Denver man charged with assault after incident at Steamboat Springs bar

photo

Routt County Sheriff's Office/courtesy

Robert David Anderson

— The Routt County District Attorney’s Office has filed assault charges against a Denver man after an incident Sunday night at a downtown Steamboat Springs bar.

Robert David Anderson, 25, was charged with second-degree assault causing serious bodily injury, a Class 4 felony.

Steamboat Springs Police Department Capt. Jerry Stabile said the incident occurred while a Steamboat man was celebrating his upcoming 24th birthday at Carl’s Tavern. Officers were called to the bar shortly after midnight.

According to an affidavit filed with the Routt County Court, Anderson’s girlfriend had been kissed by the man earlier that night.

“She said she didn’t think anything of it as he was drunk and stated it was his birthday,” the affidavit states.

A witness told police that later on the man was pushed down by Anderson inside the bar. The man then went outside to find Anderson and told him “your girl kissed me.”

According to the affidavit, the witness said Anderson punched the man once in the face.

Police found Anderson about a block away, and he admitted to punching the man, according to the affidavit.

Anderson told police he never had punched anyone before.

“He said that when (the man) came up to him and made that comment — along with the way (the man) was acting in Carl’s — Anderson said his first reaction was to punch" the man, the affidavit states.

A doctor at Yampa Valley Medical Center told police the man suffered a fractured nose, broken teeth, broken upper jaw and severe facial and nasal lacerations.

Anderson was released from custody Tuesday after posting a $20,000 bond. He is due back in court at 9:30 a.m. Friday. He did not respond Thursday to a message seeking comment.

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com

Join the Yampa Valley VIP email club

Yampa Valley VIP

Comments

Harvey Lyon 12 months ago

Nice girl friend...kissing strangers in a bar. Whatever the fine is, its better Mr. Anderson found out about his girl friend now...LOL

Collin Kelley 12 months ago

Hi Mike,

Your comments are utterly and ridiculously false. This public forum is for friendly debate and providing insightful opinion (as Rhys Jones and Scott Wedel do daily) - your comments are neither. For the record, there have been two "serious incidents" that have occurred at Carl's in the two years we have been in business. How many other bars on Yampa have the same track record over the last two years?

We fight diligently and tirelessly to keep out riff-raff and drunken idiots, every day of the week. We have a zero tolerance policy on drugs being used in our facility and fighting. We have passed every sting operation and test for serving minors or overserving visibly intoxicated patrons that has ever come our way from City and State. All employees that serve alcohol are TIPS certified and most are vetrans of numerous years, able to spot an person who needs 'cut-off'. Oh yeah, and we won Best Bar in The 'Boat for 2013.

To say that we, Carl's, are a 'nasty joke' and a 'pathetic local watering hole' is slanderous and insulting to someone who employs 48 Routt county residents who depend on me to earn a living and afford the 'Steamboat Lifestyle' that we all love. That someone chooses to come into a bar and cause a fight, is neither under our control or at all avoidable, under any circumstance, when you mix alcohol and egos.

I have never met Scott, Rhys and many of the other commenters that I enjoy reading on a nightly basis, but I would love to - Come on down to my 'watering hole' any time guys... I would love to buy you a round and meet you face to face.

Collin Kelley Owner & Executive Chef Carl's Tavern

john bailey 11 months, 4 weeks ago

I might have to take you up on that offer , Collin.~:0) now , where is Carls?

rhys jones 12 months ago

The "cowboys" were out in packs that night, terrorizing not just Carl's, but the OTP too, plus other places I didn't see I'm sure -- strength in numbers, swaggering and braying, driven by alcohol -- while dressed in their drug-store finest, the silver and turquoise, lots of plaid, boots and hats... it was generally a disgusting display. Gangs of drunken kid cowboys. It made the tweakers look good. And it happened MUCH earlier in the evening, it was still light out. For the Record.

rhys jones 12 months ago

Re/the instant event: I was there when it happened, so don't tell me it was after midnight.

I hope Anderson feels the full bite of the law, both in criminal and civil court. From what I understand (I quit following the brawls outside long ago) he sucker-punched the guy, never giving him a chance to defend himself, and that's dirty pool, where I come from. I hope he fries.

bill schurman 12 months ago

Good to keep the police station near 7 & Yampa. Cuts down on fuel costs.

Harvey Lyon 12 months ago

Mike, I wasn't there and that would be for a jury to decide when all the facts are known. I doubt it was a "peck on the cheek"....LOL

You can't argue it wasn't one heck of a good punch and I can tell you it was bad judgement to follow her boyfriend outside to say "hey...she kissed me".

And its bad judgement on the girls part to be "playing games" with a stranger when she went out to a bar (and perhaps traveled to Steamboat on his coin?) with another guy. Again, the "girlfriend/boyfriend" relationship isn't clearly explained.

Honestly, there are many places in this world where both the "girlfriend" and the "victim" would be quickly put to death for their behavior. Seriously.....but thankfully not USA in this day and age. But her behavior in Steamboat, say 120 years ago, may have resulted in a fatal gun fight. Women have responsibilities in these occasions too.

20/20 hindsight vision is always nice. And I, a LONG time ago, took a girl who had professed to be "my girlfriend" for a weekend in Mammoth from SDGO. She got fired up at a bar following a good day of skiing and was flirting and kissing every guy in the bar. I smiled and left her fanny at the bar. I locked the door at my house when I got home, had a great night's sleep and went back to SDGO the next day by myself. She was an adult, she makes and is responsible for her own decisions. Never talked to her again. While I'm a gentleman, I also treat women as grown adults able to behave within sociatal norms and with intelligence. And in this case, I had not been drinking, which is likely why I "smiled". Her behavior was insulting to me and differed from the relationship I had been led to believe. Women have the right to get mad at you, they have the right to leave you, they have every right except to insult you and expect to be treated with continuing affection and support.

Like I said, she showed bad judgement, the victim showed bad judgement and it was one heck of a good punch. While likely illegal, I disagree and believe the guy probably had every right to punch the guy who followed him out of the bar. I wonder what would have happened if "the victim" had ended up punching him out? I wonder what would have happened if she had gone to her boy friend and "explained" the situation immediately "after the kiss".

Mike, I suggest you choose your girlfriends wisely...LOL

Brian Kotowski 12 months ago

Puritans demand that Carl's is cited for providing the alcohol in 3, 2, 1...

Scott Wedel 12 months ago

Unless you think the girlfriend is the property of the boyfriend then it doesn't matter what she did.

If the boyfriend doesn't like her actions then he is free to leave her. He has no right to push or hit anyone.

john bailey 11 months, 4 weeks ago

perhaps mr. Anderson lost his turn with this one, no?~;0)

Mark Ruckman 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Stop and read a little closer before getting wound up

"Anderson’s girlfriend had been kissed by the man earlier that night"

"She said she didn’t think anything of it as he was drunk and stated it was his birthday"

After being pushed down "The man then went outside to find Anderson and told him “your girl kissed me.”

It as a small incident that Anderson blew up into something major. The girlfriend did nothing wrong, the man did nothing illegal, Carl's likely didn't see the kiss nor did they know the mental state of Anderson.

John Fielding 11 months, 4 weeks ago

It would take a remarkable degree of self restraint to not react in a negative manner to the drunken mans provocations. Alcohol is notable for its property of loosening self restraint. The drunk's actions did not go without consequences, neither will Andersen's.

Kevin Nerney 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Don't want to show my age but what happened to the good old days when if someone got punched a fight ensued and the loser bought the winner a beer and a good time was had by all? Now guys fall down crack their head and die or someone pulls a knife the other guy pulls a gun where has all the fun gone?

Scott Glynn 11 months, 4 weeks ago

You can take the boy out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of the boy. Too many people feel they got disrespected and hurts their fragile egos. Nice to get back to a point where it was okay to take a beating once in awhile if you deserved it.

rhys jones 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Ah, for the good ol' days, when everything was so well-delineated, black-and-white, right and wrong... while there are many facets to this seemingly simple scenario.

On the one hand... a "fight" requires two participants -- when one doesn't even attempt a blow, nor raise his hands to defend himself, it becomes an assault. An attack.

On the other hand... to follow an agitated drunk outside, even to explain your harmless actions, is asking for trouble, and one should be ready for it.

Just like chess -- I never learned anything in a fight I won -- but I've learned a few things, like:

• There are two losers in every fight. Literally and figuratively. Even the winner hurts the next morning, unless he picked on a total dufus (the case here), and

• Nobody owns anybody. The trouble starts when they think they do.

Some classy women foment discord, by behaving in a manner guaranteed to provoke a response, because they feel special, when guys fight over them. Harvey hit the nail on the head: SHE caused this situation, and two dorks were happy to comply.

GOD I'm glad I can finally see through that crap. I'm OVER it. These guys will learn from this, one more than the other, I'm afraid.

Mark Ruckman 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Rhys, why are you blaming the girlfriend?

The local went up to the girlfriend and kissed her - not the other way around.

rhys jones 11 months, 4 weeks ago

The article says: The man then went outside to find Anderson and told him “your girl kissed me.”

Just like fighting, it takes two to tango. Not that egging the guy on was the brightest move... even considering his claimed inexperience... now he knows what a jaw can do to knuckles.

Mark Ruckman 11 months, 4 weeks ago

And earlier in the article it said

"Anderson’s girlfriend had been kissed by the man earlier that night"

My assumption is the local after being pushed down turned the story around (saying she kissed him) to piss off the guy - not expecting a knuckle sandwich.

rhys jones 11 months, 4 weeks ago

If Anderson had the sense to recognize the harmless local drunk for what he was -- harmless, and drunk -- he wouldn't be in the trouble he is now.

rhys jones 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Jerry, Mike is apparently a contributor whose comment got quickly yanked -- I think I read it once first, and it WAS very demeaning toward Carl's. The best bar in town is also in the busiest portion, so it's not surprising the riff-raff and lowlifes happen in occasionally. I have observed that their staff has been very professional and calm in dealing with trouble, as well as regular in checking ID's. That establishment was an almost-instant hit, largely by catering to the locals, and it attracts all walks. I don't know who Mike is, or where his anti-Carl's attitude originated, but I assure you, it is without factual basis.

Mike Heineke 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Collin, my apologies to you and your staff. I just found out that I have the wrong tavern and it saddens me that I spoke too soon and used the words that I did. I was referring to another establishment in the area and I do believe they have closed. The story stirred up some harsh reminders of what occurred on a daily basis at that place and how many good people I know of, that were allowed to go too far with their drinking. Trouble always haunted the business. I have been into your tavern and have always been pleased with your staff and the environment there.

jerry carlton 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Thanks Rhys. Think we should keep Peyton Manning? That was fun last night. Hope it is the first of many blow outs this year!

rhys jones 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Jerry -- I'm taking the liberty of poaching this thread because it's dead, and I just made a nasty rant at the Syria forum, feel the need to compensate with some cheer.

Yeah, Peyton looked great!! I LOVE his hurry-up offense; that is a scoring machine, calling to mind Dan Fouts and the old Chargers, when they were the arch-enemy. The defense has compensated for the loss of Dumervil, the secondary is great, it could be a fun year, barring key injuries.

It's fun to see Helton still knocking the cover off the ball, hope he decides to stick around... and I don't care what they do or not with Walt Weiss and Dante Bichette, they earned their stripes as players, don't have to know what they're doing now, it's a good-ol'-boy game anyway... we're used to them being several games back by the time the Nuggets drop out of that race, and they just need to fill some time until the Broncos play again, which they have done for us. To quote Buddy Ryan when he stepped off the plane in Phoenix: There's a winner in town!! [his name is Peyton]

zak ryan 11 months, 4 weeks ago

Wait a minute, im confused. I was a doorman at the ghost ranch, when it was open, and would see multiple fist fights in a weekend. Why all the publicity on this one in particular?? And how does he get charged with a felony for a bar fight while domestic violence offenders are charged with misdermeanors for doing just as much damage, or worse. If they are going to start arresting and charging for drunken brawls, then charge everyone and stop picking and choosing. I watched a long time local get teeth knocked out and multiple facial cuts when a drunk texan smashed a pint glass into his face in 09. The officer apologized to the texan for our local "riff-raff" then hauled the poor kid in from the ER after getting stitched up. So, again, im confused, why is this incident isolated and publicized, when it happens all the time.

rhys jones 11 months, 3 weeks ago

Zak -- Don't know of the '09 incident you refer to, doesn't sound right to me either, haven't heard both sides, but it sounds like Ghost Town offers many thrills to those so inclined. I generally stay away, myself. So much investment capital, wasted, on such a classy dive... but I digress.

This time, a vicious attack was recognized for what it was, not dismissed, and that's a good thing, right?