Steamboat Springs man issued summons for careless driving resulting in death

— The Steamboat Springs man related to the crash that killed a 60-year-old German man riding a motorcycle July 2 on Lincoln Avenue has been charged in Routt County Court with careless driving resulting in death.

If convicted, Scott Penfold faces a minimum of 10 days in jail and a maximum of one year in jail.

Police have been awaiting official lab results from the state before charging Penfold. Chief Joel Rae said those results arrived last week.

Detective Josh Carrell said the test results showed Penfold was not under the influence of drugs. Penfold claims he crashed because of a medical condition.

Penfold was driving the Jeep Liberty that crashed into Fels Bernhard.

Penfold is due in court Nov. 19.

To reach Matt Stensland, call 970-871-4247 or email mstensland@SteamboatToday.com

Join the Yampa Valley VIP email club

Yampa Valley VIP

Comments

John St Pierre 9 months ago

10 days to 1 year for killing a human being ???? By the time this gets plead down what probation and some community service time at the library???

The Pilot reported in the original story that "Penfold was upset".... I imagine the survivors of this careless act will be even more so when they see how Penfold gets to walk away for all intensive purposes....

Jay Willson 9 months ago

John do you know Scott? I do. He's a good man. The guilt he'll carry for the rest of his life for this unfortunate ACCIDENT is punishment enough. At the time of the accident he held a valid Colorado driver's license and was not under the influence of drugs or alcohol. He simply lost control of his vehicle due to a medical condition that afflicts millions of other Americans. Putting Scott behind bars will not bring Mr. Bernhard back to life, nor will it ease the pain of his friends and family I imagine. Bottom line is that there are inherent risks we undertake when traveling by plane, train, or automobile. That risk increases significantly when traveling by motorbike. My intent is not to appear insensitive to the victims involved, only to emphasize that this unfortunate event was indeed an accident and not a crime.

John St Pierre 9 months ago

So what you are saying is that he knew the dangers inherit to his condition but made a conscious decision to operate a vehicle knowing the inherent dangers his operating could pose ??????? If thats the case then its certainly borders on reckless endangerment or manslaughter.

jerry carlton 9 months ago

I know none ot the parties involved. I understand HIPA. If this is a medical condition that millions have, should they be driving? Pretty scary even if you are in a car. Two cars meeting at 65mph equals 130. Not a good outcome for anybody.

Scott Wedel 9 months ago

If he knew prior to the crash that he had this medical condition then he is no less dangerous than someone under the influence when behind the wheel.

John Fielding 9 months ago

The only such condition that affects millions I can think of is diabetes. Those who live with it for years become acutely aware of the factors that trigger hyper or hypoglycemic episodes. If that is the condition involved here, a decision to be driving at such a time is entirety discretionary, thus the charge of carelessness or even negligent manslaughter would be appropriate.

Pat West 9 months ago

I hope the Germans understand that in the USA, if you do not get justice in the criminal court, civil penalties can be warranted. I would also wonder if the charges will remove Penfold's driving license, forever. This is a terrible incident, not accident, and IMO, if you kill behind the wheel that should be the last time you drive a vehicle.

Jay Willson 9 months ago

Allow me to clarify... I do know Scott but I don't claim to know what specific medical condition he has. I can only assume it is a common one since it did not preclude him from having a valid CO driver's license. The main point I was trying to make is that IMO Scott is not a criminal and does not belong behind bars.

Scott Wedel 9 months ago

If you have a medical condition which could cause a seizure then you are not allowed to drive. You state that you have no medical conditions that includes seizures when you apply for a driver's license.

Conditions like epilepsy are miserable to have because it is so limiting for a condition that so often doesn't happen. But the problem is the terrible consequences if a seizure occurs at the wrong time.