Oak Creek The Soroco High School volleyball team showed what it could do Friday night but for only one set. After that, Hotchkiss ran away with the game, winning 3-1, to ensure the Rams would finish at the bottom of the Western Slope League.
2013 Rams volleyball schedule
- Aug. 30: Vail Mountain 3, Soroco 0
- Sept. 3: Hayden 3, Soroco 2
- Sept. 5: Vail Christian 3, Soroco 0
- Sept. 7: 1 p.m. at West Grand
- Sept. 13: Beth Eden 3, Soroco 0
- Sept. 14: 3:30 p.m. at Plateau Valley
- Sept. 19: West Grand 3, Soroco 1
- Sept. 21: 1 p.m. at Paonia
- Sept. 24: Hayden 3, Soroco 0
- Sept. 26: 5 p.m. vs. Rangely
- Oct. 1: 4 p.m. vs. Vail Christian
- Oct. 3: Vail Mountain 3, Soroco 2
- Oct. 4: Soroco 3, North Park 1
- Oct. 5: Soroco 3, South Park 0
- Oct. 10: 5:30 p.m. at Debeque
- Oct. 12: 1 p.m. at Meeker
- Oct. 18: Hotchkiss 3, Soroco 1
- Oct. 19: North Park 3, Soroco 1
- Oct. 22: districts at Paonia
Hotchkiss won, 25-18, 21-25, 25-21, 25-22.
Soroco, admittedly groggy in the first set, had its chances after it played well to win the second set. It bounced back from a 15-10 deficit to tie the third set at 16, then it trailed 20-19 soon after. Hotchkiss scored the next four points to close in on the victory.
In the fourth set, Soroco led throughout and 20-15 late. Hotchkiss’ Daryl Batt served up a series of aces and helped pull her team back in it. Hotchkiss tied things at 21, then again at 22 before scoring the final three points to win.
“The girls know their mistakes, and they were trying to clean them up,” coach Jeannie Jo Logan said. “They looked good in the second game, like they should, but then some mental errors got us.”
Soroco, 2-14, is back on the court Saturday, traveling to play at North Park. Friday’s result ensures the Rams will travel to league champ Paonia for the opening round of the district tournament Tuesday.
North Park “is an opportunity to win, and it would be a league win,” Logan said. “They still need to go out and play hard.”
To reach Joel Reichenberger, call 970-871-4253, email jreichenberger@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @JReich9
Join the Yampa Valley VIP email club