Roger Good: Ready to accept new challenges

Many of you already have received your ballots for this fall’s election. Some of you already may have submitted your mail in ballot.

photo

Courtesy

Roger Good

For those of you who have not, I would suggest that the school board election is by far the most important local decision you will make when you cast your ballots this fall.

The good news is that Steamboat has been recognized as one of the best school districts in the state of Colorado. This brings a great challenge. While many Colorado districts aspire to becoming accredited with distinction, we already have arrived at the starting line of excellence and our journey to national recognition is now just beginning.

The bad news is that Colorado is not in the top tier in the U.S., and the U.S. is not in the top tier worldwide.

Our top challenge is defining a new standard that goes beyond Colorado that engages our community, our school district and our school board to set meaningful attainable goals to become competitive on a national and international stage.

My previous career allowed me to travel globally, work with corporations, business leaders, as well as hire people who were products of their countries education system. It is essential for leaders of today’s schools to have a global view of the competitive landscape our students will be entering. My background and experience give me a unique perspective that will be essential if we are to accept the challenge of becoming a world class school district.

In attending school board meetings, as well as my role on the education fund board, there are two topics I would like to address.

Any discussion surrounding challenges throughout the next few years must include school finance. Historically, Steamboat voters have been generous to our school system when presented with a well-reasoned need.

Much discussion today surrounds Amendment 66, and while I oppose this because of the financial impact to local taxpayers, a more forward-looking view of education funding specifically for Steamboat Springs should be considered.

Currently, our schools continue to see an increase in enrollment year over year. Assuming this trend continues, we may very well be faced with the need to expand school facilities. If our schools need additional funding, this should be a public process with the residents of Steamboat Springs brought to voters on a local basis rather than in through a statewide discussion. As a school board member, I will strongly advocate for local control.

One of the most passionate discussions in recent months is the controversy surrounding Common Core, a new national standard. One area that can be addressed locally is academic standards.

Our school district will tell us that our standards currently are much higher than what is required by Common Core — let’s remember that we are accredited with distinction. That puts us in a different position from many districts in Colorado.

As a member of the school board, I would bring my global experience to begin a discussion that establishes a local standard of educational excellence that we could define as “World Core.” Our community is uniquely positioned to call on well-traveled community members to define a set of standards that meet the national and global challenges.

Thanks for your vote.

Comments

scott bideau 10 months ago

Please join me in voting for Roger. His involvement with the education fund board and proven forward thinking there (innovation grants) is what this school board needs. It's about more than just class sizes and being one of the best in the state. As Roger mentions, it's about producing the best children in the world so they can compete on a global scale.

I don't know Tony Russo, but Roger's documented reputation speaks for itself without needing to speculate on his commitment.

babette dickson 10 months ago

We have a serious problem with some candidates running for our BOE. During the last BOE meeting, we have heard supporters of M. Good, and others opposing A66, that if our district will have to cut a few millions, we, the teachers, should raise money to save programs. We find amazing that in the USA, the richest country in the world, some Americans expect teachers to sell cookies and cup cakes to save school programs. As it is said all over the world: "Only in America". Americans refuse to fund public education because the premise is "you deal with your own problems. If you need help: organize a spaghetti or cookie fund raiser". Whether it is access to education or health care, the American culture is summarized as follows: Deal with your problems and issues and, once you reach the bottom of the pit, we might help. So much for a country, or a state, or a county, or a city who supposedly cares about its youngest, most vulnerable population: Our students, and particularly sped, ell, gt and at risk.

A66 opponents should be ashamed of themselves. If A66 does not pass, I expect them to offer in 2 or 3 years the best financial tricks to save 30 teacher positions when the State of Colorado will not adequately be able to fund public education. Finally, to A66 opponents, please do not storm any future Monday night's BOE meetings to vent your frustration when SSSD will have to eliminate x positions and x programs your children love.

What about the children indeed? Nowadays the impact on one's wallet is more important than public ed. Good luck to all who currently have children in P-12. "Chacun sa merde" indeed! Vote for A66, it is the right decision for the kids.

Mark Ruckman 10 months ago

I would have a lot less issues with 66 if the extra taxes charged to Routt county citizens was used for Routt county schools. Instead 2/3 or more of the tax $'s given by our county will go to support schools in other counties.

I would love for a supporter of 66 why we should give millions of $'s a year to students in other counties.

Babette are you going to be the 66 supporter to explain why 2/3 of our tax contribution should be sent to Denver schools?

Melanie Turek 10 months ago

Mark--because that's the way a civilized society works. Sometimes you give more than you get; sometimes you get more than you give. Why should students in poorer counties get a worse education than ours just because of where they live?

Mark Ruckman 10 months ago

Each county has taxes on top of what the state gives the county for education. We already contribute to the state fund, any gaps need to be made up by the citizens of the county.

If you want more of tax $ to make education better then 1st break up the teacher unions and tenure that protects bad teachers and put in a merit system for good teachers. Otherwise we just throwing good $ after bad.

I do believe teachers are a huge asset and education is important, but I have real issues with spineless politicians looking for easy answer that involve my income. Most of the politicians get huge campaign contributions from the teacher union(s), so they don't want to rock that boat even though it is broken.

Melanie Turek 10 months ago

And I am not supporting 66 per se; I am just answering your question about why Routt county residents should pay for other students' education.

john bailey 10 months ago

sounds a lot like FASTER. only we didn't get to vote on that . shoved down our throats, typical. hula rocks......~;0)

Pat West 10 months ago

John, FASTER is building a new $3million bridge over the Elk river. We pay, and we get.

Ps, Duckels is doing the work, so that's a local company getting paid from FASTER to build Routt county a new bridge, but you are against that, right?

john bailey 10 months ago

oh no i'm not against that, were did you get that at. hum, only 3 mill , thats all we get for what we paid. really? I , I'm giddy . i'll use that bridge maybe 2 times a year. how about my road , RCR 14 needs some work , we gonna fix that up too? carp , I forgot , they laid down almost 1.5 miles of asphalt , nice only 9.5 to go....... thanks Connell

Pat West 10 months ago

RCR 14 is a county problem, and I for one would love to see taxes raised on those that live south of Yellowjacket to pay for the improvements. Or do you think that somehow everyone should chip in a little to fix your road? That sounds like communism.

john bailey 10 months ago

Communism? unbelievable....how bout you stick to the city.

Dan Kuechenmeister 10 months ago

Maybe Pat needs a hula lesson. I get to drive on 14 as well. Not always fun

Pat West 10 months ago

Lighten up, I feel for the problems with rcr14, and would vote for a tax to fix this dangerous road.

jerry carlton 10 months ago

The bridge will function as advertised. Current public education is a failure. Eliminate it and privatize education. Then government will not be able to mess it up any longer.

Pat West 10 months ago

...and only the rich will learn to read. Another step toward class warfare, great idea Jerry.

Scott Wedel 10 months ago

I think it is not entirely surprising that taxes collected in wealthy districts are spread around the state.

I don't like 66 because usually a large tax increase comes with reforms so that all of the money is spent more effectively. As I've posted elsewhere, good school districts spend money effectively, but rarely does more money fix poorly performing school districts. The troubled districts have deeper issues including typically an established culture of not willing to make the changes to correct the poor performance.

So this sort of tax increase should have come with provisions forcing under performing schools to duplicate the educational program of an excellent school. To ask the taxpayer for additional money should require shaking up the parts of government that are working poorly. For instance, a district like Hayden should not be eligible for additional funds as long as they have 10+ fewer educational days that SB and their high school math proficiency scores are so bad.