Ken Collins: A truly American ad

Somewhere, during what was, to a lot of us Coloradans, the worst Super Bowl ever, was one of the best ads ever.

Coca-Cola’s “It’s Beautiful” was an ad that silenced the room as soon as it started. That song always does. You didn’t know whose ad it was, and it didn’t matter. To hear one of the most beautiful songs ever written, sung in so many languages, was a true tribute to the greatness of this country.

Don’t forget, we are all, except the Native American Indians, immigrants. A lot of languages came ashore during the nearly 500 years of our history. For some, it took a long time to learn English, since it was not the “official” language anyway.

Even today, in every large city in America, there are pockets of the “old world.” That’s OK. We’re America (an Italian derivation name, by the way). A melting pot.

Read the words on Lady Liberty’s base. There was even a few seconds of a gay couple with their daughter ice skating. Don’t forget, Katherine Bates, the poem’s/song’s author lived with a female friend for 25 years in Boston and Colorado, the Pikes Peak area, the inspiration for the words.

There are those who are outraged for the diversity of the languages. “Sing it in English,” they say. Maybe they should learn a second language themselves.

What is more of an American symbol around the world than a can of Coke? Some say they will never drink another Coke. Fine. Coca-Cola won’t miss you.

So, thank you Coca-Cola for an ad that made me feel proud to be an American. And for bringing one bright spot to a very unbright evening.

Ken Collins

Stagecoach

Comments

John St Pierre 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Hats off Ken... what other symbol reminds one of America than Coke.... from Normandy to the Pacific, Jungles of Vietnam to the desert of Iraq.... before the fall of the soviet Union and even Mao's china... Coke was there..... I would even suspect in the caves of the Taliban.... coke is there........ Diversity??? well I guess those who complain forget its made and bottled in almost every corner of the world and the name is COKE!!!!! by the way I wish more places served it here and that our local distributor steeped up more to provide better service....

Kevin Nerney 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I wish the powers that be would make English the official national language.

Ben Tiffany 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Coca Cola is poison,no matter how cleverly or beautifully they advertise it.

john bailey 2 months, 2 weeks ago

greatest ploy ever for world domination, poison em and the world is ours.......(insert eye roll here )

Ken Collins 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Ben, I agree that it is not a good thing to drink. It is a symbol of America. My point is that the ad is a good one up to the point of the product.

john bailey 2 months, 2 weeks ago

thanks Ben , but I do prefer 7-up......just as deadly......

rhys jones 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I LOVE Coke, but in moderation (as with everything) as it is the carbonic acid that's not good for you, forget the sugar and caffeine.

Coke paid my fare for a few years, as I drove a full-service route truck, filling vending machines and servicing small restaurants, first around Stapleton, later Boulder. I could pound a dozen Mr. Pibb's on a hot day, with no apparent ill effect.

And by the way, "Native Americans" are immigrants too; they walked here over the Bering Strait when it was solid land. I like to tell 'em, they're not even real Indians.

To quote PJ O'Rourke: Nothing beats Communism like a Quarter Pounder.

john bailey 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Rhys , so you were a Coke pusher, damn , your horrible.......~;0) did my fav barkeep say hi the other day ?~;0)

Ben Tiffany 2 months, 2 weeks ago

That guy,Rhys; is there anything he hasn't done or tried? Sure helps to keep this blog interesting. (In coke,I worry more about the high fructose corn syrup;hard to get away from that stuff.)