Petition asks governor to come to Moffat County prior to secession vote

photo

Frank Moe

photo

John Hickenlooper

— Craig resident Frank Moe requested that Gov. John Hickenlooper visit Moffat County to discuss various concerns that constituents in rural Colorado have about the state’s current political climate.

Moe’s request comes in the form of a petition, asking the governor to visit northwestern Moffat County before the November election when Moffat County residents will vote on potentially seceding from Colorado.

Hickenlooper received the invitation, and his scheduling office is checking his availability, said Eric Brown, director of communication for the governor’s office.

In late August, Moffat County commissioners voted, 2-1, to put the secession question on the November ballot.

Moffat County residents have mixed feelings about the issue. Some think it’s an essential move toward starting a conversation with densely populated portions of Colorado. Others think it will do the opposite: damaging chances at having an open dialogue about the different issues that rural and metro areas come up against.

Moe, owner of the local Best Western Inn, wants people on both sides to talk about what this means for the area.

He hopes that a visit from Hickenlooper will give residents a chance to get the Front Range perspective, while letting the governor know some pressing rural issues.

“We need to see why they feel the way they do,” he said.

If the governor came to the area for town hall-style meetings, Moe said it would give the community a chance to express its concerns.

“Moffat County needs every voice we can to make it safe for our neighbors,” he said.

Moffat County Commissioner Chuck Grobe said he thinks this is a good idea. While he was the only commissioner who voted against putting secession on the ballot, he thinks it’s an opportunity to confront some challenges.

“I hope we have an open dialogue with (the governor) and don’t nail him to the wall,” he said. “We could see if we could get him to openly look at our area and show him what we have and what we have to lose.”

Moe mailed an invitation, made an online request, sent a Facebook message and even tweeted the governor, asking him to come to Moffat County.

“I’d try sky-writing it, but I don’t think I could afford it,” Moe said.

While he isn’t officially in support of or against secession, Moe hopes that it turned the governor’s head.

Communication with the Front Range has proved challenging for Moe.

“If people have personally not dealt with the governor, Legislature or bills that affect our area, it’s easy to say, ‘Keep communicating,’” he said.

This would be an opportunity for Hickenlooper to show he will pay attention to rural Colorado, Moe said.

So far, 40 people have supported the petition. Each time a person signs it, an email is sent to the governor’s office.

Erin Fenner can be reached at 970-875-1794 or efenner@CraigDailyPress.com.

Comments

Scott Wedel 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Low population county thinks it has the right to control state government.

When a low population county is so delusional that it thinks that it could become the 51st state then there is no reason to believe that a visit from the governor would make the slightest difference.

Moffat County is like the toddler that wants everything or throws a tantrum. Giving in teaches exactly the wrong lesson and just creates a spoiled brat that wants more and throws bigger and louder tantrums. Quick and easy way to stop the silliness would be for the state to say that if Moffat County wants out then state will respect their wishes and withdraw all state services and funding to the extent allowed by law.

John St Pierre 11 months, 3 weeks ago

why dont they just annex themselves to Utah.... I'm sure they will get more respect there..... NOT!!!

But think... that would leave more state funds for the rest of the state,,, as no state patrol, no CDOT.. NO state welfare or food stamps... could be a winner for the rest of us!!!!! Afterall there is so much Tax base there to support themselves... and with all their anti Washington talk... they would not want to take anything from the feds now would they !!!

Dan Kuechenmeister 11 months, 3 weeks ago

It's not just Moffat County. I can't imagine how this goes any where but I think it highlights the frustrations of what is coming out of state and national state houses. The perception of most is that the politicians do not listen to their constituents, they listen to the money. Hard to argue with that these days.

With a few days under their belts to absorb the news that Weld County commissioners are serious about forming a new state with other northeastern Colorado counties, some state legislators who represent constituents here say they support at least a conversation about the creation of a North Colorado.

By Editorial Board, Published: September 9 IT’S EASY to lampoon the dreamers in Maryland’s five western counties and their loose talk of secession — a divorce that would create a pencil-necked nano-state that would be poorer, more rural, less educated and much whiter than the Free State as currently constituted.

rhys jones 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I think these guys are on to something. If it works, that will provide a good model for Texas to secede so we'll have a border separating us (cause alone for immigration reform) and if THAT works --

Could Steamboat secede from Routt County? They've been pushing us around and usurping our resources FAR too long. The City and County of Steamboat Springs, reminiscent of Denver. Heck, maybe we could be a city-state, just like ancient Sparta. Let's run with it!!

PS -- With our flag about to change faster than the Eastern Bloc, I would propose a new standard there too. Any Betsy-Ross types out there?

John Fielding 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Ok Rhys, I'm in, but could we please use Athens as our role model instead of Sparta?

rhys jones 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Great!! I KNEW it would catch on. Now for a name for the upcoming eco-friendly, grassroots groundswell of humanity, which captures the essence of our movement...

How about The Steamboat Free and Open Rangers? Or just Free Rangers.

Who says we can't? Somebody in Denver? THEY'RE a fine example!!

rhys jones 11 months, 3 weeks ago

If the Moffat Co thing flies, then either Maryland or Texas, then our little city-state certainly appears within the realm... then following Texas' example, we too could secede again, and be our own little sovereign nation!! The Switzerland of North America. Why not?

John Fielding 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Why stop there, can the Mountain Village secede from the town? I know there is a movement in Fairview to un-annex itself, must they form their own town to do so or can they just go back to being unincorporated county lands? And what about reverse secession? Can Dream Island be expelled from Old Town?

Think I'll declare my place the independent republic of 12th and Oak. Not much of a tax base though, might need to conquer a few neighboring properties, get tribute payments, slaves and plunder. This definitely has possibilities, hmmmm......

John Fielding 11 months, 3 weeks ago

wups, I'm back to being Sparta aren't I? Just goes to show, power corrupts.....

David Moore 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Only 40 people so far have signed the petition, that does not mean there aren't more out there that support this, it just means that only 40 people out of 10,000 at this moment think this is right, .04% is a very small margin. We shall see when the election comes around. As I have said before, there are more intelligent people living here than we get credit for, especially from our neighbor to the east of us, we are not all dumb redneck hicks. I would bet a paycheck this thing falls through like a sinker without a bobber. It won't happen, now or ever.

mark hartless 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Counties can't secede.

States can't either thanks to Lincoln.

Cities and towns are all at the mercy of Uncle Scam.

However, have any of you ever asked yourselves how many individuals have ALREADY seceded from this country?

Look at the participation rate for everything right down to the participation rate for employment... at a 30+year low.

You joke that some two-bit county can't secede but how many people across this dysfunctional nation have already seceded? A bunch...

You are foolish to presume that laws and regulations prohibit humans from doing what is, in fact, human nature... walking away from untennable situations.

If people walk away from their homes when a bit upside down on their mortgage why would you expect them to NOT abandon their country when it's laws become completely retarded?

mark hartless 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Uncle Scam might keep the acreage, but the people that pay the bills have feet, and they can and will walk.

Look at the labor participation rate folks...

mark hartless 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I could have 16 men working on some project somewhere.

I choose not to run a crew because the leftovers from Uncle Scam's table and the regulatory BS isn't worth my while.

Keep telling yourselves that there is no such thing as sucession... Fools whistling past the graveyard...

David Moore 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Why the "two bit", "toddler throwing a tantrum" remarks? Why does this have to resort to thinking we are lower than you? From what I read, steamboat and routt county make some pretty irresponsible and irrational decisions on a daily basis. Many, many in this county DO NOT support this, please don't demean all of us because of the delusional thoughts of a few.

Scott Wedel 11 months, 3 weeks ago

David,

I did not intend to suggest that the people of Moffat County are acting like toddlers. I intended to limit those comment towards those proposing succession. Those proposing succession are asking for something that will never happen and are acting like they are the center of the universe and everyone else must listen to them. That is behaving like a toddler.

To the normal good citizens of Moffat County, I apologize for lumping you with the childlike behavior of those proposing succession.

David Moore 11 months, 3 weeks ago

OK, thanks. The only reason I said that is because you said "Moffat County", which to me means all of us, I guess I read into it wrong. This secession nonsense is a huge sore spot for me, and yes, it is nonsense. There are a lot of good, quality people here, unfortunately we are undercut by the tantrum throwing toddlers and the people with power.

Brian Kotowski 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Unlikely doesn't mean impossible. That it's never happened before is not a guarantee that it can't. Just ask State Senate President John Morse and Senator Angela Giron. Tantrum-throwing toddlers have tossed both of them out on their keesters; anointing them as Colorado's first ever recalled legislators.

john bailey 11 months, 3 weeks ago

yes, glad to wake up to this news, yall better listen to the people a little more. ~;0)

Brian Kotowski 11 months, 3 weeks ago

The election outcome is all the more impressive in light of the financial disparity - $540k for the recallers v. $3 million for the gun controllers (including 350k from Michael Bloomberg). http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24046748/outside-money-shows-national-interest-colorado-recall-elections

jerry carlton 11 months, 3 weeks ago

David Some of us "dumb redneck hicks" can read and we do not appreciate your name calling. How would you feel if I called you an overly intelligent tie wearing snob?

David Moore 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I only own one tie and rarely wear it. I was not referring to you and frankly do not understand what you are getting at.

Chris Hadlock 11 months, 3 weeks ago

I would suggest that anyone who thinks they have seceded from the United States (Mark Hartless) be denied to privileges of citizenship. He may not want to pay any taxes but he sure does drive on our highways and freeways.

Maybe we should build a big wall around his property so he cannot get out and access the community property he is so opposed to paying for. We could call it "The Nation of Mark" and fly drones over the compound 24x7 to make sure he is not building WMD.

John Fielding 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Chris, that's a great idea, but lets apply it to other non-citizens first. In particular, along the southern border, where in immense amount of dangerous criminal activity is concentrated. Mark is pretty low on the threat list.

Chris Hadlock 11 months, 3 weeks ago

John, I agree that securing the southern border is a "good idea". What I do not agree with are any of the proposed solutions. Anyone that thinks a 3000 mile fence thru the desert is secure has been eating too many peyote buttons.

Just look at how many ways they subvert border security around San Diego and Brownsville. Catapults, tunnels, fence cutters, actual underground trains and these are in areas we can monitor. Just think how those enterprising criminals would subvert a fence over 200 miles from anywhere. Me thinks we need a better solution than a fence.

Mike Isaac 11 months, 3 weeks ago

California tried to split in 2 at one point but the people in the northern counties did not want SF and Sacramento to be part of the deal so the plan is now dead. North Colorado will go nowhere as well. However Pueblo and Colorado Springs had the right idea, did the right thing and made State history last night. It was also a victory against New York as well since their Mayor was funding the losers in that recall. It is good that Moffat county is taking action against the Authoritarians in Denver but there are better ways to go about it than to turn tail and run.

mark hartless 11 months, 3 weeks ago

"Privileges of citizenship"??? You're joking, right?

I pay dearly for my citizenship, amigo.

I also pay extra specifically to drive on the roads, it's called fuel tax and registration fees, etc. I can't help it if Uncle Scam siphons that money off for other supereflous BS.

And if it WAS the "Nation of Mark" (I prefer the "Kingdom of Mark") then your banana republic government, which you aparently now believe has authority outside it's borders but not INSIDE or AT those borders, would not be allowed to fly over my air-space- something they are ALREADY doing over my property AND yours, comrade.

What, pray tell, does a government that cant keep primitive pedestrians off it's property, think it can achieve meddling in the affairs of the world? The FACT is that Uncle Scam doesn't WANT the border secure.

Furthermore, Chris, I wasn't speaking particularly of myself. It didn't even make a small dent in your skull when I suggested that you consider the lowest participation rate in the workforce in over 30 years might just indicate that MANY people, not just myself, have dropped out.

And finally, I would submit that they are not only dropping out and milking the system, but that their loyalty to this nation is fleeting due in no small part to what many of them see as the complete domination of all things by a corrupt, dishonest, overreaching bully of a gubbamint .

mark hartless 11 months, 3 weeks ago

www.nydailynews.com/.../soldiers-protest-war-syria-facebook-article-1.144...

I would respectfully submit that even those who have signed up for military service are starting to reach the end of their patience with Uncle Scam. Many have posted messages on the internet saying they don't want to participate in Obama's war on Syria.

If that's not a little "succession" what is it?