Steamboat Springs It’s the tail end of the regular season, but Steamboat Springs High School soccer coach Rob Bohlmann’s group is playing with a playoff mentality.
2013 Sailors boys soccer schedule
- Aug. 31: Steamboat 4, Delta 2
- Sept. 3: Battle Mountain 5, Steamboat 4, 2OT
- Sept. 5: Steamboat 2, Eagle Valley 1, 2OT
- Sept. 7: Steamboat 5, Rifle 0
- Sept. 12: Summit 2, Steamboat 1, 2OT
- Sept. 14: Steamboat 3, Palisade 1
- Sept. 19: Steamboat 2, Glenwood Springs 0
- Sept. 21: Evergreen 1, Steamboat 0
- Sept. 24: Steamboat 3, Eagle Valley 3
- Sept. 26: Steamboat 6, Rifle 0
- Sept. 28: Centaurus 5, Steamboat 1
- Oct. 3: Battle Mountain 3, Steamboat 2
- Oct. 5: Steamboat 6, Palisade 0
- Oct. 12: Steamboat 2, Glenwood Springs 1
- Oct. 17: Steamboat 1, Summit 0
- Oct. 23: Denver North 3, Steamboat 0
The playoffs won’t be finalized until the Sailors conclude their regular-season schedule Thursday, but Steamboat took care of business Saturday on the road, beating Glenwood Springs, 2-1.
After racing out to a 1-0, first-half lead, Nathan DePuy darted from left to right across the field, positioned the ball for his right foot and knocked in the deciding goal. Bohlmann said Glenwood Springs’ field is narrower from what Steamboat is accustomed to, so “time and space are very limited,” he said.
With one game left on the season, the Sailors (7-3-1 league) don’t necessarily control their own playoff destiny, but they can help themselves immensely if they can pull off a league win over second-place Summit on Thursday.
By kickoff Thursday, Bohlmann said his group should have a good idea of its playoff chances.
“A lot of scenarios can still happen,” Bohlmann said. “We have to win out. We’re in our last phase.”
Steamboat will honor its 10 seniors at halftime of the Summit game for senior night. Kickoff is at 6 p.m.
To reach Ben Ingersoll, call 970-871-4204, email bingersoll@SteamboatToday.com or follow him on Twitter @BenMIngersoll
Join the Yampa Valley VIP email club