Good morning Steamboat Today readers.
Read the eEdition. View the daily photo gallery with staff and reader photos. You also can follow news and updates throughout the day on Facebook and Twitter.
• An employee who had just completed his first two-hour shift at a new job is suspected of illegally going back into the gas station when it was closed and stealing $85 from two donation boxes. Employee accused of stealing from donation boxes at Steamboat Springs gas station
• After a nearly 2 1/2-hour public hearing Thursday night, the Routt County Planning Commission voted, 4-3, to deny a permit sought by Union Wireless to build a new telecommunication tower 8 miles south of Steamboat Springs. Routt County Planning Commission denies cell tower in rural neighborhood by 4-3 vote
• Leroy Fief, of Craig, who was charged with first-degree murder in December, is on trial, facing a minimum sentence of life in prison. Leroy Fief murder trial underway in Moffat County
• The hospital is launching an expanded community health and safety fair that will feature activities for adults and families. Yampa Valley Medical Center hosts family health and safety fair Saturday
• A dog and its owner were not injured after being involved in a crash Thursday morning in South Routt County. Firefighters rescue dog from rollover crash in South Routt
• The Hayden High School girls volleyball team hit a roadblock Thursday night playing at home. Now the Tigers are hoping a three-game loss to Vail Christian only snapped their winning streak and didn’t sap their momentum. Tigers volleyball stumbles, snaps streak at 3 wins
• Despite a strong start, the Rams fell Thursday to West Grand, 12-25, 25-17, 25-12, 25-19. Strong start can't net Soroco 1st win of season
• The Steamboat Springs High School soccer team won 2-0 against Glenwood Springs on Thursday night, helping the Sailors improve their league standing in a big way. Sailors soccer grabs shutout, looks forward to Saturday showdown
• Another summer of races will come to an end Saturday as the Steamboat Springs trail running community gathers one final time for the Emerald Mountain Trail Run. Steamboat Springs Running Series wraps up Saturday
• The competition between golfers from each city takes place Saturday and Sunday. Craig hopes to take Yampa Cup back from Steamboat in 2013
Tom Ross: Nonagenarian love birds one of Steamboat's oldest living couples
Community Agriculture Alliance: What is historic preservation?
Dog’s Eye View: Love without knowledge
Rob Douglas: Hug a Colorado pot smoker
Steamboat Briefs: Chamber releases lodging barometer for weekend
The Record for Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2013
• Steamboat Springs native Kassidy Fischer is entering into the high-end fashion world, her biggest break coming during the Sept. 5 to 12 fashion week in New York City. Steamboat native making a name for herself in modeling world
• OctoberWest returns with a weekend full of events with Suds & Gub on Friday in downtown Steamboat Springs and the beer garden and beef cook-off Saturday in Gondola Square. OktoberWest returns to Steamboat on Friday and Saturday
• It’s a harsh truth, but at high school and college bacchanals around the country, kegs, bottles and plastic cups are a common sight every weekend. And, though they might not let on, there are a few tears involved whenever someone starts to knock back a drink. As “The Spectacular Now” shows us, sometimes trying to have fun really isn’t all that fun. The Bock’s Office: ‘Spectacular Now’ a meaningful teen drama