2013 Tigers volleyball schedule
- Sept. 3: Hayden 3, Soroco 2
- Sept. 5: Little Snake River 3, Hayden 0
- Sept. 6: Meeker 3, Hayden 1
- Sept. 7: Hayden 3, Vail Mountain 0
- Sept. 13: Hayden 3, West Grand 1
- Sept. 14: Hayden 3, North Park 2
- Sept. 19: Vail Christian 3, Hayden 0
- Sept. 20: Hayden 3, Hotchkiss 0
- Sept. 24: Hayden 3, Soroco 0
- Sept. 26: Hayden 3, North Park 0
- Sept. 28: Hayden 3, Rangely 0 (homecoming)
- Oct. 4: Hayden 3, Plateau Valley 0
- Oct. 5: Paonia 3, Hayden 0
- Oct. 11: Little Snake River 3, Hayden 0
- Oct. 12: West Grand 3, Hayden 2
- Oct. 18: Hayden 3, Vail Mountain 0
- Oct. 19: Vail Christian 3, Hayden 1
Steamboat Springs It was the end of a long week for Hayden High School volleyball, but the Tigers closed it out on a good note.
Playing its fourth game since Tuesday, Hayden made quick work of Vail Mountain, winning 3-0 on the road.
Hayden opened the match winning 25-16 and 25-22 before cruising to victory with a 25-14 game. Vail Mountain challenged the Tigers in what Hayden coach Christene Planansky called an up-and-down, opening two games.
“We were neck and neck for the first two games,” Planansky said. “It went back and forth, and in the end, we were able to pull ahead. Once we got into the 20s, we were able to finish them off.”
A pair of losses riddled with mistakes during the week had the Tigers reeling with a 1-2 record, Planansky said. Hayden was able to shore that issue up Saturday.
“Today, we did not let mistakes keep us down,” Planansky said. “I think that was the big, important part for me. We did not allow a mistake to run the game.”
Jordan Temple and Abi Velasquez controlled the game at the net. Temple led the Tigers with six kills in the second game alone. Olivia Zehner and Chancey Graham were a defensive presence, recording five stuff blocks as the Tigers were “unstoppable at the net,” Planansky said.
Hayden will have nearly a week of rest before it hits the court again to take on West Grand at home Friday.
To reach Ben Ingersoll, call 970-871-4204 or email bingersoll@SteamboatToday.com
Join the Yampa Valley VIP email club