The Colorado Department of Transportation will grant funding to a safety improvement project proposed for Colorado Highway 9. In addition to shoulders, the project will add underpasses and overpasses on the highway that will allow wildlife to avoid collisions with motorists.

Courtesy

State to spend millions to make highway safer between Silverthorne and Kremmling

— When Kathy Connell and Colorado's Transportation Legislation Review Committee hit the road last month, traveling from Kremmling to a conference in Steamboat Springs, Connell told the lawmakers to remember all the dangers on Colorado Highway 9.

Take note of all the places that don't have shoulders, she said.

Now imagine you're a biker.

Now imagine you're driving to Steamboat for the first time in a blizzard, or a deer or an elk runs in front of you.

The latter scenarios are common experiences for many Routt County residents on their trips to the Front Range.

“Any time I go down to Denver, I not only think of those previous accidents where people got injured or killed (on this road), but I'm recognizing I'm putting my life in danger,” Connell said.

Connell, a State Highway commissioner from Steamboat, was very upbeat and enthusiastic Monday when she could say the state soon will spend tens of millions of dollars to help make the roadway safer.

The announcement came after more than a year of planning and fierce competition from several other projects across the state that also aim to make roadways safer.

“I feel a great sense of success that we got through this process with all the other competing variables,” Connell said.

The Highway 9 project will improve a nearly 11-mile stretch of the highway between Silverthorne and Kremmling by adding eight-foot-wide shoulders, wildlife fencing and new wildlife overpasses and underpasses.

The overpasses and underpasses will allow wildlife to get to the Blue River that is on the opposite side of the highway from their winter range.

From 1993 to 2012, there have been 191 people hurt in accidents on the highway, according to CDOT. There have been 14 fatal accidents with 16 deaths. From 2007 to 2011, wild animals were involved in 35 percent of the accidents.

“We've all known people who have had problems on that road,” Connell said.

The Highway 9 project will receive Responsible Acceleration of Maintenance and Partnerships funding, known as RAMP. The RAMP funding request for the project is $36 million.

Connell said the demand for the RAMP funding was about three times greater than what CDOT had the funding for.

To be considered for the funding, proponents of the projects had to provide a significant private match.

The Citizens for a Safe Highway 9 committee helped raise $9.2 million that came from local governments in Grand and Summit counties along with private business owners.

Connell said the hope is to start putting the nearly $46 million project out to bid in July.

She said the project will have many benefits beyond just improving the safety of the road.

When new bus service takes travelers from Denver's Union Station to Dillon, for example, Connell said an improved Highway 9 will make it easier and more enticing for tourists to make their way up to places like Steamboat.

The new fencing also should prevent wildlife deaths on the highway. CDOT estimates wildlife deaths totaled 455 in a recent eight-year period.

Connell joked that with less prey being killed in collisions with motorists, the area's mountain lions will come out winners too.

To reach Scott Franz, call 970-871-4210, email scottfranz@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @ScottFranz10

Comments

Eric Meyer 9 months, 1 week ago

645.5 million in recommended projects statewide and not a dollar to be spent in Routt County? http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/RAMP/staff-recommended-ramp-projects

Pat West 9 months, 1 week ago

I wish C-Dot would just spend the money to paint bike lanes on US-40 from Holiday Inn to downtown. As a bike friendly community, US -40 could serve as a example of our commitment to safe roads for cyclists, instead the shoulder is used as a turn lane, we have 45 mph speeds from Ski Haus to past Hilltop that develop congestion into downtown where the speed limit is only 25, and as our one main road, US-40 should set an example for drivers to watch for cyclists throughout Steamboat.

bill schurman 9 months, 1 week ago

Simple, stay off of Highway 40. Take the bus with your bicycle.

Harvey Lyon 9 months, 1 week ago

Or how about the Core Trail? It runs right by the Holiday Inn!

mark hartless 9 months, 1 week ago

The deer situation on that stretch of road is at epidemic/ infestation levels. Not sure about the amount of $$$$ they intend to spend, but if it works it'll help a lot. Last winter I skidded at a 30 degree yaw along the yellow line and threaded right between two deer that were walking right down the center of the north and south bound lanes. I still don't know how I missed them both or kept control of my truck but it wasn't pretty.

Never drive that stretch of road at night if you can avoid it.

Scott Wedel 9 months, 1 week ago

I thought you were going to propose mounting a large magazine semi automatic rifle on your truck and clearing out the wildlife. :)

mark hartless 9 months, 1 week ago

Scott,

I would not propose a large magazine, semi-automatic rifle for this application.

This situation clearly calls for a FULLY automatic, BELT-fed weapon. Ma Deuce might be a little overkill for deer (pardon the expression) but I would think quite a little enjoyment could be had and the problem at least temporarily resolved with a 1919 belt-fed mounted in the rear of a pick-em-up truck.

The honest reason I would probably not seriously suggest it is the transient nature of those beasts... they'd migrate right back in no time.

Come to think about it, that's the same reason I wouldn't apply that solution to ski bums as well.

John St Pierre 9 months, 1 week ago

I can see it now.... road hunters sitting at these funnels!!!!

Scott Wedel 9 months, 1 week ago

Or allow road hunting between the funnels to force the deer to use the funnels.

And a belt feed machine gun to clear out a 20 mile section of road? You'll need a semi following you with ammo. Just send a request to DHS and ask for some of their stored ammo.

walt jones 9 months, 1 week ago

Just what we need more delays on the way to Denver due to road work! Taking long enough this summer.

Yes deer are an issue on that stretch but unless the put some sort of food attraction for the deer to use the tunnels they will cross wherever the heck they want.

John Fielding 9 months, 1 week ago

A similar system is in use in NW Wyoming between Pinedale and the Hoback Rim, formerly a slaughterhouse of deer and fatal for many people. I drove it this summer and saw no evidence of recent kills, the high fences on each side and many exit only ramps for those few who got onto the road seem to work very well.

I drove Rt 13 today from Rifle to Craig today and saw dozens of blood stains less than a few weeks old.

I am very careful myself, have narrowly missed scores of deer and elk over the last 4-1/2 decades and million plus miles. But just last summer on a dark stretch of I-70 near Georgetown I got an elk at 65 mph. Thank God for 10 year old Suburbans, front crumple zone took the hit so well the airbags did not even deploy, the boys asleep in the back were unaware of why we stopped. Went right out the next week and bought a 10 yr old Yukon.

This is expensive, but in a short time will pay for itself in savings of damages, injuries and lost productivity of citizens killed, not to mention the tragedies averted. This is exactly what tax money should be spent on.

rhys jones 9 months, 1 week ago

I don't need no stinking gun -- just give me a car. To date I've bagged five deer and one elk with one. The latter came through the windshield of my new used Subaru, totalling it and almost me. John's right, that Rifle-Craig stretch of 13 is as bad as it gets, with 40 west from Craig not far behind -- but anywhere in the mountains is possible, at any time of day.

I swear by deer whistles. They aren't magic, won't work around curves, but will in most circumstances -- keep them clean, and the faster you go, the better they work. Under 40, forget it. I've never seen an animal in the road with a functioning set of deer whistles on the vehicle, and that covers a LOT of miles.

David Moore 9 months, 1 week ago

I ran through a herd of about 15 elk that came out of nowhere just south of the ColoWyo gate on 13 while returning home late one cold, snowy December night. Roads were snowpacked and I was only doing 45-50, but I brought a 900 pounder up onto the hood of the Chevy Cavalier I was driving and nearly through the windshield, which held (thank you Yampa Auto Body). Three hit the front drivers side of the car and two in the rear (evident by the large, body shaped dents) so hard it put me sideways thirty feet off the road into a snowy covered ditch. Trooper told me I was lucky the head of the elk that came up on the hood went to the side of the drivers doorpost, otherwise I would have been shish-ka-bobbed by the full rack on him. Came out lucky on that one, however the elk with three of four broken legs did not, trooper had to put him down. Anyway, I think things like this are a step in the right direction in the least and I would like to see some of this happen on south 13 and west 40, the carnage on those two roads is unreal sometimes. However as one above said, deer and elk will cross wherever they want to, you cannot force them to cross at certain points unless you line the road with 12 foot fencing along its entire length, which I don't ever see happening. As far as deer whistles, they do work but have limitations as Mr. Jones stated. I own a big Dodge Ram truck that seems to be a natural deer whistle itself. Deer on the side if the road will perk up and turn tail as I approach them, have seen this over and over for the 18 years I have had my pickup and never once have I even come remotely close to hitting one, even standing on the road they run wildly away as I come down the road. I guess that may be why they named them "Dodge".

rhys jones 9 months, 1 week ago

David -- It's been my experience that elk usually cross in single-file, coincidentally limiting losses -- maybe you found a dumb bunch. I ran into a herd of deer swarmed on the road once, took my best Mario Andretti moves to only take out two of them -- one went THUMP THUMP THUMP under the car...

I downed my elk on 470 outside Denver, just south of the 285 interchange -- brake lights in the left lane had me distracted, and by the time I saw him he was 20 yards straight in front of me; at 65 mph, any evasive maneuver would have been counterproductive, brakes ineffective -- so I just aimed at him, slightly off-center, and braced myself. WHUMP. I was then amazed, first of all, that the car was still rolling straight ahead -- although I had to tear out part of the broken windshield to see where I was going -- spitting out blood, glass, and hair, none of it mine -- and second, that I was even still alive and unscathed, except for a nasty cut on my thumb where it got pinched between the steering wheel and the glass. I didn't stop 'til I got to Burger King, where I called Mom and said "Come and get me!!" The car was mangled.

While I say I've never seen an animal in the road using deer whistles, I HAVE seen them fleeing that noise en masse, in the fringes of my headlights, on many occasions. They work. I had just bought the car, hadn't had the chance to install them yet.

The mountain lion didn't seem too bothered, his eyes amber pinpoints, next to 131 late one night...

Stuart Orzach 9 months, 1 week ago

Has anybody considered driving at a safe speed? All these body counts are bringing up memories of Vietnam.

If you can't stop within your sight distance, you're driving too fast for the prevailing conditions. The posted speed limit is the maximum speed during daylight hours under optimal road conditions.

Also, I agree with the blogger who suggested a lower speed limit from the Holiday Inn into town. The current 45 mph limit is too high for such a congested area. The predictable accidents at the intersection with Pine Grove Road and the intersection with Walton Creek Road would not be so numerous if the speed limit were lowered to 35. The reduction in speed as you approach 3rd Street, on a downhill no less, is too abrupt. Drivers are still velocitized when they hit Old Town. Besides, we just spent taxpayer money to beautify our medians. Don't you want to give visitors a chance to look at them?

As far as a bike lane on Route 40, I am against it. Bikes belong on the road and a bike lane gives no assurance of safety. On the contrary, it may give cyclists the illusion of safety, and it may feed the false notion, held by some motorists, that bikes don't belong on the road.

Now, as far as riding on the Core Trail, that's dangerous! It is a multiple use trail. There are no hard and fast rules. Just when you think you've seen everything on that trail, you encounter something new.

Eric Meyer 9 months, 1 week ago

I am with Stuart on driving a safe speed based on the the conditions. I drove this route almost every weekend for three years. Is there a lot of wildlife? Yes. Fences and over/under passes from here to Denver? No thanks.

Being alert and slowing down will not eliminate all of the accidents, but it is foolish to think spending more than 4 million dollars/mile is the best solution. Please slow down and watch the road. Wildlife is not the only thing you may come across around the next corner.

Pat West 9 months, 1 week ago

Stuart, a bike lane on US40 would be a constant visual reminder to driver to watch for bikes, and simple lanes to protect bikes from right hand turners could easily be put into place. Go drive Harmony in Ft Collins, 55 mph, plenty of businesses, and side street yet the bike lane is clearly marked, and signed to remind drivers the "Yield to bikes". We have lots of drivers visiting from places that may not have the volume of cyclists on their roads, and this step would send a clear signal that bikes belong on the roads.

This is why Ft Collins is a Platinum Bike Friendly Community and we are just a Gold. Steamboat can do better, and it's time we took this step.

And let's just state the obvious, if a billionaire did not live on this road, and push this idea for "improvement" with his own money it would never be happening.

David Moore 9 months, 1 week ago

Really? Who is this billionaire? And where? Only curious is all.

Pat West 9 months, 1 week ago

Just show that if you have enough money, you can influence elected officials to do anything.

Love to see who and how much he contributes to local and state candidates. This project wasn't even on the C-Dot radar, and now it's funded to millions. Hmmm

David Moore 9 months, 1 week ago

Wow Mr. Jones, my story pales in comparison. It was well below zero that night and was around one in the AM, nobody on the road so I started walking the 4-5 miles towards the ColoWyo guard shack. A generous City Market truck driver picked me up and took me the rest of the way. As far as the single file, I know you are correct, however these guys literally appeared out of nowhere and as my car moved forward, they contacted the places they did taking me sideways with them across the road and into the ditch. I hit about 4-5 lucky animals into the herd, they were not walking and they just kept right on coming. As far as too fast for conditions, I am guessing that some think 20 miles per hour below the limit is still too fast, sorry, not in my book. I have been driving for 38 years, since I was 10, and have taken driving courses including the winter driving course. Not that makes me some sort of expert, but I feel confident on the road and posses skills far better than your average driver today, never an accident and many avoided due to my attention and focus while driving. This was one of those situations where skill would not have even remotely mattered, one second clear road, next second plowing through a herd of elk up from the ditch. Also, if they want you to drive slower at night, they should post that. The sign says 65, nothing else, and, that is what I will travel. If an animal is dumb enough to step in my way, well, they pay the price, I have great insurance with literally no deductibles. There are multi speed signs now posted along 13 for day and night driving, but they were not there at the time of my accident. At any rate, like I said before, anything to make the situation better is welcome, however the cost seems really high. The core trail is a different monster altogether and I know why most people avoid it even though it is relatively convenient. I have almost come to fists between the tubers and the kayakers standing on the trail completely blocking it. Even being nice normally does not illicit a courteous response, I have heard some words I never have before though.

rhys jones 9 months, 1 week ago

David -- Your story ain't bad. You've been there. You know there are circumstances beyond your control. Ten below is one thing, black ice another, and a herd in the road around a blind corner, something else entirely. Physics being what they are, something's got to give. I've been driving Colorado winter backroads at all hours of the day for 40 years, in all conditions, whiteout, peering over your hood to follow the tracks in the snow, the driving snow a wind tunnel you don't dare stare into... did a 360 on US 6 once, by Silverthorne, lucky to pull THAT one back in... used a snowbank as a brake once, on Red Mountain Pass, the road suddenly frozen on the north-facing slope, car sliding (bro's beemer) and that school bus just ahead, getting closer... and once by Telluride, headed toward Lizard Head, the wind was so fierce from behind, it created a reverse wind tunnel effect, as if I was going backwards, plus I couldn't see the road, but I dared not stop, lest somebody plow into me from behind in the whiteout; dunno today how I made it through that one.

My record time from Denver (Wadsworth) -> Steamboat is 1:45 and man THAT was a cruise!! Even that time, after coming down Rabbit Ears, I saw a line of elk, crossing the highway at the limits of my headlights -- slowed down anyway, even though the last one was crossing now -- there's always a straggler, so I stayed on the brakes -- and here he came, bouncing to catch up to his friends, me glad I slowed down, 1:44 was not to be.

I didn't ride the core trail all summer, but in prior years, a horn on the handlebars went a long way in averting conflicts, and yes, people can be quite thoughtless in their misuse of that trail.

David Moore 9 months, 1 week ago

Wow, my record from C-470 to Craig is 2;30, and I thought I was moving. You and i could drive together, without nails in the dash:)

John Fielding 9 months, 1 week ago

Drove to Denver and back today, looking carefully for evidence of wildlife collisions. Surprised to see far fewer than on the Meeker highway yesterday. In fact only two were clear and recent, maybe heaver rain up on 9 has erased older stains. But one was real bad looking, must have been multiple animals, just over a rise on a slight curve.

This is not all about deer in the road, the improvements proposed will make the road much better in many ways, the 8' shoulders alone are probably 90% of the cost.

Saw a moose tonight on the way home, there is one you don't want to hit. But the biggest scare I ever got was back about 1969, wild horses running out of nowhere, crossing two lane blacktop (no shoulders) near Gallup with a Greyhound bus in the oncoming lane. That was a close one.

rhys jones 9 months, 1 week ago

Wow John, you just reminded me of another time. It was late at night (most good stories are) and I was approaching Craig from the west on 40, on the last downhill... as I had crested the hill, a big buck was in the oncoming lane, crossing into my lane -- but he had a sudden change of heart which I attributed to my deer whistles, was now backpedaling as fast as he could, but of course his hooves had little purchase on the pavement, so he was spinning his wheels. He had failed to notice the semi approaching in that lane, was still slipping, and that's when we passed each other... I'm thinking, if not for those whistles, that deer was MINE. And there was a big splat behind me.

Pat West 9 months, 1 week ago

I find it interesting that the anti-government, pro-personal responsibility, posters on the forum don't have more of a problem with CDot spending so much on the safety of Elk, when in reality, as Stuart points out, if we drove slower, this would not be a problem. The night speed limit is already down to 55mph, why not lower the speed limit all the time and use the $45 million to help rebuild the flood damaged road on the front range, or improve plowing, or add shoulders to US40 from Kremmling to Muddy pass. Elk underpasses should be low priority when many of our roadways are not safe for all the human users.

Even Mark Hartless endorses this plan, so I guess now he has joined the herd of sheepeople, that love government pork when it benefits their interests.

John Fielding 9 months, 1 week ago

Why don't we set the speed limit at 25, fewer accidents. less wear and tear on the road surface, would not need those 8' wide shoulders, bicycles would be safer wouldn't need a bike lane.

Why don't we outlaw night driving altogether, that would fix this problem.

It has been shown repeatedly that most people will drive as fast as the condition road allows for them to feel comfortable, adequately safe and in control. Artificially lowered speed limits do not work, they only promote disrespect for laws and the regulatory mindset.

I drove up from Rifle again tonight, more fresh blood on the road. I watch so close it hurts my eyes, and keep it slow enough to stop when something is in the road ahead.. But not long ago on that same stretch, three cow elk crossed in front of me at a run, came in from the side at a speed that never let them into the headlights. Only the Hand of Providence spared me that time, but a wildlife fence would have done it by human means.

Pat West 9 months, 1 week ago

Just showing the true nature of the right wingers on this forum. To be clear, we are about to spend $45 million on 10 miles of roadway so that we can drive faster. I do not believe it is about safety, rather it's about political influence and a billionaire. We have all been swindled and there is no doubt that someone else in the state lost out on funding for their project because this is funded. Like you say John, people drive as fast as they feel safe, so improvements will just make us drive faster. we should post warnings, and let everyone take their chances, and save $45million. What if we fixed the dreadful rock fall areas between NAPA and silver spur? How about passing lanes on US40 before Muddy Pass? What of the no shoulder area outside of Kremmling, on the rollers leading to Wolf Mt res.? IMO those areas warrant attention before this.

This forum seems dominated with right wing conservative posters that are obsessed with questioning government decisions, but no one has a problem with this choice? Everyone proudly posts how they break the law, posting their best times from Denver, showing the real desire we have for this road is more speed. Our next step should be to petition CSP to stop enforcing, or entirely eliminate speed limits. This is a democracy, and we should be able to vote away any laws we don't want, right? If you drive too fast it's only your fault if you hit a deer, elk or a icy spot that puts you into the ditch. Hopefully you will not kill someone attempting to outdo Rhy's sub-2hr drive time.

Like I said, this is more about a billionaires influence on political decisions than a real need for Elk safety.

jerry carlton 9 months, 1 week ago

Pat I am so far to the right you would have a heart attack if I gave you all my views. I only break the speed limit if I am passing some one driving under the speed limit or if my attention strays and i then get back to the speed limit. I drove over rabbit ears for 6 years delivering electrical supplies with no tickets and hitting no critter bigger than a prarie dog. Over 300,000 miles. Which billionaire are you refering to on this swindle? I doubt that Kathy Connell is a billionaire although I really know nothing about her. If she is then the profit on a 46 million dollar contract would be chump change to her or any other billionaire. I do not support this expenditure either so we agree on that. A very brief synopsis of my problem with you liberals is that they support murder of unborn children,aka abortion, and you liberals support destroying a definition of marriage that has been in place for over 2000 years. I could go on for hours. You liberals have won and now run this country and will continue to run it until it collapses or Jesus returns, whichever happens first. That does not mean you and your buddies can shut up us conservative right wingers.

Harvey Lyon 9 months, 1 week ago

Pat,

When I first read the article that's exactly what I thought....lots of money for questionable return. Basically its a "nice to have". However the funding of "nice to haves" isn't going to change until "we the people" tell our representatives "thanks but no thanks.......spend the money or more urgent priorities". Yes, 9 and 40 can be troublesome at times, 131 also as well as the route thru Meeker to Rifle. But proper precautions and planning limit the risk. We need to tell our representatives to be a bit more frugal with our tax dollars and we need to stop pressuring them for "nice to haves".

I''d much rather listen to Respresentatives tell me how they came to a consesous on budget priorities, balanced the outlay with income and how they'll make a list of "nice to haves" when we have years of plenty or the necessity to replace it anyway.

rhys jones 9 months, 1 week ago

Hey, David said he made it to Craig in 2:30, so assuming he slowed down through town, that had to be a fun ride too. I heard of a 1:30 time once, but that was likely bar talk; that's hard to imagine, that Dodge was pretty fast.

Damn right I'll drive as fast as I deem safe. See, I've got a theory: It's all about time. The less time you are exposed to danger on the highway, the less your odds of being involved in a mishap. So the faster you go, the less time you're out there. It's that simple. If I didn't apply this principle religiously, I'd still be in Utah somewhere. Like, five trips ago.

I've got a better idea how to use the $45 million. Forget the underpasses, unless they come with a wildlife retraining program too; the deer and elk will cross where they damn well please, as they also have not been taught to read.

Take that money, and invest it in something low-yield but solid, like municipal bonds... the interest alone would be considerable... then set up a fund, and anybody who smashes a deer or elk in this stretch gets their vehicle repaired or replaced out of this fund. $500 here, $2K there, the whole damn herd couldn't add up to half that. The body shops prosper, and everybody wins!! Except the elk.

I've got a theory about that too; I think those are suicide elk. I mean really, what's the point...

Pat West 9 months, 1 week ago

So it's liberal and not libertarian to want government to stay out of our private lives? Abortion, gay marriage and other hot topic issues should not be judged by elected officials, let your God do that at the pearly gates. I believe Jesus said " judge not lest you be judged", or is that from Metallica? I've got a strong heart, and open mind, there isn't anything you could say to shock me. Bring your best.

jerry carlton 9 months, 1 week ago

Pat We are not all as intelligent and computer literate as you are. You could have posted the link in your first post. Then I would have had a clue what you were talking about. I now agree with most of your post. You can take your shots at conservatives all you want, but Libertarian or Liberal, murder of unborn children is wrong, revising the definition of marriage is wrong, and God will judge you and I whether we like it or not. The 'government staying out of our lives' train left the station a long time ago and it is not coming back.

Pat West 9 months, 1 week ago

Jerry, Haha, I'm hardly computer literate, and I did post that link two days ago in response to David Moore's question, look back at the replies.

Lastly, we start a debate about government waste, find a common ground we agree on, and what happens, you turn the debate to abortion and gay marriage. That's why the Republican Party is ruins, dominated by those that spilt the country, instead of working on common problems we can agree to fix, instead of stonewalling over an issue that cannot be resolved without a compromise, or the ability to say we disagree on That, but This we can fix.

jerry carlton 9 months, 1 week ago

Pat It was up there earlier as you said. I apologize that I missed it. I do not apologize for anything else I have said. "Just showing the true nature of the right wingers........" is what got my dander up. I agree the Republicans are a disgrace, just less of a disgrace than the Democrats. Libertarians are just an afterthought along with the Socialist party, Communist part and the rest of the fringe parties. Most Christians in this country have been intimidated into silence in this country but since I no longer have a job to worry about, I do not have to accept that intimidation. If you hav read many of Rhys's posts, I do not know how you could refer to him as a "right winger"?

'

rhys jones 9 months, 1 week ago

Got two wings, Jerry: Left wing likes consparacies. Right wing drives fast. Screw the deer.

I'm actually an avid Capitalist, can't get enough money, while also being a "tax-and-spend Democrat" (Keelor) and once I get rich, I won't mind sharing the wealth. So I say now.

Speaking of that $45 million -- put me in charge, we'll invest it, everybody will be happy (see above) and whatever is left over we'll put in the schools, right in the classroom, per pupil, economics notwithstanding, and wouldn't that be great? We could probably offer free lunches to all students; that highway could feed the next generation, and don't call it "road kill" it's "wild game" we're just maximizing resources.

jerry carlton 9 months, 1 week ago

Rhys Like the Broncos. Bad Broncos when they are resting or goofing off and when they decide to play, very good Broncos. Two weeks of rest and healing now ,hopefully a blow out of Chargers and then the 3 weeks that will make or break the season. I know you do not like hockey but Avalanche are 10/1. Last season it took 24 games to get 10 wins.

rhys jones 9 months, 1 week ago

Hey Jerry -- If it wasn't for one play in Indy, where Peyton handed them a TD, the Broncos would probably be 8-0 right now, and that was a bad day. The only power I see in the NFC is Seattle, maybe New Orleans; the AFC West is solid top to bottom, then there's Indy and the Patriots... this is developing into an interesting year!! It's not that I really don't like hockey, I just don't have time for it, or college anything either. This computer, and the Windows jobbie to its left, keep me chasing my tail.

I really think we should consider using Highway 9 as the basis for our new School Lunch program, and if successful, immediately expand it to 13, then 550 between Montrose and Ridgway -- this could be a model for the nation. Feed the kids!!

mark hartless 9 months, 1 week ago

Pat,

What do you mean "...even Mark Hartless endorses[it]..."??

I did no such thing. In fact I questioned the amount of $$$$ being propoesd. The only thing I affirmed was that getting large game away from that stretch of highway would be a good thing. Never once did I say it would be worth the cost, that it would be succesful, that it was imperative that government act or that I couldn't continue taking my chances on that stretch of road.

I have not joined the "sheeple". I do not bleat for a gubbamint sheppard to protect and feed me from cradle to grave. I understand the consequences of hitting an elk, deer, other vehicle, etc, at a high rate of speed... that's why my wife and I drive a large, gas-guzzling SUV. We purchase insurance if we feel it is warranted and personally accept the inherent risks associated with life elsewhere.

I know you would like to find some example of how someone like me needs, wants, begs, or accepts some form of help from Uncle Scam so you can say "aaah-haaa!... everybody is a socialist..." I'm happy to disappoint you.

jerry carlton 9 months, 1 week ago

Rhys I agree with the Indy game. Hillman's fumble did not help right at the end of the game. I am glad they sat him this week. Maybe that will get his attention and and Ball's to hold on to the ball. Do not count out San Francisco or Indy. Indy has beat San Fran, Seattle, and Denver.

Scott Wedel 9 months ago

"revising the definition of marriage is wrong"

So we will be judged for not having arranged polygamous marriages? Marriage has been redefined so many times. It was redefined from polygamy to a couple. It was redefined from arranged marriages with dowries to true love. It was redefined to accept interracial marriages. Marriage has been redefined from the man being legally defined as the provider and the woman being obedient servant to now having no particular legally specified obligations for either spouse.

It is the redefinition allowing two adult spouses as compared to a man and a woman that goes too far and the preceding redefinitions were okay?

rhys jones 9 months ago

Jerry -- I was referring to the pick-6 Peyton threw deep in our own end; take that away and it's a whole new game. They need this bye week to heal up a bit. I won't miss them -- much -- now that we've got Nuggets again. Tonight!!

This discussion started about government waste, then the poor deer came into it; I tried to suggest a reasonable alternative to benefit all... but to digress this thread with talk of marriage and abortion smacks of preaching... let's pull it back in...

Feed the kids!!

jerry carlton 9 months ago

Rhys I can not quote the exact scripture without paraphrasing but Jesus said " If you are ashamed of me, my father will not know you." No one is going to hurt my feelings accusing me of preaching or caling me a right wing conservative. They also will not intimidate me into silence as have been many Christians.