What could go where Staples is leaving?

— When Loui Antonucci put on his thinking cap this past weekend about what could take over his commercial space once Staples leaves, Trader Joe’s came to mind.

Reader poll

Staples will close its doors May 17. What kind of business would you like to see in that space?

• Home furnishing 14%
  • Entertainment 23%
  • Grocer 25%
  • Apparel 30%
  • Fitness 8%

212 total votes.

That’s not to say there’s even an inkling at this point that the grocer would consider Steamboat, but it’s an interesting prospect.

Staples will close its doors in Steamboat Springs on May 17.

It will have about another three weeks of packing to do before it’s entirely moved out, but by mid-June, the commercial real estate at Pine Grove Road and Mid Valley Drive will be empty and in need of a tenant.

It offers about 15,300 square feet of space with on-site parking and convenient access right off U.S. Highway 40. Antonucci said splitting up the space is an option, but its size also places it in a range with few counterparts. City ordinances now require any proposed commercial spaces larger than 12,000 square feet to go through the planned unit development process to create a custom zone district.

It’s far too early to say with any certainty what might fill the space, but it’s always nice to dream.

We’d love to see a local business seize the opportunity and grow into the space, but we don’t want to single one out. So we’ll look at national brands.

Based on a retailer and restaurant expansion guide from 2013, there are a number of different businesses that are adding locations across the nation.

The guide lists the typical minimum and maximum square feet the business occupies and some notes about its preferred expansion characteristics.

With hundreds of brands and chains on the list, the possibilities can appear endless, but considerations such as existing supply chains, the size of our local population and our spending habits are just a few of the challenges to any potential business looking to move in.

Taking all that into consideration, here are a few of the more interesting possibilities:

• Trader Joe’s* (grocer): 8,000 to 12,000 square feet

• Sprouts* (grocer): average 27,500 square feet

• Old Navy (apparel): 15,000 to 19,000 square feet

• Aldi (grocer): 10,000 to 18,000 square feet

• Alamo Drafthouse (entertainment): 20,000 to 40,000 square feet

• Pier 1 Imports (home furnishings): 9,000 to 10,000 square feet

• Ethan Allen (home furnishings): 10,000 to 15,000 square feet

• Crate and Barrel (home furnishings): 10,000 to 31,000 square feet

• 24 Hour Fitness (fitness): 15,000 to 22,000 square feet

• Jo-Ann Super Stores (arts and crafts): 14,000 to 36,000 square feet

*These aren’t in the expansion guide, but we couldn’t help ourselves.

Here’s the guide. Feel free to add your thoughts and wish list in the comments. Keep in mind the size of the space for argument’s sake.

Comments

jerry carlton 6 months, 1 week ago

Way too small. Entire plot of land would not make a Target parking lot and I doubt that with all the adjacent lots there would be enough. I would also love a Target but I will be dead before the city allows a Target in here. Also it is doubtful that we have enough population to support a Target.

Ken Mauldin 6 months, 1 week ago

The competition would be good for Wal-Mart, but it's just wishful thinking.

Martha D Young 6 months, 1 week ago

Target, Costco, Home Depot, Office Max - my wishful thinking.

Harvey Lyon 6 months, 1 week ago

Lets see:

• High transportation costs to get goods to market.
  • High sales tax
  • above average property taxes
  • 12, 000 year round local residents, about 24, 000 partial/vacational.

Guess we'll see. Seems like a lot of folks are "awlfully proud" of their little Steamboat, which is a nice place......but the fact of the matter is most of the full year residents are pretty "tight" on their spending.

Scott Wedel 6 months, 1 week ago

Not a whole lot of retail stores being opened in the 12,000 sq ft range and those appear to be much higher foot traffic found in malls. The same online shopping that is hurting Staples is hurting other nonwarehouse retailers.

I'd guess that it will either be a local retailer such as Annie's or offices and not retail.

John St Pierre 6 months, 1 week ago

ummm EmphasisSuper Max Pot store???

seems like thats what the Pilot staff is smoking with the list.....

been waiting to see what the Pilot has to say about the fact that the parent company of City Market is about to buy out the Safeway chain..... curious what that may mean for da 'boat !!

we may end up with 2 large empty retail spaces!!

Scott Wedel 6 months, 1 week ago

John,

That merger would probably be easy enough to say is anti-competitive in two grocery store cities such as SB. And thus, they would be strongly encouraged to sell those stores to another grocery chain such as Whole Foods.

scott bideau 6 months, 1 week ago

Wasn't BAP looking for a new HQ? Or maybe it was the police needing a temporary space. I can't recall exactly :)

mark hartless 6 months, 1 week ago

Scott says: "Sort of curious how Steamboat has so many that believe in central economic planning, aka communists, so willing to say what should go into a privately owned commercial building."

He is, of course, exactly right.

It is alarming how many people assume they have a say as to what goes where with not ONE THIN DIME of investment in the matter.

Ken Mauldin 6 months, 1 week ago

C'mon, Mark and Scott. It's a real stretch to suggest that expressing an opinion as-to what business a person prefers moves into available retail space equates to some form of communism. The articles says "it's always nice to dream."

"Hey, Joe. What would you like to see move in where the Sofa World used to be?"
"Well, Smitty, I was hoping a Tractor Supply Company would take that space."

Tell me again how this makes Joe a communist?

I never assumed to have a 'say' without an investment, I just expressed my opinion. BTW, I'm not a communist.

mark hartless 6 months, 1 week ago

I will say it again: It is alarming (to me) how many people assume they have a say as to what goes where with not ONE THIN DIME of investment in the matter.

rhys jones 6 months, 1 week ago

You have inspired a brainstorm, Mark. I'll throw everything I've got into this venture, even the old Blazer. Maybe that'll buy me my cot in our loft hostel.

You following this, Louie? I'll be your resident watchdog. It's a win-win situation.

dave mcirvin 6 months, 1 week ago

...speaking of scabs and wounds.... we could build a $34M Rec Ctr AND name it Stbt 700 but that might be better placed at the old 7-11 site

someone has mentioned Trader Joe's (ave. footprint is 8-12K sq ft)...tho pretty competitive market (no pun intended, honest) Albertson's/Safeway, Kroger/City M, Vitey Cottage & Bamboo.

Dave Young 6 months, 1 week ago

Kroger Co., City Market's owner, didn't bid during the allowable period after the Albertson's / Safeway merger was announced. Let's hope City Market and Safeway continue to compete aggressively and Albertson's doesn't follow their pattern of closing stores.

Among the fastest growing chains with stores the size of Staples are dollar stores. I'd bet on one of them.

Cresean Sterne 6 months, 1 week ago

We had one. From what I understand they couldnt afford rent in central park and closed down. There is a small one in Craig.

Cresean Sterne 6 months, 1 week ago

When natural gocers was put here I always thought that it should have been a whole foods instead. It is a much better style store for a town like this. I would rather see that then any other box chain store and the building is to small for most others. Maybe it should stay vacant for a while so a real plan can be put into place that fits the demographics of Stmbt.

Cresean Sterne 6 months, 1 week ago

Something like a Panera would probably do quite well here with Stmbts demographics although the building may be to big..

John St Pierre 6 months, 1 week ago

actually Panera is not on the west slope as they cannot guarente fresh dough delivery from their dough faclity in Denver..... they are experimenting in certain markets with frozen dough... but then... whats the difference between frozen w safeway ,city market etc.....

Scott Wedel 6 months, 1 week ago

SB may have good demographics, but it is not a city of 50,000.

If you look at the chain retailers that are expanding and want a building of that size then you'll see they are expanding in much larger cities.

Maybe it could be a retail mj shop with production facilities in the back.

rhys jones 6 months, 1 week ago

How 'bout a combination In-N-Out Burger/Arby's/Jack-in-the-Box/Pot Shop with cots and a hostel in the loft where storage used to be? I could live there.

Fred Duckels 6 months, 1 week ago

I think that the MJ facilities will remain across the tracks on the west side of town. This does serve to help the busses remain relevant with the users needing a ride thru town.

rhys jones 6 months, 1 week ago

Okay, Louie, how 'bout a Cabella's catalog store/showroom? Boats, guns, fishing, camping, skiing, snorkeling, scuba, archery, all the outdoor sports, that'd go over big in this town. Couldn't do the spectacle they have in Glendale AZ, wildlife and aquariums, not in that little store, but you could put up a good selection.

Kriss Bergethon 6 months, 1 week ago

Seems like a good time for some local folks with established businesses to get on a great corner. Steamboat Powersports? Moxie? BAP retail? I bet all three would do very well there.

Camille DiTrani 6 months, 1 week ago

A really good art/craft supply store like Pearl Paint would be awesome! There are so many artistic and creative people in this town not to mention that the "craft" section at Walmart has gone completely to #$@%!!!

Scott Wedel 6 months, 1 week ago

That is why people buy online so they can get the specialized products they want.

Tim Keenan 6 months, 1 week ago

Put Trader Joe's there, then put something more fun where Natural Grocer is now.

Amanda Grimes 6 months, 1 week ago

Not that this space would be fitting but, I would love to see a new rec center with a nice lap pool.

mark hartless 6 months, 1 week ago

Tea Party is in negotiatiations to lease the building for Northwest Colorado Headquarters!!!

jerry carlton 6 months ago

Rhys You should have seen Avalanche last night. Very little fighting and lots of goals. Great ending. Nuggets did not work out so well. If you remember 6 months ago, I said Kronke made a mistake. Only 4 more months till football. Not resigning Erik Decker was a mistake.

rhys jones 6 months ago

Jerry -- I DID see that game, and you're right, it was great!! To force overtime with 13 seconds left, then soon win it. Yeah, the Nuggets have dissolved, and Brian Shaw's should be the first head to roll. If you can't get along with Andre Miller, you must have a problem. And the Broncos still need a pass rush; the other guy can pick them apart, if he's any good.

This thread was dead; they won't mind the digression.

Dan Kuechenmeister 6 months ago

Av's had good fortune last night. Empty netter just short and if Johnson doesn't knock net off mooring Cooke from Wild buries an empty netter. Wild goalie makes save and puck goes right to Stasny. In OT wild hits post. Sucks to be a Wild fan

rhys jones 6 months ago

That empty-net save a foot away was more than fortune... not to say I'm an Avs fan; I don't even know their names, since Roy left, and that only because it's funnily pronounced.

john bailey 6 months ago

these Wild scare me, they seem to have our number lately......but alas we shall over come.....

Trudi Jespersen 6 months ago

I would like to see Old Navy or Ross - someplace to buy affordable clothing besides Small-Mart or thrift shops. We have plenty of places to eat already.

rhys jones 6 months ago

Can't say I disagree, Trudi. I will not buy clothes or shoes at Wally World; they invariably disappoint, seams tearing, buttons popping, insoles sliding, always irreparably, made in China, even name brands, formerly American, I will never buy Coleman or Wrangler again.

Can't afford the boutiques, leaving the thrift shops, Internet, and other towns. Nobody would lose business; they're not getting it anyway, not from me anyway. Sure, affordable quality clothing would be nice!! I never went to Staples once. Won't miss it.

jerry carlton 6 months ago

All you Wild fans, Do you feel any better down two to zero? I did not get to see game two as it was on NBSCP whatever that is and I do not spend $250 a month for cable to get that weird station. Avalanche beat the Wild 4 out of 5 during the regular season although I know anything can happen in the play offs. They are in Minnesota tonight on that same goofy channel. I keep up with score by switching to ESPN and watching scores scroll across the bottom of the screen. Nice to have some Wild fans to spar with. The Avalanche are young, growing, and with Roy at the helm are a force to be reckoned with after quite a few years of not being relevant.