Joe Mattingly: Still kid friendly?

My name is Joe and I live in Houston, Texas. Recently, I came across an article indicating that Steamboat had been granted nine marijuana dispensary licenses.

While Colorado politics is certainly none of my business, I thought that my thoughts might potentially be of interest to some people in Steamboat. I have three young children, ages 3, 5 and 6, and my family does a bit of traveling. Roughly, six months ago, I spoke to some friends with older children about kid-friendly ski destinations, as we had decided to take our kids for the first of what will likely be many ski vacations.  Throughout my life I have always skied in Vail, Beaver Creek, Utah and Lake Tahoe.  After discussing the various options, we settled on Steamboat.

My decision to take my family to Steamboat was based on the many kid-friendly aspects of the town. As a result of that decision, four other families with young children decided to go on the vacation with us for a total of eight adults and 12 kids younger than 7. During our trip, all 12 kids will be “enrolled” in the children’s daycare or, for those old enough ski school. On top of the $35,000 we are spending on accommodations, lift tickets, rentals, ski school, etc., we will be shopping at the grocery store, eating at restaurants, visiting coffee shops, hiring night baby sitters (if available), purchasing merchandise for the kids, etc.

This is a trip that we will all likely repeat next year, again in 2015, again in 2016 and again in 2017, with the same or similar groups of people as we are all comfortable around each other and each other’s kids. Each year, we will evaluate all of the feedback, and we will make a determination on the site for the next year’s trip.

For me, the presence of marijuana in public areas will be a major factor. Steamboat has a very strong reputation as a place to take kids amongst many here in Houston. An increase in the presence of marijuana in public places will impact that view.

I am around many young affluent people in Houston, and we often discuss the best ski destinations. Next year, the general conversation will almost assuredly include any noticeable changes in the pot situation.

Just thought some in Steamboat might be interested in my perspective.

Thanks.

Joe Mattingly

Houston, Texas

Comments

David Moore 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I think before submitting a letter to the editor, those doing so should read up on that is really going on.

First, and foremost, pot has always been in Steamboat, it's just legal now, just needed to get that fact right out on the table.

There are not 9 "pot shops" opening up, it has been regulated to three and they will not open at the same time. The other licenses are for growing operations and such. People cannot smoke it in public, meaning not on the gondola, not in ski time square and not at the bus stops. Even though people stand out on the street in front of a restaurant to smoke cigarettes (which I thought was against Colorado law), and which are more harmful than the pot smoke, you can't do that either. Also, you cannot do it in most hotels and the surrounding grounds of them. So no worries, the kiddies can swim in the pool without the "potheads" smoking on the side of the pool.

With all of that, it does happen anyway, even before legalization people smoked on the gondola, however, If you see a violation, report it, it's that simple. The only thing that has changed is that it is legal, a formality, a signature on a piece of paper, the exposure to it won't. Like I said, it has always been here.

I live west of Steamboat and I have a teenage daughter. I have always, and will always, bring her and her friends to Steamboat to play, eat and have fun, I have never been threatened by something that has always been there and neither should you.

Just thought those in Houston might be interested in the real story.

Rick Pighini 11 months, 2 weeks ago

MJ is already available in every town in America. As the good parent that you seem to be I believe that you can educate your children on all of societies vises and teach your children to make good choices. If your not having a problem with MJ and your children at home you probably won't here either. Having a open and honest discussion about MJ is easier in a area where it is legal and regulated. This might be a great time to bring it up and have that discussion.

christopher dreher 11 months, 2 weeks ago

why do we care what a tourist from TX thinks? He doesn't vote in our elections....so.......maybe stay home next year for music fest!

Fred Duckels 11 months, 2 weeks ago

The out of state folks that I talk to all indicate that Colorado is a laughing stock in their environment. There is a definite stigma attached here, also consider many new buyers don't want to be identified, why?

john bailey 11 months, 2 weeks ago

god forbid we have one of the little ones growing up to be a drunk bikini wearing exposer running down the hotel halls whilst their friends video it all. nooo , wouldn't want that ~;0) hey ya''l need a HULA ?

Fred Duckels 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Joe I think that you are being told to take your money and go elsewhere.

cindy constantine 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I guess we can assume that he "did not inhale" as a business student in college . . . . . . . .

Kevin Chapman 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Joe the sky is not falling. I would bet both arms you will not see any change in your vacation environment so come and enjoy. We are a tourist town and value your patronage. The other thing you have to wrap your head around is that this is a democracy and Amendment 64 was heavily voted in favor of in Routt county and in the state of Colorado as well. You are from Houston, Texas. This is a very conservative state and I can understand as i am from South Carolina, also a very "red" state. These issues have been so suppressed in these areas for so long that our parents likely taught us that weed is "the devil". Relax and back away from the dramatics. When all is said and done if you don't have a good vacation on your next visit you will likely go elsewhere. That is your right. Come back and try your best not to carry a hyper aware sense of marijuana as this will skew your opinion. Approach it with the same mentality you have previously ("let's go rock some ski runs- adults only - and have a cold beer afterwards to reflect on the sweet turns we got in today") and i am sure you will have a great time.

Phoebe Hackman 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Thanks, Mr. Mattingly, but, no, I'm not really interested in your perspective. Clearly, you are uninformed on the subject, so your perspective has no value. And since the state of Colorado certainly doesn't want to lose any revenue from you and your affluent friends, please continue to visit Vail, etc. I understand the drugs of choice there are cocaine and prescription drugs.....no odor! And, unless you're really paying attention, you won't even notice when these drugs are done in public!! It's a win-win for Texas and Colorado!! Peace out.

cindy constantine 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Mark---this is not a Steamboat issue--this is a state issue so perhaps this will affect Joe's plan to visit any Colo location. What I find ironic is the letter is from a Texan---a state that prides itself on thumbing their collective noses at all things federal govt . . . .

Scott Wedel 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Based upon the popularity of retail mj shops so far, it looks like the question will be whether SB will have enough mj shops to satisfy tourists. Are we going to be losing tourists to Breckenridge and other towns with more easy to find mj stores?

Phoebe Hackman 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I'm not angry, Mark. Just disappointed. It's the slightly veiled threat of "I'm going to take my ball and go home if you don't play my way AND I'm going to tell all my friends not to like you, too!" method he chose to express his opinion. He read, but did not comprehend an article somewhere, then shot off a letter to The Pilot in a knee-jerk reaction.

I'm annoyed.

Ken Collins 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Joe, I lived in Texas for 8 years. Very friendly folks. I think you'll find the same is true here. It's true that MJ is legal ALL over Co. It's also true you'll probably never see it, while here, in any situation you might not have seen it before legalization or for the matter, anywhere else in whatever state you would ski. Pretty darn sure the kids won't see it in daycare or ski school. Come on with your whole gang and enjoy some of the best snow in America. If Steamboat does not treat you folks great, you will certainly be free to let us know and go else where next time. I'm confidant that won't happen. ps. Long ago in Texas, I actually sampled some of the best MJ I ever experienced. Thank you Texas.

Joe Solomon 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow, I have to agree with Mark on this one. Joe is simply expressing his concern as I am sure alot of families are at this point. I spend alot of time on the road and this issue has been hyped beyond belief by the media - I can absolutely see where he is coming from, and why is everyone so quick to tell him to take his money elsewhere? As alot of people are pointing out to him, it has always been here but is rarely if ever seen by most visitors - but the media is now painting (and showing) this picture of folks lining up around the block to get it while conveniently forgetting to mention that you STILL can't smoke it in most places. Yes, his family's chances of an having any issue with MMJ aren't any greater than before (much slimmer than random drunk guys streaking down hotel hallways) but let's give some leeway on this topic. If you want to blame anyone, blame the media for blowing this out of proportion and let's try and educate and ease visitors into this "new world" - my guess is that the "go find another place to visit then" wouldn't sit well with our friends who rely on visitor dollars. If Joe was considering another town besides Steamboat, then this reaction to his opinion probably made the decision easy for him. My two cents.

bill schurman 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Is Joe's letter for real or just a put on ?? If real, then may I suggest Utah for your next "vacation". However, it may surprise you to know that even in Utah marijuana is readily available. The times are a changin'.

cindy constantine 11 months, 2 weeks ago

" mama don't let your babies grow up to be cowboys----let them be doctors and lawyers and such...."

Tim Keenan 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Actually, I thought this was a mildly written letter expressing his priorities when it comes to a "kid-friendly" resort town. I agree that "legal pot" has been totally blown out of proportion by the media, who are salivating over any potential controversy. The itemization of his spending may not have been necessary to get his point across, but like it or not, his thought process is probably shared by many potential visitors, and as a tourist town, that has to matter to us. Hopefully, Joe will be disabused of his apprehensions once he gets to Steamboat. That said, Phoebe, that was hilarious.

Dan Kuechenmeister 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Wow, a lot of "righteous anger" from the locals. Best I can tell tourism is important to the economic viability of this community. The good news is that it appears tourists are treated better in town and on the mountain then Joe was in this forum. Y'all can tell Joe to take his money and go. Y'all better hope the tourists don't. Joe, thanks for taking the time to voice your opinion. Keep on coming to Steamboat. I think you and your family will continue to have a great time.

Madison Slater 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I'll agree with John on this one folks. Let a Texan drink too many beers, they may be indecently strutting down a FAMILY hotel in nothing but a leopard print speedo whilst dropping...thong?...every now and then while....flaunting?....their junk to their equally as disturbed friends filming this freak moment. The children of this world must be saved from these inhibitors of a progressive society.

...Let a Texan smoke too many bowls, and suddenly they are whipping up a mouth-watering Texas homestyle BBQ!! YEE-HAW!!

I'd prefer the latter. Thanks

Scott Wedel 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Tourism is important, but few locals like being told by a tourist how we should change to better match the preferences of the tourist.

john bailey 11 months, 2 weeks ago

that's Disneyland bro , not Steamboat , you come to Steamboat for what it is , not what they want it to be. I need to wash my truck , hum ...

Anne Volk 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Joe, while you are shielding your children from reality, please consider not taking them to the supermarket where beer and wine is sold a couple of aisles away from Quaker Oats, ice cream and whole wheat bread. Also, study the Mayan civilization (early mathematicians who smoked weed) with your kids so your family will understand MJ has been around since the dawn of civilization and it is not going away any time soon. Your letter focused on SBS as a vacation destination and visitors (such as myself) take things places have to offer into consideration when traveling with children. Winter Carnival, skijoring, cross country skiing, downhill, dancing, music are fun while instilling a lifelong passion for learning, outdoor sports and a genuine love of life. If you can find somewhere else that has as much going on for it than SBS with completely sober adult visitors, go for it and let me know.

mark hartless 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Replace the word "pot" in this discussion with the word "firearms" or "guns" or "gas-guzzling SUV's" or "snowmobiles" or "coal-fired", etc ... and see how many of these folks would be standing to defend it...

Joe's concerns are valid, just as many of these folks concerns might be if it was 3 or 4 new machine-gun stores opening in the area...

Gaylan Hellyer 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Regardless of where Joe is from, he is an out of state visitor who would like to know that his continued enjoyment of Steamboat as a kid friendly town will remain as these new laws take affect. The MusicFest crowd is different from Joe and other families. Take the same age group and add booze/dope you will get the same behavior no matter where they are. So.... For those who are stoked about the new laws, great; but understand that not everyone shares your enthusiasm. It's one thing to raise kids in a ski town knowing there is an abundance of drug use but it's another when it's front page news and topic of conversation across the nation.
I agree with Mark H., I'd love to see what would happen if a few new gun retailers opened shop in town along with a firearms manufacturer. For those singing the praises about the shops bringing "tourist dollars" to town keep in mind that in the long run the family SKI DOLLAR will still be spread further, benefit more people throughout town, and most likely carry more weight. It's not about shielding his kids from the rest of the world but more an issue of the overall environment of Steamboat and how it will evolve from here. I agree that Steamboat is a family friendly community no matter if you're a resident or a visitor but with MMJ and now the recreational sales permitted it has brought it to the forefront and there is a point when you want kids to be able to be kids. Please leave this guy alone for expressing his concerns because it doesn't matter if you smoke or not, not everyone has to be or is "stoked" about the new laws.

Joey Bowman 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Congratulates Joe,

You just received your 30th comment. We just hope people who use pot are smarter than the drunks. Steamboat will not change and let's hope the tax dollars rack up for the schools.

Kevin Nerney 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Joe, where you gonna take your kids when the other 48 states climb on board this cash cow and legalize this stuff. I'm not a fan of it but that seems to be the next wave of the future so what can be done? Just wish I bought some penny stocks in the weed business. Grow Green(?) is up 6 thousand percent in two days.

Gaylan Hellyer 11 months, 2 weeks ago

For David and the first comment: From 7 News. DENVER - For the first time, Colorado has issued retail marijuana licenses. The documents were mailed Monday to 348 businesses.

Licenses were sent to 136 stores, 178 cultivation facilities, 31 product manufacturing facilities and 3 testing facilities, the Colorado Department of Revenue's Marijuana Enforcement Division reports. The vast majority of all licensed facilities, a total of 270, are located within the City and County of Denver. The next highest concentration of licensed facilities is in Steamboat Springs, which has nine. ............ http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/local-news/marijuana/colorado-issues-348-retail-marijuana-licenses-for-stores-cultivation-manufacturing-and-testing

Robert Huron 11 months, 2 weeks ago

I lived in Texas for 30 years and you have a greater chance of being hurt or killed by a drunk driver or shot than almost any other state. Drugs are all over the schools and easily gotten by all ages. If that is kid friendly you can have it. Prohibition did not work in the 30's and our stupid drug laws have never worked. Remember our last 3 Presidents indulged in Pot and one also did cocaine. It all should be legalized, taxed and controlled. Once that is done drug usage and drug crime will be greatly reduced just like Amsterdam. The Drug War has been a total failure for many decades like many of our other wars..

Fred Duckels 11 months, 2 weeks ago

It appears that the customer is not always right.

Dan Kuechenmeister 11 months, 2 weeks ago

Robert says regards drugs "it all should be legalized, taxed and controlled." That may or may not be the solution and I am not smart enough to know and willing to admit it. Alcohol is legalized, taxed and controlled and Bill Schurman reminds us pretty much every day how that is working for us in Steamboat. And as Robert says in Texas "you have a greater chance of being hurt or killed by a drunk driver or shot than almost any other state". So not sure the legalized, taxed controlled thing is necessarily the answer. Also please remember, while our last three presidents have admitted to trying marijuana one of them didn't inhale. WINK

Steve Lewis 11 months, 2 weeks ago

In defense of Texans…

Way back in the day, I held several jobs shuttling and serving our tourists. Thought of myself as a local and them as my paycheck. That changed when 6 Texans invited me skiing. It seemed like at any given moment 2 of them were upside down. It was pure carnage. At the end of the day I just couldn't remember having that much fun or sharing bigger smiles with my homies.

It took a few Texans to define my own home for me - the most fun place on earth. I no longer care where people are from. The bigger your smile, the more you belong in Steamboat.

I'm not worried about Joe. He'll be back.

Kat Kelly 11 months, 1 week ago

Joe, I am a native Houstonian that moved to Steamboat Springs Memorial Day 2007 to have a safer and healthier place to raise my teenagers than Houston. It has been the best decision I have ever made for my kids. There is nowhere in the world you can go where there will not be some form of alcohol or drug use, and whether or not it is legal will not deter those that use and/or abuse will be in public. I am also an employee of the City of Steamboat Springs and have been very impressed at how our local government has taken the legalization of MJ to a very professional level. Just simply think of this era like the Prohibition Era of the 1920's & 1930's. I grew up in Houston and lived there as an adult until I moved to Steamboat in 2007, and believe me Houston has a much more dangerous, drug and crime infested atmosphere than Steamboat, every time we go visit we have to have a family talk on safety regarding gangs, and just the criminal aspect of driving and walking in the City, I sincerely hope you will come to Steamboat and see why we all love living here, even if we have to have multiple jobs to do so.

steve randall 11 months, 1 week ago

Joe, Lived in Houston for 32 years....bought our retirement place in Steamboat for the warmth of the people, hometown feel and wonderful outdoor activities. Maybe legal weed keeps a few close minded people away and makes our town an even better. Enjoy Surfside next Spring Break.

cindy constantine 11 months, 1 week ago

Great link, Phoebe!! Thanks for sharing and even though my roots are in Texas along with many of the other posters, I believe Joe's point of view DOES NOT speak for the majority of Texans, being the "live and let live" kind of folk that are Texans. Now that MJ is legal it has become an addition to my 84 year old Dad's bucket list.

mark hartless 11 months, 1 week ago

He lets its legality determine whether or not it is on his list?

cindy constantine 11 months ago

Hey Joe,

Let us know how the families liked their visit to Steamboat. Wasn't it the friendliest ski resort you have ever visited despite the Colorado voters and their wishes? Won't the Super "Bowl" be great this year. Go Broncos!!