2013 Sailors football schedule
- Aug. 30: Eagle Valley 48, Steamboat 12
- Sept. 6: Steamboat 37, Summit 32
- Sept. 13: Steamboat 57, Moffat County 15
- Sept. 20: Glenwood Springs 37, Steamboat 10
- Sept. 28: Steamboat 35, Montezuma-Cortez 27
- Oct. 4: Steamboat 27, Battle Mountain 16
- Oct. 11: Palisade 56, Steamboat 0
- Oct. 18: Rifle 50, Steamboat 10
- Oct. 26: Lutheran 61, Steamboat 7
- Nov. 1: Delta 50, Steamboat 12
The passion wasn’t there, at least in the eyes of Steamboat Springs High School football coach Lonn Clementson. The Sailors fell to Lutheran on Saturday, 61-7, slipping to 4-5 on the season.
“There wasn’t a lot of passion for the game,” Clementson said. “We had a couple of individuals who played well, but as a team, it was a disappointing effort.
“They beat us soundly, and there aren’t any excuses.”
Steamboat got its only touchdown late in the fourth quarter. Jimmy Weltzheimer started things with a long kickoff return. Mitch McCannon took a pass near the goalline, and Zach Holm ran it in shortly after.
“Zach played very hard all day. He had very little protection in the passing game,” Clementson said. “I think today was one of those lessons young men need to learn. Nothing is given to you, and you have to work for everything that you get. We’ll try to learn from this and see if we can rebound for our last weekend of the season.”
Steamboat finishes its season at 7 p.m. Friday with a trip to Delta.