Steamboat Springs It was long, and it hurt.
The Steamboat Springs High School volleyball team let one get away Saturday, at least in the words of its coach, Wendy Hall. The Sailors fell in five games at Delta, losing, 22-25, 25-17, 25-17, 22-25, 15-8.
2013 Sailors volleyball schedule
- Aug. 30 and 31: Steamboat goes 3-1 at Glenwood Springs tournament
- Sep. 6 and 7: Steamboat goes 3-1 at Moffat County
- Sept. 14: Steamboat 3, Summit 1
- Sept. 20: Steamboat 3, Palisade 0
- Sept. 21: Delta 3, Steamboat 2
- Sept. 24: Steamboat 3, Eagle Valley 1
- Sept. 26: Glenwood Springs 3, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 28: Eagle Valley 3, Steamboat 2
- Oct. 1: Battle Mountain 3, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 8: Steamboat 3, Summit 0
- Oct. 11: Steamboat 3, Palisade 0
- Oct. 12: Steamboat 3, Delta 1
- Oct. 15: Steamboat 3, Middle Park 0
- Oct. 17: Glenwood Springs 3, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 18: Steamboat 3, Rifle 0
- Oct. 24: Battle Mountain 3, Steamboat 0
- Nov. 2: Season ends as Steamboat volleyball falls just short in regionals
“We just lost some momentum, and we couldn’t get it back,” Hall said.
Whether she was talking about just the match, or this section of the team’s season remains to be seen. Steamboat entered the game coming off a huge three-game sweep of Palisade and had high hopes of a 2-0 weekend road trip. A continuing string of errors kept that from being a reality, however.
Steamboat finished with 32 kills and 34 hitting errors, the wrong kind of math for a team hoping to win.
“You’re not going to win with a negative hitting percentage,” she said. “It wasn’t all on the hitters. Our passing was a little off, which causes our setting to be a little off. It all has to work together, and it didn’t (Saturday). It was a team loss.”
Steamboat, 8-3, returns to action Tuesday in its first home match, playing against Eagle Valley.
To reach Joel Reichenberger, call 970-871-4253, email jreichenberger@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @JReich9
Join the Yampa Valley VIP email club