Steamboat Springs For the Steamboat Springs High School soccer team, three of the past four games have gone to double overtime.
2013 Sailors boys soccer schedule
- Aug. 31: Steamboat 4, Delta 2
- Sept. 3: Battle Mountain 5, Steamboat 4, 2OT
- Sept. 5: Steamboat 2, Eagle Valley 1, 2OT
- Sept. 7: Steamboat 5, Rifle 0
- Sept. 12: Summit 2, Steamboat 1, 2OT
- Sept. 14: Steamboat 3, Palisade 1
- Sept. 19: Steamboat 2, Glenwood Springs 0
- Sept. 21: Evergreen 1, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 24: Steamboat 3, Eagle Valley 3
- Sept. 26: Steamboat 6, Rifle 0
- Sept. 28: Centaurus 5, Steamboat 1
- Oct. 3: Battle Mountain 3, Steamboat 2
- Oct. 5: Steamboat 6, Palisade 0
- Oct. 12: Steamboat 2, Glenwood Springs 1
- Oct. 17: Steamboat 1, Summit 0
- Oct. 23: Denver North 3, Steamboat 0
But under sloppy weather conditions, the Sailors dropped a 2-1 double-overtime league contest at Summit.
After four games in Steamboat’s opening week of the season, the Sailors got a much-needed rest before traveling to Summit. Despite what coach Rob Bohlmann described as a “hard-fought loss,” he said the team morale still is high.
“Definitely there was disappointment because they care, but they put in a hard-fought effort and they will regroup,” Bohlmann said.
The Sailors jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first half when Carter Kounovsky found the back of the net off a Jack Salyer assist. But with just a few minutes remaining in the half, Summit scored the equalizer.
A no-goal second half and first overtime was ended after a scrum at the net was poked in by Summit in double overtime. The pouring rain resulted in extra bounces and sliding conditions, Bohlmann said, and Summit capitalized on the opportunity.
"It was a really scrappy game in a constant rain,” Bohlmann said. “Both sides had to really deal with the extra skips and bounces.”
Steamboat (3-2 overall) will travel to Palisade on Saturday to take on the Bulldogs. The Sailors’ next home game is Sept. 19 against Glenwood Springs.
To reach Ben Ingersoll, call 970-871-4204, email bingersoll@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @BenMIngersoll