Connect for Health Colorado. A health coverage guide will attend the meetings for individuals, families and small-business owners interested in learning about their options for health insurance under new the legislation. The meeting dates are as follows:
• LIFT-UP of Routt County: 1 to 3 p.m. Monday and Jan. 20
• Bud Werner Memorial Library: 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Jan. 17 and 24
• Yampa Valley Medical Center, Room 2 and 3: 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Monday
For more information, call 970-871-7647.
HPV vaccine offered through VNA
January is Cervical Health Awareness Month. Protect yourself or your family from cancers caused by HPV for just $21.50 for uninsured and underinsured individuals. The HPV vaccine is for ages 9 to 26 for males and females.
Call Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association in Craig at 970-824-8233 or in Steamboat Springs at 970-879-1632 to make an appointment.
Support groups this week in Routt County
• A bereavement support group meets from 1 to 2 p.m. Monday at Rollingstone Respite House. The group is open to anyone grieving the loss of a loved one. Call 970-871-7628 prior to attending your first meeting.
• A domestic violence support group for women is from noon to 1 p.m. Tuesdays at Advocates Building Peaceful Communities. Call Diane at 970-879-2034 before attending.
• A Heartbeat Suicide Survivor support group meeting is from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at Yampa Valley Medical Center’s Integrated Health campus, 3001 S. Lincoln Ave. The group is for survivors to learn skills to help manage grief. Enroll by calling 970-846-8182.
• A depression, anxiety and bipolar support group meets from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Wednesday in Conference Room 2 at Yampa Valley Medical Center, 1024 Central Park Drive. The group provides support, education and tools to help with everyday life. Family and friends are welcome. Call 970-819-6751 for more information.
• A Parkinson's care partners meeting for those who care for people with Parkinson's disease is from 4 to 5:30 p.m. Thursday (NOT DECEMBER). For the meeting location, contact 970-879-0518 or email@example.com.
• A cancer support group to help cancer patients deal with pain, nausea, fatigue and side effects is from noon to 1 p.m. Friday at the Integrative Health Center, 3001 S. Lincoln Ave., Suite A. For more information, call 970-846-4717.
VNA can help with quitting smoking
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association reminds young adult smokers that a free text message program is available to help them quit tobacco.
SmokefreeTXT is a free mobile service providing encouragement and tips to help young smokers quit for good. Quitting tobacco usually takes multiple attempts, but studies show support, including text message programs, can significantly improve a person’s chance for success
To sign up, text QUIT to IQUIT (47848) or go to www.smokefree.gov. The service is available in English and Spanish.
Dangers of secondhand and thirdhand smoke
The Northwest Colorado Visiting Nurse Association would like to remind readers that secondhand smoke and thirdhand smoke (tobacco residue in carpet, clothes, cars, etc.) can cause serious health problems in children, nonsmoking adults and pets, including cancer, heart disease and asthma. There are multiple support options to help smokers protect themselves and their loved ones from potentially fatal illnesses:
• The Colorado QuitLine offers free personalized cessation phone support for smokers. Call 1-800-QUIT-NOW.
• The SmokefreeTXT program provides free personalized text message support. Text the word “quit” to 47848.
• The VNA offers counseling with a tobacco cessation specialist in Steamboat Springs or Craig. There is no cost for the service. To speak with a counselor, call 970-871-7634.