Thomas Leen: Important day in history

I enjoyed your article on Constitution Day. In my view, it is the second most important day in our country’s history.

As your article reminds us, the Constitution does not contain the words “separation of church and state.” Those words were used in a letter from Thomas Jefferson to a friend. The Constitution’s First Amendment reads: “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

The prohibition against an establishment of religion was to avoid having a national religion from which the Pilgrims and others were fleeing.

Jefferson’s remark unfortunately is misinterpreted by some to require the complete exclusion of God and religious beliefs from any government-related activities. It is the platform on which some self-identified atheists work to attack every Christian connection to say “state” activity. Their goal obviously is to eliminate any vestige of what we Christians believe to be our Christian heritage. Interpretation of remarks not in the Constitution does not help in understanding what our forefathers intended.

The Frenchman Alexis de Tocqueville wrote many years ago:

“I sought for the genius and greatness of America ... in her fertile fields and boundless forests — and it was not there ... in her rich mines and her vast world commerce — and it was not there ... in her democratic Congress and her matchless Constitution — and it was not there. Not until I went into the churches of America ... did I understand the secret of her genius and power.”

The secret of America’s greatness is etched on her coins: “In God we trust.”

Thomas Leen

Steamboat Springs

Comments

Dan Kuechenmeister 10 months, 1 week ago

And I see today is happy deficit day. Today is the day the government starts spending above and beyond the money they collect in in the form of income, payroll, corporate, estate and excise taxes as well as tariffs, fees and other sources. Any money spent for the rest of the year- approximately $10 billion per day - is added to the national debt. I can't do that at my house, why can our government do that?

Rick Pighini 10 months, 1 week ago

It was 1956 when " In god we trust" first appeared on American currency.

Scott Wedel 10 months, 1 week ago

And that greatness in America quote was never stated by Alexis de Tocqueville. It has conclusively shown to be a quote falsely attributed to him.

John Fielding 10 months, 1 week ago

Inspiring nonetheless.

But in fact, in my own search I have found greatness in all those, and more. These days you may have to wipe off the tarnish, but the true metal is still there.

rhys jones 10 months, 1 week ago

So is Allah the same Guy as God, or is That another Character entirely? I mean, it seems sort of ironic, to be killing each other for the same Diety. Whose God is it, anyway?

Scott Wedel 10 months, 1 week ago

Considering the various wars between Catholics and Protestants, it is clear even among Christians that my God is not your God. Which is why our Founding Fathers wanted government to be based upon rational thought (Enlightenment) and not religious beliefs

John Fielding 10 months, 1 week ago

The Name " Allah" would translate quite literally to "God".

The meaning of the term "god" or even "gods" is entirely subjective other than indicating greater than mortal. Its general understanding in common use is reflective of each subculture within societies.

For that reason among others, when in discussion of this forbidden subject I prefer to utilize the archaic term "Divine Providence" or the ultra modern "The Force" (that moves the Universe).