Jack Horner: Core trail is for bikers

As the manager of a small business on west U.S. Highway 40, I can say from experience, traffic has always been a thorny issue. Now, with the new construction, it is stop and go, bumper to bumper in both directions. This creates waits and problems for all drivers, especially individuals merging into traffic with trucks and trailers. It is an inconvenience we must accept.

However, there is another issue that is confusing and irritating. We have spent many, many taxpayer dollars building a bike path running from Shield Drive to east of downtown. This bike path is one-half to one block away from U.S. 40. Why must we accept verbal and visual abuse from bicyclists because we are in our vehicle on the shoulder of U.S. 40 trying to merge into traffic.

Go ride on the bike path. That is what we built it for. It is dangerous enough just trying to merge into traffic without having to deal with these riders and their rude, privileged attitudes. Sure does cause the blood pressure to rise.

Jack Horner

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Pat West 1 month, 3 weeks ago

If your blood pressure is rising, maybe try riding a bike.

Jay Willson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Jack I think the reason many cyclists stick to Lincoln Ave or River Rd is because the core trail is often congested with tubers, hikers, runners, dog walkers, fishermen and even the occasional hot air balloon... especially on weekends. It's unsafe to ride a road bike at speeds of 20-25 mph on the core trail. With regards to your comment about cyclists and their rude, priviliged attitudes... a bit of an overgeneralization wouldnt you agree?

mark hartless 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Ya ever notice that you rarely see a road biker smiling. Mtn bikers I often see smiling as they ride. Road bikers...? Almost never...

Robin Craigen 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Smiling inanely as you ride along is a great idea - I suggest that some motorists try doing this too - no generalization intended here as I sure that some have need of this more than others, but this could help Jack simmer down.

The downside to the smiling while road biking is that after 20 miles or so the jaw muscles start to tighten and the smile then starts to loose some of it's "happiness". There is always the risk that this could then be interpreted as a snarl, provoking yet more silly letters to the editor. Further more extended periods of smiling necessitates riding with a toothpick to remove flies and grasshoppers that fly up at you with only your teeth to save you from inhaling.

As to the general complaint about the traffic situation here just travel to any major populated area in the world and you will realize how good we have it here for most of the year. Some people, such as the author of this letter, grossly overstate the inconvenience of driving across town, ignoring the opportunity to be part of the solution (by biking) instead of begrudgingly remaining part of the problem and taking out their daily frustrations on one or two individuals on bikes who may not be smiling at them (see above for reasons why).

I personally recommend that everyone try biking a little more often, smiling (not continuously but spontaneously at any opportunity) and thinking about better uses of their time than whining about things they can help improve by tolerance, listening to music or cutting back on the caffeine.

Just sayin'...

Ulrich Salzgeber 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Sorry but I have to agree with Jack. The biggest issue is that the vast majority of bike riders do not adhere to the rules of traffic. They disregard traffic lights and stop signs, ride in the opposite direction of traffic, do not use signals, cut through parking lots,do not have adequate lighting at night and dart in and out of traffic whenever it is convenient for them. It is true that on the core trail they may have to be a little more observant of pedestrians, dog walkers, tubers and fishermen but they need to be respectful of those equally qualified users. Just as they should be respectful of the rules of the road. Robin, I would love to have the ability to ride my bike more to and from work. However when a client walks into our office and wants to go view a property now it is not convenient to strap him and his family to the handlebars and ride up to Storm Meadows. I am certainly not against bike riders but they need to have and show more respect for the rules of traffic as well as other modes of transportation.

Jenette Settle 1 month, 3 weeks ago

“Vast majority of bike riders do not adhere to the rules of traffic’? Are you kidding?!? Mr. Slazgeber, I challenge you to a ‘bike off’. You ride 5 miles per day, through town, for one week and count the number of cars and bikes who disobey the laws, and/or put your well-being in jeopardy. I”ll drive my car 5 miles per day, through town for one week and count the number of cars and bikes who disrespect the laws and put my well-being in jeopardy. We can compare our numbers at the end of a week. I think you will be surprised at how many cars you will notice who could show more respect for the rules of traffic as well as other modes of transportation, and at how many cyclists you will encounter who are really very nice, law-abiding citizens.

Clay Ogden 1 month, 3 weeks ago

My completely unscientific observation is we have lots of riders and drivers (regardless of the mix of offenders) ignoring the world and rules around them ... creating problems ... sometimes really dangerous ones. Personally I think the problems are ambiguous traffic rules in Steamboat (Boulder has made some real strides in defining, publishing and enforcing driver/rider rules), poor signage, and callous disregard for the consequences of not obeying the law ... this last point, I think, is because there just isn't nearly enough enforcement.

As a rider and driver I have to admit I'm astonished at the position some riders put themselves in ... leaving rules behind for a moment ... there's not much doubt who looses in a bike/car/truck collision so I find myself riding pretty defensively.

Jeff Kibler 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Yep, the loser in collisions is the cyclist. The 2 things that get my cortisol crazy are:
1. Drivers/riders not using turn indicators/hand signals.
2. Pulling out in front of me from a side street so that I have to slam on my brakes to avoid tail-ending the offending driver/rider.

mark hartless 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Robin put her finger on it when she said "be part of the solution (by biking)".

Boy, if cyclists believe anything, it's that THEY are "part of the solution". In fact I expect many of them believe that they are THE solution... to what I have no idea.

You guys just keep on turning your back to 65mph traffic, peddling in the snow and saving the world.

Just try to smile more. Saving the world is fun!!!

Pat West 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I think Mark is challenging for top troll. You go girl!

rhys jones 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I am composing this response in apology to my legions of fans, some of whom have gone out of their way to introduce themselves, one of whom even put me to work, all of whom I met through these forums. Most are amused by these forums, but few contribute, lest they be ridiculed by the regular trolls. Or maybe they believe some off-center things like I do.

It used to happen most during off-season, when I had little to do, less money, and virtually no life -- that's when I'd babysit these forums, poaching as necessary, getting all involved...

I'm sorry, but I'm just too busy for that these days. Shit, this'll cost me $3 on the clock, but I'm trolling now, just for a second. And all I can say is, if you have no other obligations, and nothing better to do, assuming you could afford it if you did, than to bury yourself in here -- congratulations -- and condolences!!

Phoebe Hackman 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I just want to know who's at fault when I squish one of them between my moving car and the parked cars they like to squeeze between? Just in case ...

Scott Wedel 1 month, 3 weeks ago

You are because it was unsafe to pass.

Cars vs cyclists is a perfect troll topic because both sides respond.

Lee Cox 1 month, 3 weeks ago

How about everybody just chill while driving, riding, whatever. Why is everyone always in such a hurry? Bikes have every right to be on any road. However, Lincoln Avenue is not recommended between 3rd and 13th streets. Bikes DO NOT belong on the sidewalks of Lincoln Ave. In order to get respect, one has to earn it, by using signals and obeying other laws. I am referring to both bikers and drivers, of which I am both. Regarding the Core Trail, there are times when it is not practical for bikers. My "pet" peeve are the extend-a-leashes. The leash law cites a 6 foot leash, and a friend of mine was injured when he got "clotheslined" by one of those leashes.

Kevin Chapman 1 month, 2 weeks ago

Is the shoulder REALLY supposed to be used for merging? All drivers don't obey the rules of the road, so how could you expect to have every biker (insert generalization comment here) to do this? What really needs to be acknowledged is that a car can threaten the life of a cyclist. Be patient man, cyclists have a right to be on the road. Know the laws of right of way and be respectful of them, otherwise you are just being selfish, kind of like Phoebe. The law states you have to give cyclists a 3 foot buffer. So you are going to run into someone because they are going 22 and not 27mph. That 5 mph is going to give you a lot of heartache and headache if you ever hit someone in this scenario.