2014 Sailors volleyball schedule
- Aug. 29: Steamboat goes 2-0 in volleyball tournament
- Aug. 30:
Sailors volleyball perfect in Glenwood tourney, capture championship
- Sept. 4: Steamboat 3, Moffat County 0
- Sept. 11: Steamboat 3, Summit 0
- Sept. 13: Steamboat 3, Rifle 0
- Sept. 18: Steamboat 3, Eagle Valley 2
- Sept. 20: at Glenwood Springs, 1 p.m.
- Sept. 26: Steamboat 3, Palisade 1
- Sept. 27: Steamboat 3, Delta 0
- Oct. 2: at Battle Mountain, 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 4: Montrose 3, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 7: Steamboat 3, Glenwood Springs 0
- Oct. 9: vs. Summit, 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 11: vs. Eagle Valley, 1 p.m.
- Oct. 14: Steamboat 3, Battle Mountain 1
- Oct. 16: Steamboat 3, Moffat County 1
- Oct. 21: vs. Rifle, 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 24: at Palisade, 6:30 p.m.
- Oct. 25: at Delta, 6:30 p.m.
Steamboat Springs It wasn't the start Wendy Hall and the Steamboat Springs High School volleyball team was looking for.
Playing Friday in the first day of a two-day tournament at Glenwood Springs, the Sailors were shaky, nervous and out of sorts in their season-opening match against Rifle.
That didn't last, however.
Steamboat put itself together, then stormed two victories in both of Friday's matches, beating Rifle 25-13, 25-12, then Erie, 23-25, 25-13, 15-11.
"I'm really pleased," Hall said. "We're showing some really great signs. We just needed some time. I'm really happy with what I saw today."
The tournament features 12 teams divided into four three-team divisions. At 2-0, Steamboat won its division, of course, but with an overall 4-1 set record, it was seeded fourth for Saturday's play.
It will play the overall No. 5 seed, Grand Valley. The winner will face the weekend's No. 1 seed, Lutheran.
"It could be a really fun day," Hall said. "There are more competitive teams in the tournament this year, and that's good."
Steamboat showed Friday it was capable of swinging with those teams.
It only struggled in its first game against Erie, letting a few tips hit the floor and failing to put up strong blocks.
"We made some nice adjustments in those areas and we handled them pretty good in the second game," Hall said. "We same a really good, competitive atmosphere on the team. Other than those first few points against Rifle, I was really happy with how they competed."